The Student Room Group

Universities in Netherlands

Hi!
So, i am considering going to university in Netherlands, and i would love to hear your experience with the unis there and with the cities these unis are in. Like, how international are they, what support do people not speaking dutch get, accomodation, nightlife, etc...So far i am inclined to go to Groningen, but that is mainly because that is the uni i researched the most! I am from Europe and i have been living in a tiny village my whole life and i go to school to small town (population - 20 000) so i would like to live in a bigger city for university, however, i have no idea how big city has to be to feel like... you know, big city. For me big city means that i won't be able to get to know the whole city in a week, and i won't meet somebody i know every five minutes. At the same time, i don't want to pay 800 euros a month for accomodation, so from what i have heard, Amsterdam is out... But feel free to correct me!
I will probably have opportunity to visit some of the cities, but not all, so i need to narrow it down a little...
these are the unis which have my course (psychology) in english...
U of Groningen
Leiden U
Erasmus U Rotterdam
U of Maastricht
U of Amsterdam
Tilburg U

Thank you!
I have not studied at any of those you listed (I did a summer school in Utrecht). I have visited all the places you mention apart from Tilburg. Personally I'd choose Leiden as I've loved the place when I have visited, even in the winter. Most of the other cities you'd possibly wish to visit and the main museums and art galleries are within an hour's journey from there.
Original post by barnetlad
I have not studied at any of those you listed (I did a summer school in Utrecht). I have visited all the places you mention apart from Tilburg. Personally I'd choose Leiden as I've loved the place when I have visited, even in the winter. Most of the other cities you'd possibly wish to visit and the main museums and art galleries are within an hour's journey from there.

Fun fact about Leiden, the only UK PM who was educated at a foreign university (John Stuart) attended there. The main facts I remember about him was that people burn effigies of him because he raised taxes on the Americans, which partially caused the American Revolution, and he also apparently had very nice legs.
Let me point out one thing majority of the Dutch are taught English since the age of 10 and finish when 18.
They need to take an English test before they graduate school. There are some expections if aren't capable taking the test they are exempt from it-this is rare.

From experience the under 40s are more fluent in English than the over 40s.

Thank you! I will make sure to visit Leiden! What do you think about Groningen?

Original post by vicvic38
Fun fact about Leiden, the only UK PM who was educated at a foreign university (John Stuart) attended there. The main facts I remember about him was that people burn effigies of him because he raised taxes on the Americans, which partially caused the American Revolution, and he also apparently had very nice legs.

Yes, legs are important :biggrin: thanks!

Original post by Other_Owl
Let me point out one thing majority of the Dutch are taught English since the age of 10 and finish when 18.
They need to take an English test before they graduate school. There are some expections if aren't capable taking the test they are exempt from it-this is rare.

From experience the under 40s are more fluent in English than the over 40s.

I am aware of that, however, i can't imagine that all the sports clubs and societies are run in English... Have you lived in Netherlands? If so, how easy it is to find a job that doesn't require Dutch? I intend to start studying dutch, but i can't imagine that i am going to be fluent next year no matter how hard i try...
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
I am aware of that, however, i can't imagine that all the sports clubs and societies are run in English... Have you lived in Netherlands? If so, how easy it is to find a job that doesn't require Dutch? I intend to start studying dutch, but i can't imagine that i am going to be fluent next year no matter how hard i try...

Students mostly end up working in hospitality and catering mainly in bars
Thank you! I will make sure to visit Leiden! What do you think about Groningen?

It is a bit remote from other parts of the Netherlands I thought, though a pleasant place. I went there on the recommendation of someone I studied with, and there was a seal sanctuary I visited nearby which was another reason to visit.
It is a bit remote from other parts of the Netherlands I thought, though a pleasant place. I went there on the recommendation of someone I studied with, and there was a seal sanctuary I visited nearby which was another reason to visit.

Original post by Other_Owl
Students mostly end up working in hospitality and catering mainly in bars

Thank you both! I will probably visit Leiden, Rotterdam, Groningen and Amsterdam to decide where i am gonna apply...
Reply 8
Groningen is pretty decent as a place to live - fairly remote by Dutch standards though. Leiden is beautiful and has very good transport links to Amsterdam, Haarem etc so a great base to explore the area.
Original post by ajj2000
Groningen is pretty decent as a place to live - fairly remote by Dutch standards though. Leiden is beautiful and has very good transport links to Amsterdam, Haarem etc so a great base to explore the area.

Thank you for your reply! I am not sure if i would mind that groningen is remote... I mean 2,5 hours by train is not that much. I am not sure i would like to live in Leiden since it is fairly small... Do you have any experience with these universities? I am now mostly curious about Rotterdam Uni Erasmus, Groningen Uni and Leiden Uni... I don't want to deal with the accommodation market in Amsterdam...
Thank you for your reply! I am not sure if i would mind that groningen is remote... I mean 2,5 hours by train is not that much. I am not sure i would like to live in Leiden since it is fairly small... Do you have any experience with these universities? I am now mostly curious about Rotterdam Uni Erasmus, Groningen Uni and Leiden Uni... I don't want to deal with the accommodation market in Amsterdam...

I know them more as places to live as I lived in NL and had friends in Groningen and Leiden. I agree with you than Leiden is small but it is commuter distance to other places which gives a lot of variety.
Original post by ajj2000
I know them more as places to live as I lived in NL and had friends in Groningen and Leiden. I agree with you than Leiden is small but it is commuter distance to other places which gives a lot of variety.

Ok, thank you! I decided that i will apply to Groningen and then probably to Leiden.
Ok, thank you! I decided that i will apply to Groningen and then probably to Leiden.

Both will be wonderful - have you not looked at Maastrict? I think a friends daughter did psych there but a long time ago - and she was Dutch speaking.

I think one member on here was looking to go to Groningen for postgrad business - he might be able to give you some advice. I'll link him in if I can remember the username.
Original post by ajj2000
Both will be wonderful - have you not looked at Maastrict? I think a friends daughter did psych there but a long time ago - and she was Dutch speaking.

I think one member on here was looking to go to Groningen for postgrad business - he might be able to give you some advice. I'll link him in if I can remember the username.

Hi! i considered Maastrict, but i don't like the location at all. It is on the border with Belgium and it is really near Germany. I know they claim that they have the biggest percentage of international students (53%) but i am worried that majority of these will be Belgians and Germans. Nothing agaist them, but i want bigger diversity and i think i will get that more in Groningen and in the other cities i mentioned. Also, i love duch culture (from what i have seen) and i worry that it wouldn't be so strong in Maastrict due to it being so close to other countries...
thank you! don't worry about the name, i think i saw psychology groningen applicants somewhere so i will just find somebody there :smile:

Quick Reply