The Student Room Group

Still getting minimum maintenance loan?

My mum has sent in her financial information and SFE sent me an email to say my application has updated (as expected). However, the website says that I'll be getting £4,289 for my maintenance loan, which is the minimum. It says it's been paid to me as well. My family earns just over 30k a year, and they can't support me much if at all through university. So I was wondering if SFE will update it over the course of a few days, or if I should call/email in case anything went wrong.
Where are you studying?

Are you sure that’s the final amount? Normally they send out two letters. One to confirm that you qualify for the minimum amount and then another normally closer to the start of your first term which sets out the actual amount you receive.
normally your application gets updated after the info is sent in to confirm receipt, which is pretty quick, and then a few (days or) weeks later once it's been processed at which point it'll have the correct invoice
Reply 3
Original post by AD490995
Where are you studying?

Are you sure that’s the final amount? Normally they send out two letters. One to confirm that you qualify for the minimum amount and then another normally closer to the start of your first term which sets out the actual amount you receive.

I'm studying at Leicester. They haven't sent me anything exclusively saying I've qualified for the minimum amount. When I sign into SFE it just says I've been paid £4289. Which is making me think they'll update it after a while. The worrying thing is that I got that update after my mum sent in her financial information. Not before.
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
normally your application gets updated after the info is sent in to confirm receipt, which is pretty quick, and then a few (days or) weeks later once it's been processed at which point it'll have the correct invoice

Okay. I hope this is the case.
Original post by t.s.i.t.s.i
I'm studying at Leicester. They haven't sent me anything exclusively saying I've qualified for the minimum amount. When I sign into SFE it just says I've been paid £4289. Which is making me think they'll update it after a while. The worrying thing is that I got that update after my mum sent in her financial information. Not before.

Well your location explains a lot if that is your final amount. Your maintenance loan isn’t meant to cover all your costs. It’s just something to help. Leicester isn’t exactly an expensive place to live.

Also, you should check to see if you qualify for a bursary from your uni. Given your income then I’m sure you’ll get something extra? It’s worth looking on the website just in case.
Well your location explains a lot if that is your final amount. Your maintenance loan isn’t meant to cover all your costs. It’s just something to help. Leicester isn’t exactly an expensive place to live.

Also, you should check to see if you qualify for a bursary from your uni. Given your income then I’m sure you’ll get something extra? It’s worth looking on the website just in case.

facepalm the maintenance loan only discriminates on location if you study in/out of london and live at home/on your own, and even then the only difference is ~£2k for the whole year, not £4k instead of £9k

the maintenance loan is meant to cover all costs iff SFE judge your parents to not have enough money to support you (ie have an income within one of the lower brackets, the highest being 60k which doesn't apply to op)
facepalm the maintenance loan only discriminates on location if you study in/out of london and live at home/on your own, and even then the only difference is ~£2k for the whole year, not £4k instead of £9k

the maintenance loan is meant to cover all costs iff SFE judge your parents to not have enough money to support you (ie have an income within one of the lower brackets, the highest being 60k which doesn't apply to op)

But you are studying outside of London? And it’s a lot more than 2k. I’m in my last year at LSE, my brother goes to Surrey, I get nearly 4K more than him.
So you really shouldn’t be expecting that much.
also what’s stopping you from getting a part-time job whilst you’re at uni? Loads of people do it.

And no, you’re wrong, a maintenance loan isn’t meant to cover all your costs. Just ask any other uni student.
But you are studying outside of London? And it’s a lot more than 2k. I’m in my last year at LSE, my brother goes to Surrey, I get nearly 4K more than him.
So you really shouldn’t be expecting that much.
also what’s stopping you from getting a part-time job whilst you’re at uni? Loads of people do it.

And no, you’re wrong, a maintenance loan isn’t meant to cover all your costs. Just ask any other uni student.

it's about £2.8k - https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students
op isn't asking about other ways of financing, that's not relevant, they want to know if SFE has made a mistake with their application

i am a uni student, i have more money than i can spend which, like most people, is enough to cover £4-7k in rent and have £50 minimum as a weekly budget during term. only very few students get part time jobs because of a shortfall
it's about £2.8k - https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students
op isn't asking about other ways of financing, that's not relevant, they want to know if SFE has made a mistake with their application

i am a uni student, i have more money than i can spend which, like most people, is enough to cover £4-7k in rent and have £50 minimum as a weekly budget during term. only very few students get part time jobs because of a shortfall

4-7k will get you somewhere anywhere outside of London. So good for you.

And you’re just wrong. Loads of students get part-time jobs.
Original post by t.s.i.t.s.i
My mum has sent in her financial information and SFE sent me an email to say my application has updated (as expected). However, the website says that I'll be getting £4,289 for my maintenance loan, which is the minimum. It says it's been paid to me as well. My family earns just over 30k a year, and they can't support me much if at all through university. So I was wondering if SFE will update it over the course of a few days, or if I should call/email in case anything went wrong.

£4289 with just over £30k income doesnt sound right, contact SFE.
Don’t you need both your parents to put in their information? Even they’re not together? I’m not sure about this, but it sounds like something has gone wrong. You might just need to confirm you only live with your mum or something.

Have you used the student finance calculator so you know how much you should be getting? I would have been expecting it to be about £6000-7000. I would wait a few days before contacting them just in case it updates.
Hey there, I recently had to send in extra information because I forgot to ask one of my other guardians so I filled in the relevant details and sent them in about a week ago (keep in mind our household income is about £50k), but its telling me that I'm only getting the minimum as of today. There's no additional loan information, and I think its pretty unfair because I won't see a penny of that money. Is it just wise for me to wait or should I call them and ask if the loan is under further review for additional?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending