The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University 2021 Applicants Chat Thread

:wavey:
This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying for Durham for 2021 entry :woo:

Here's some icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
Subjects you are currently studying:
Predicted grades:
GCSE (or equivalent) grades:
Which other unis you are considering applying to:
Why you like Durham:
What colleges you are considering:
Anything else?

Useful linksDurham website
Recommend me a college thread
Ask a Durham student thread

Some frequently asked questions from previous years (will be added to):

FAQ

Find threads for the other unis you're applying to here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6630884
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The FAQs are helpful, especially the college questions for me :biggrin:

What course I’m applying for: Law
Subjects I’m currently studying: Physics, Maths and History
Predicted grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 8888888766
Which other unis I’m considering applying to: Manchester and Northumbria definitely but still undecided for the last two (between Cambridge, Newcastle York and Warwick)
What colleges I’m considering: Either John Snow or Josephine Butler

Anything else: I’m hoping to join some societies or clubs for baseball and climbing (if there is one). I would love to learn German at their language Centre and hopefully go a year abroad (but I’m not too fussed about this).

Does Durham allow you to do a language module, if you aren’t doing anything with languages?
(edited 3 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Lemur14
:wavey:
This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying for Durham for 2021 entry :woo:

Here's some icebreaker questions:

What course are you applying for:
Subjects you are currently studying:
Predicted grades:
GCSE (or equivalent) grades:
Which other unis you are considering applying to:
Why you like Durham:
What colleges you are considering:
Anything else?

Useful linksDurham website
Recommend me a college thread
Ask a Durham student thread

Some frequently asked questions from previous years (will be added to):

FAQ

What course are you applying for: Business & Management w/ French
Subjects you are currently studying: Obtained Diploma in Engineering w/ Business
Predicted grades: 3.1/4
GCSE (or equivalent) grades: 3.1/4
Which other unis you are considering applying to: Reading, Newcastle
Why you like Durham: Reputation
What colleges you are considering: St. Aiden, Cuthbert, Chad
Anything else?

1. Any advice on whether the course structure or reputation is more important?
2. Thoughs on Durham's Business School as compared to Henley Business School and Newcastle's Business school?
Original post by PetitePanda

What course I’m applying for: Law
Subjects I’m currently studying: Physics, Maths and History
Predicted grades: AAA
GCSE grades: 8888888766
Which other unis I’m considering applying to: Manchester and Northumbria definitely but still undecided for the last two (between Cambridge, Newcastle York and Warwick)
What colleges I’m considering: Either John Snow or Josephine Butler

Anything else: I’m hoping to join some societies or clubs for baseball and climbing (if there is one). I would love to learn German at their language Centre and hopefully go a year abroad (but I’m not too fussed about this).

Does Durham allow you to do a language module, if you aren’t doing anything with languages?

Hi, I'm about to go into final year at Durham (my year abroad in Germany was cut short rip). To answer your question, yes you can take German as one of your classes without your degree being "with language". You wouldn't do this through the official Modern Languages department at Durham though, but with the language centre like you said.
Original post by tryhard264
Hi, I'm about to go into final year at Durham (my year abroad in Germany was cut short rip). To answer your question, yes you can take German as one of your classes without your degree being "with language". You wouldn't do this through the official Modern Languages department at Durham though, but with the language centre like you said.

Thank you for answering my question

Glad to hear it :smile:
To add to the answer above, you can only take outside modules in certain years in most courses, for instance, in maths you can take them in years 1 and 3 (and 4). From a quick look on the law page it looks like you can do outside modules in years 2 and 3.
Reply 6
Hi guys, I saw that there was no Durham 2021 thread so I thought to make one. To start discussion u could specify:

1) What A-levels (predicted grades)?
2) What course are you applying for?
3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?
5) What extra things are you doing to support your application?
6) What other universities are you applying for?

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by esor123
Hi guys, I saw that there was no Durham 2021 thread so I thought to make one. To start discussion u could specify:

3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?

Perhaps people could also say which college they are interested in too.
:bump:
Anyone signed up for the virtual open day next week?
Original post by Lemur14
:bump:
Anyone signed up for the virtual open day next week?

Meeeee :biggrin: I really want to see the colleges
Meeeee :biggrin: I really want to see the colleges

Yes the colleges are really great to see! Hopefully they do them justice on the virtual platform :smile:
Hi everyone!

What course are you applying for: Modern Languages and Cultures (with year abroad)

Subjects you are currently studying: I take French, Spanish and English Literature.
Predicted grades: A, A, A*
GCSE (or equivalent) grades: 998888777
Which other unis you are considering applying to: Oxford (won't get in but worth a try lol), Edinburgh, Warwick, Liverpool
Why you like Durham: I fell in love with the city the first time I visited, and the course is perfect for me. I also live on the outskirts of Newcastle, so a 20-30 min train journey away from Durham, which is great as I am far enough away from home to get my independence, yet close enough if I need help, etc.
What colleges you are considering: St. John's or St. Mary's - someone please tell me more about these! :smile:
Anything else? I've also been given a place for the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School for French - if anyone has been accepted to the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School, especially if it's for French, say hi! It's sad we can't actually do the residential because of corona :frown:
Original post by looneymcluna
Hi everyone!

What course are you applying for: Modern Languages and Cultures (with year abroad)

Subjects you are currently studying: I take French, Spanish and English Literature.
Predicted grades: A, A, A*
GCSE (or equivalent) grades: 998888777
Which other unis you are considering applying to: Oxford (won't get in but worth a try lol), Edinburgh, Warwick, Liverpool
Why you like Durham: I fell in love with the city the first time I visited, and the course is perfect for me. I also live on the outskirts of Newcastle, so a 20-30 min train journey away from Durham, which is great as I am far enough away from home to get my independence, yet close enough if I need help, etc.
What colleges you are considering: St. John's or St. Mary's - someone please tell me more about these! :smile:
Anything else? I've also been given a place for the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School for French - if anyone has been accepted to the Durham Sutton Trust Summer School, especially if it's for French, say hi! It's sad we can't actually do the residential because of corona :frown:

Ayeee that's the same with me (location wise). I havent gotten place on the sutton trust one but I did with their north east one - the supported progression.
Reply 13
Original post by esor123

3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?

1) AAA in Maths, Biology, Economics (so might not apply)
2) Econ w/ management
3) 999877766
4) Pretty, good rep, nice area, like the course
5) currently reading econ books, social media coordinator, Uni of warwick econ lecture series, Experian girls in data challenge, yt channel, volunteering, waitress
6) Bristol Edinburgh St Andrews Cardiff
Reply 14
Hello everyone!!

1) I'm from the US so its a bit different.... but for AP exams: 5, 5, 5, 5 in world history, us history, English, and Spanish (plus more next year)
2) Politics
3) again, different country but... hopefully a 1510 on my SAT
4) It looks beautiful, I love how old it is and the collegiate system. Plus its a great education.
5) online courses, books, academies outside school, (hopefully) a youth commission for my city, etc.
6) Oxford, Leeds, Newcastle, St. Andrews (plus a few more in the USA)

I'm trying to figure out the college to choose but its a bit difficult
Original post by esor123

3) GCSE results:
4) Why Durham?

1) Economics (A*), Government and Politics (A*), Maths (A)
2) Economics and Management
3) 9, 8, 8, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, A
4) Loved the collegiate system, the gowned formals, history and prestige ( oh... and the cheap pints)
5) Ran a small freelance writing business, Bank of England 2.0 Challenge, Student Investor Challenge, read a **** ton of books
6) Oxford (rejected, as expected), Manchester (Insurance), Leeds, Newcastle
Hi everyone!
1 - English Lit, Graphics, BTEC Business ( D* A* A, A* if I work hard )
2 - Liberal Arts or Eng Lit ( want to do mainly modules in lit, but looking at Education and Vis Arts, also Music/History but I dont have the A-Levels in those, idk if they'd let me take those modules? Anyone know? :smile: )
3 - Distinction A7766665 (moved schools in y11, rip)
4 - Collegiate system looks great, relatively close to home (from the nw), supposed best in the UK for Lit and I wont get in to Cambridge with those GCSEs :frown:((
5 - I'm going to read so many books, college magazine, creative writing club also going to nag and do EPQ in y13, maybe dofe too?
6 - Cambridge (ha), Exeter, Birmingham, Lancaster
7 - St Cuths! (need self catering, i am p o o r, but Chads looks great too, and I'll be in massive debt anyway lol)
Good luck everyone :smile:)))
Hi everyone!
English Lit, Graphics, BTEC Business ( D* A* A, A* if I work hard )
Liberal Arts or Eng Lit ( want to do mainly modules in lit, but looking at Education and Vis Arts, also Music/History but I dont have the A-Levels in those, idk if they'd let me take those modules? Anyone know? )
Distinction A7766665 (moved schools in y11, rip)
Collegiate system looks great, relatively close to home (from the nw), supposed best in the UK for Lit and I wont get in to Cambridge with those GCSEs :frown:
I'm going to read so many books, college magazine, creative writing club also going to nag and do EPQ in y13, maybe dofe too?
Cambridge (ha), Exeter, Birmingham, Lancaster
St Cuths! (need self catering, i am p o o r, but Chads looks great too, and I'll be in massive debt anyway lol)

Hoping to join the veggie soc, I'm vegan,some other clubs look fun.
Can anyone tell me where abouts I wiuld have my English classes? I've looked on their website but I can't find the info? Also which are the closest colleges to those places? tyty :biggrin:

Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by spookysun
Hi everyone!
English Lit, Graphics, BTEC Business ( D* A* A, A* if I work hard )
Liberal Arts or Eng Lit ( want to do mainly modules in lit, but looking at Education and Vis Arts, also Music/History but I dont have the A-Levels in those, idk if they'd let me take those modules? Anyone know? )
Distinction A7766665 (moved schools in y11, rip)
Collegiate system looks great, relatively close to home (from the nw), supposed best in the UK for Lit and I wont get in to Cambridge with those GCSEs :frown:
I'm going to read so many books, college magazine, creative writing club also going to nag and do EPQ in y13, maybe dofe too?
Cambridge (ha), Exeter, Birmingham, Lancaster
St Cuths! (need self catering, i am p o o r, but Chads looks great too, and I'll be in massive debt anyway lol)

Hoping to join the veggie soc, I'm vegan,some other clubs look fun.
Can anyone tell me where abouts I wiuld have my English classes? I've looked on their website but I can't find the info? Also which are the closest colleges to those places? tyty :biggrin:

Good luck everyone :smile:

I believe most English lectures etc. Are in Elvet which is on church Street just behind the SU building. The nearest I think would be Cuths self catering, but all the Bailey colleges are pretty near :smile:
I wouldn't discount Cambridge with those GCSEs though, they don't pay them too much weight, and as long as your teacher mentions this in your reference so they know then they shouldn't disadvantage you too much :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
I believe most English lectures etc. Are in Elvet which is on church Street just behind the SU building. The nearest I think would be Cuths self catering, but all the Bailey colleges are pretty near :smile:
I wouldn't discount Cambridge with those GCSEs though, they don't pay them too much weight, and as long as your teacher mentions this in your reference so they know then they shouldn't disadvantage you too much :smile:

Thank you for the advice!! huh, maybe I'll reconsider Cambridge... :smile:

Latest