The Student Room Group

What do you think about the riots in the USA?

I unequivocally pledge my full support. Whilst obviously non-violence is the best way, these are not typical circumstances. The American police are some of the worst in the world. Poorly trained, many have existing prejudices. Burn Atlanta to the ground like Sherman did; next stop the White House! I am white, but my heart bleeds for my black comrades who have suffered so much. They are entitled to burn down their communities if they want to.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I fully support the BLM movement, however I don believe looting and setting fire to police stations is necessary nor effective. People are categorising police officers in Minneapolis and other US cities as racist and corrupt however they are banging on about people categorising minorities. Hypocrisy.
Reply 2
Original post by samc103
I fully support the BLM movement, however I don believe looting and setting fire to police stations is necessary nor effective. People are categorising police officers in Minneapolis and other US cities as racist and corrupt however they are banging on about people categorising minorities. Hypocrisy.

True, not all US police officers are, but I used to just say "maybe its just a few" but you don't see this happening in other countries. It's not just a few bad apples; racism is systemic in the US police force. There are so many of them and the officers are poorly regulated - nothing like in this country
Original post by kali8603
I unequivocally pledge my full support. Whilst obviously non-violence is the best way, these are not typical circumstances and so as a last resort I believe violence can and must be used. The American police are some of the worst in the world. Poorly trained, many have existing prejudices. Burn Atlanta to the ground like Sherman did; next stop the White House! I am white, but my heart bleeds for my black comrades who have suffered so much. They are entitled to burn down their communities if they want to.

I fully support the fact that George Floyd was murdered by the police and a complete injustice had occurred. Resorting to riots, however, I do not.

George Floyd has become a martyr for change, but I've already seen symbols such as 'every cop is a bad cop', 'death to the cops' etc which really thwart and discombobulate the message the riots are trying to portray. Riots are just destroying good people's livelihoods, and who's going to be there to offer them aid when they're businesses have been burned to the ground, or they can't walk their kids to school because of the dangers of being hit with a glass bottle? I'm willing to bet they'll side with Law Enforcement as the men that came to steal their TV's aren't going to willingly give them back. They don't have the right to destroy good people's livelihoods. Employees are no longer able to earn a wage and feed their families. This economic destruction is just going to cause more pain than any change.

I believe in riots as long as clear terms have been set by the rioting party to ultimately bring about the end of rioting. The rioters have to ensure 2 things:
1) State clear limits to the violence involved in their rioting - otherwise riots would just descend into a murder fest.
2) The Goals the other party must agree to in order to end the riots.

I may be wrong, but this doesn't seem clear to me, and I guess their goal is to end seculized racism inherent in the police force. I'm very sorry to say, but if this is the goal and reason people are rioting, the riots will never end. They need specific, measurable, attainable, relatable, and time-orientated goals that make things CLEAR.

That's up for them to decide. I'd start by saying that the police officers involved in the murder is charged with murder and to serve life in prison.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Khanthebrit
I fully support the fact that George Floyd was murdered by the police and a complete injustice had occurred. Resorting to riots, however, I do not.

George Floyd has become a martyr for change, but I've already seen symbols such as 'every cop is a bad cop', 'death to the cops' etc which really thwart and discombobulate the message the riots are trying to portray. Riots are just destroying good people's livelihoods, and who's going to be there to offer them aid when they're businesses have been burned to the ground, or they can't walk their kids to school because of the dangers of being hit with a glass bottle? I'm willing to bet they'll side with Law Enforcement as the men that came to steal their TV's aren't going to willingly give them back. They don't have the right to destroy good people's livelihoods. Employees are no longer able to earn a wage and feed their families. This economic destruction is just going to cause more pain than any change.

I believe in riots as long as clear terms have been set by the rioting party to ultimately bring about the end of rioting. The rioters have to ensure 2 things:
1) State clear limits to the violence involved in their rioting - otherwise riots would just descend into a murder fest.

I may be wrong, but this doesn't seem clear to me, and I guess their goal is to end seculized racism inherent in the police force. I'm very sorry to say, but if this is the goal and reason people are rioting, the riots will never end. They need specific, measurable, attainable, relatable, and time-orientated goals that make things CLEAR.

That's up for them to decide. I'd start by saying that the police officers involved in the murder is charged with murder and to serve life in prison.

Yeah, I think many want amibgous "reforms", which aren't easy and take years. Decades.

I think a lot of it is just a lot of pent up anger at the status of black people in america, in socioeconomic terms. Some are obviously opportunnists. The same happened in the London riots. Though in my opinion, the London riots were less justified because the police in this country don't kill nearly as many blacks as the police in the USA do, the police here have very tight regulatiuons and the person they shot was ultimately a criminal; in this case, it is not really known
Yeah, I think many want amibgous "reforms", which aren't easy and take years. Decades.

I think a lot of it is just a lot of pent up anger at the status of black people in america, in socioeconomic terms. Some are obviously opportunnists. The same happened in the London riots. Though in my opinion, the London riots were less justified because the police in this country don't kill nearly as many blacks as the police in the USA do, the police here have very tight regulatiuons and the person they shot was ultimately a criminal; in this case, it is not really known

I didn't know the dead guy and the cop that killed him knew one another and had worked together on door security.
Reply 6
Original post by caravaggio2
I didn't know the dead guy and the cop that killed him knew one another and had worked together on door security.

Yes I found that out too. So that brings all sorts of new cmplications into it
Reply 7
Original post by samc103

What are you saying? this makes no sense! BLM but no racist police forces? Come off it. You don't believe in both. Yours is a supremacist style argument. Notice your lack of complete outrage at the murder of Goerge Floyd but your outrage at an armed military style police force being called racist! Some of your priorities need adjusting!
Reply 8
Yes I found that out too. So that brings all sorts of new cmplications into it

like first degree murder?
I hope they are social distancing...

Convid death rates are worse for black people already without a nice few mass gatherings.
Reply 10

You need to check out in much more detail the issues that cause racial divides and disadvantage rather than stating meaningless statements such as "riots are never justified "!
The police here do not have "very tight regulations " ! Why do you think such things? The police force here is generally "armed" with tasers and policing is rather more community consensual! No such facts apply to USA police forces! Plus you do realise that similar George Floyd incidents have been going on for generations in USA right?
Reply 11
Original post by Khanthebrit

So let's get back to the cause of the riot. It was not organised and structured. Why would you expect it to be? Are you clear of the longstanding fractious relationship between the pilice forces of America and its black population? The george Floyd is the latest example in a considerably long line of acts of brutality by the police forces of the USA against its black civilians. The policing is military style conbined with racism. Black people have been protesting against this type of policing for generations ! - what has changed? Your SMART targets?? don't you think Martin Luther King, Malcolm X , Medgar Evers , Rosa Parks and thousands of other civil rights people understood this and much more than you?
Life in prison?? Can you imagine a young black man doing that to a white cop's neck- he would be on death row by now!
Reply 12
I unequivocally pledge my full support. Whilst obviously non-violence is the best way, these are not typical circumstances and so as a last resort I believe violence can and must be used. The American police are some of the worst in the world. Poorly trained, many have existing prejudices. Burn Atlanta to the ground like Sherman did; next stop the White House! I am white, but my heart bleeds for my black comrades who have suffered so much. They are entitled to burn down their communities if they want to.

So by your own admission you think the police should be beating and shooting rioters? Violence being cool with you..
Reply 13
Original post by Napp
So by your own admission you think the police should be beating and shooting rioters? Violence being cool with you..

OMG! You are surpasing yourself with your two degrees! I am waiting to hear your utter outrage at the way George Floyd was treated! And to hear your " something must be done about white police racism" speech! We already understood from you that kneeling on someone's neck is apparently allowed according to a code of conduct. The mind boggles! Speech please!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by mgi
OMG! You are surpasing yourself with your two degrees!

If this supposed to mean something?

I am waiting to hear your utter outrage at the way George Floyd was treated! And to hear your " something must be done about white police racism" speech! We already understood from you that kneeling on someone's neck is apparently allowed according to a code of conduct. The mind boggles! Speech please!

Oh, i apologise, this is probably because you can't really read. I have stated multiple times what happened to him was abhorrent. You on the other hand have done nothing but use this as an opportunity to advance you perverse racial supremacists opinions - especially given your repeated praising of racial violence.
Who is this 'we' you speak of? Please don't pretend you speak for anyone but yourself. Again, its deeply confusing to me that even someone of your intellectual caliber doesn't know what a code of practice is...
Reply 15
Original post by Napp
If this supposed to mean something?

Oh, i apologise, this is probably because you can't really read. I have stated multiple times what happened to him was abhorrent. You on the other hand have done nothing but use this as an opportunity to advance you perverse racial supremacists opinions - especially given your repeated praising of racial violence.
Who is this 'we' you speak of? Please don't pretend you speak for anyone but yourself. Again, its deeply confusing to me that even someone of your intellectual caliber doesn't know what a code of practice is...

Thanks for praising my intellectual calibre. "We" are right thinking people who laugh at abusive codes of conduct!
Original post by mgi
What are you saying? this makes no sense! BLM but no racist police forces? Come off it. You don't believe in both. Yours is a supremacist style argument. Notice your lack of complete outrage at the murder of Goerge Floyd but your outrage at an armed military style police force being called racist! Some of your priorities need adjusting!

How does this not make sense?? The BLM is fighting to stop racism and categorising blacks as “animals” or “aggressive people”, however the BLM is now categorising the American police force as corrupt and racist - that is total hypocrisy!
How is that a supremacist style argument - it’s a fact?!
“My lack of outrage” just because I don’t go about looting businesses (which put innocent people out of business and force them into poverty), burn buildings and beat innocent people on the street to death doesn’t mean I don’t support the BLM and equality for all.
You are a complete radicalist and hypocrite.
Original post by Napp

So violence is okay for protesters but not police defending the community..... great logic
Reply 18
Original post by samc103
So violence is okay for protesters but not police defending the community..... great logic

I think you should read my comment again mate.
Original post by Napp
I think you should read my comment again mate.

I think you should read the definition of riot....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending