The Student Room Group

Ask an East Londoner :)

Shoot your questions👍🏻

Scroll to see replies

Would you prefer to call yourself a yeast Londoner? :curious:
Have you been to east London in South Africa ?
Original post by Supernova36
Have you been to east London in South Africa ?

I didn't even know that existed. Have you been there?
Original post by 04MR17
Would you prefer to call yourself a yeast Londoner? :curious:

Yeast is nice...as long as it's extracted for Marmite of course. But no I'd prefer to be an East Londoner rather than yeast☻
is east london rough?
Original post by stumptrump
is east london rough?

It depends on the sort of person you've grown up to become and the influence around you. I've had a few bad snippets but I guess it's all growth and lessons.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sameera2020
I didn't even know that existed. Have you been there?

Nah only ever been to Johannesburg in South Africa x
Are you actually an east londoner though? I grew up in romford, the media call it "east london" but apart from the formalities, its essex

Or are you trying to claim to be an eastender
Original post by kali8603
Are you actually an east londoner though? I grew up in romford, the media call it "east london" but apart from the formalities, its essex

Or are you trying to claim to be an eastender

Nope, I'm growing up in East London (Tower Hamlets). Just curious about the questions people have about this area if the stereotypes are still here.
Nope, I'm growing up in East London (Tower Hamlets). Just curious about the questions people have about this area if the stereotypes are still here.

tower hamlets is the bengali place, right? also i hear it's really corrupt in terms of its politics as well.

Don't think the stereotypes exist anymore, given most are regarding the east end and most of the original eastenders now live down in essex, or are just dead.

East London, Tower Hamlets especially, is so divers there really are no stereotypes. There is a lot of crime, I know that for a fact having lived in parts and have got family and friends who live in areas like Walthamstow etc. East London is my favourite part of London though.

My grandparents all came from the east end, Bow and Stepney Green, my other nan was from Hackney. My grandad did a lot of different jobs but was a pickpocket and his brother or cousin (cant remember) was in with the Krays

Yes it's the "Bengali" area...although I'm actually half Turkish half English.
And politics is quite firm left around here, nobody really has hope for conservatives especially because of the high poverty rates and unemployment rates. People sometimes turn to sellings drugs as a means of survival and they get locked into that way of life. However the opportunities are endless, loads of different choices no matter what school you attend...so there are positives for people who are willing to work hard and search for a good way of life.
Don't think the stereotypes exist anymore, given most are regarding the east end and most of the original eastenders now live down in essex, or are just dead.

East London, Tower Hamlets especially, is so divers there really are no stereotypes. There is a lot of crime, I know that for a fact having lived in parts and have got family and friends who live in areas like Walthamstow etc. East London is my favourite part of London though.

My grandparents all came from the east end, Bow and Stepney Green, my other nan was from Hackney. My grandad did a lot of different jobs but was a pickpocket and his brother or cousin (cant remember) was in with the Krays

Yep Bow/Poplar is my current area. I live next to a bridge which separates 2 different postcodes so there tends to be a lot of conflict during the night.
Despite this, I wouldn't want to live anywhere rural because the opportunities just wouldn't exist.
Okay I'm gonna sound really stupid but I dont know what Latina means...please elaborate😭😭
Okay I'm gonna sound really stupid but I dont know what Latina means...please elaborate😭😭

☻🙄
☻🙄

They mean hispanic/from spain or latin america. I'm guessing you're...Bangladeshi? Sorry If I guessed wrong, its just I know a lot of Bangladeshi girls with that name.
What proportion of native white British people do you have living in your area? Roughly.
They mean hispanic/from spain or latin america. I'm guessing you're...Bangladeshi? Sorry If I guessed wrong, its just I know a lot of Bangladeshi girls with that name.

It's okay. But I'm half Turkish half English 😂
It's okay. But I'm half Turkish half English 😂

Oh right XD I didn't know that name was used in Turkey. Are you a muslim then? I know a lot of Turkish people who even in Turkey are not realy muslim.

Quick Reply

Latest