The Student Room Group

Cheap Books UK

Does anyone know any cheap websites to get new (not second hand) books from in the U.K.? Tia
charity shops (the UK has a lot of them)
Why do the books have to be new?

Unfortunately, new books will cost you about the same across the board.
try “book depository”, they have a lot of popular books for up to like 90% off sometimes and if you buy series from there you get discount too, plus their delivery is actually quite quick!!
Reply 4
There’s a website in the US called book outlet that sells books that haven’t sold in shops and have been sent back, was looking for something similar. I’m always cautious of buying used books as the quality is variable
Original post by Grace_2302
There’s a website in the US called book outlet that sells books that haven’t sold in shops and have been sent back, was looking for something similar. I’m always cautious of buying used books as the quality is variable

Ahh, ok I see. You want to try the Works. They sometimes get interesting things in that didn't sell elsewhere.

You could try World of books. They sell second hand, but have a good policy on books if their condition is not as described. I've known friends to get complete refunds (without having to send the book back) because the page numbers were scribbled out on a few pages.

What precisely about second hand book quality puts you off?
Original post by Grace_2302
Does anyone know any cheap websites to get new (not second hand) books from in the U.K.? Tia

The Works sell cheap books however they have a pretty limited selection.
Amazon is the best, great returns policy too and reasonable prices.
Original post by MilitantMagpie
Amazon is the best, great returns policy too and reasonable prices.

But you're also supporting Amazon? It's best to just find out the better sellers on there and go to their websites. World of Books only do free shipping if you order direct from them.
Original post by vicvic38
But you're also supporting Amazon? It's best to just find out the better sellers on there and go to their websites. World of Books only do free shipping if you order direct from them.

And? I buy from Amazon it's a great website.

World of Books is great but I prefer Amazon for the delivery speed.
Original post by MilitantMagpie
And? I buy from Amazon it's a great website.

World of Books is great but I prefer Amazon for the delivery speed.

Well, I hope you enjoy lining Jeff Bezos' pockets, and helping to perpetuate the awful working conditions that amazon has for it's employees. They're very anti-union.
Well, I hope you enjoy lining Jeff Bezos' pockets, and helping to perpetuate the awful working conditions that amazon has for it's employees. They're very anti-union.

I do enjoy it, I especially enjoyed the book on Brazilian History I purchased the other day from Amazon.
Reply 12
Ahh, ok I see. You want to try the Works. They sometimes get interesting things in that didn't sell elsewhere.

You could try World of books. They sell second hand, but have a good policy on books if their condition is not as described. I've known friends to get complete refunds (without having to send the book back) because the page numbers were scribbled out on a few pages.

What precisely about second hand book quality puts you off?

Ok thank you I’ll try that. I get put off with things such as corners that have been bent to save places as I prefer to use a book mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending