The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GotAQQuestion
Okay.

And would you always advise to shake hands at the start?

Not anymore... when I did interviews back in December / January / February I always offered to

In fact, in this current environment shaking hands could be a negative!

Post originally created by ecolier.
Oh god, I forgot about that LUL aha thanks for reminding me
Answer for the question above please
Original post by Meganbw23
Answer for the question above please

Please keep all interview discussions in this thread.

I wouldn't mention a specialty unless I know the ins and outs of it.

What if a forensic pathologist (or any pathologist) just so happen to interview and start grilling you?

Plus of course, you are over-estimating the time you get in MMIs. The chances are in 5 minutes, you simply don't have enough time to mention this unless you keep answering Qs with "as a future foresic pathologist, I would do....".

(edited 3 years ago)
what do you mean "don't memorise specific answers to specific questions"

surely everyone structures their "why do you want to do medicine" or "why choose me" on paper during preparation since also with stress on the day, it may sound less memorised

Having a well laid out structure is important. But memorising an answer word to word is usually not going to stand you in good stead.

What I did this time was I made bullet points for standard questions like why medicine. Then I used to use them as pointers and refer to them sequentially.
Interview example questions and answers pleas
Original post by Meganbw23
Interview example questions and answers pleas

Have you read through this thread before posting?

Start with: https://www.themedicportal.com/e-learning/interview/background-motivation/

Answer Guide:

This is a common Background and Motivation question, so reflect carefully on the answer prior to interview

In order to answer it properly, you will need to first understand what exactly being a medical student and a doctor entails. This comes from research, work experience and talking to people ahead of you on the pathway

Aim to strike a good balance between passion and pragmatism many people come across disproportionately one way or the other

Provide enough detail to be persuasive, but avoid waffling. More than three points is usually too much and impact will be lost

Get across your desire to interact with and ultimately help people. This is what being a doctor is all about

Try to capture why the combination of scientific drive and human engagement involved in Medicine appeals to you

Use examples from work experience and your personal life throughout to personalise and strengthen your answer

Common Mistakes:

Knowing you want to be a doctor but not being able to articulate why. This is usually a result of a lack of reflection

Referring to financial rewards or social status: these are not good motivators and there are other careers that offer more of both

Saying that you come from a family of doctors. This is not a mistake in itself, but you must stress that you have done your own exploration

(edited 3 years ago)
I have heard that Medify is very good for UCAT but what about preparing for Medical Interviews.
Are there any other website to prepare for interviews
check out the medic portal :wink:

and you should have a thread like this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6182960 for 2021 entry
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey guys,
I am currently preparing for a medicine interview in case that I get a place in clearing this summer. However, I'm a bit lost with how to properly and effectively prepare for the interview, any important tips?
Thank you!
Original post by jovanpopovic
Hey guys,
I am currently preparing for a medicine interview in case that I get a place in clearing this summer. However, I'm a bit lost with how to properly and effectively prepare for the interview, any important tips?
Thank you!

Read this thread, and also https://www.themedicportal.com/e-learning/interview/

Hey guys,
Thank you!

As well as what’s already been suggested, the ISC medical interview questions book (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Interviews-Questions-Analysed-Multiple-Mini-Interviews/dp/1905812051) is a really good resource! (It’s also usually quite easy to get second-hand or from someone who’s already gone through the interview process)
Hey guys,
Thank you!

Can I ask where are you preparing for? Thx. x
Original post by Michael Ndulor
when sitting medical interviews (especially MMI) how many do you do?

To be honest I think it's different for every university. For instance I had interviews at Aberdeen and Dundee, Aberdeen had 7 stations that were 7 minutes each I think and Dundee was 10 stations. Just go on to the websites of the universities you're applying to and they should tell you :smile:
Another question - when people are prepping their MMI answers, do you structure these as bullet points or as paragraphs to remember? and then read it in a slow enthusiastic manner to make it less rehearsed.

I agree with what alot of people are saying don't over rehearse them or memorise them. What I did was write out an answer that I'd like to say but just so I had some ideas and thoughts if I was asked the questions. So, at the interview I could remember the ideas I had put down but then phrase it naturally and in the moment.

Hope this helps
Anyone knows examples of target payments given to GPs to encourage them to increase the number of patients involved in health assessments? Or anywhere I could find more information on this?
Thank you!
Original post by Medikj
Anyone knows examples of target payments given to GPs to encourage them to increase the number of patients involved in health assessments? Or anywhere I could find more information on this?
Thank you!

GPs hold a contract with the NHS to provide Core Services, usually called the GMS contract. This, as the name suggests sets out what we are required to do to be paid.
There are things in that that involve health assessments, eg health checks for the over 75s, 6 weeks checks for babies, cervical screening

We than have QOF (Quality and Outcome Framework) which is, in theory, optional. You are given targets to meet to receive a payment, with payments starting at a set figure (lower thrshold) and maxing out at a higher figure (upper threahold), eg you get paid nothing for up to 75% of checks and the fullamount for over 96% (these are random numbers I made up and they vary for condition to condition).
I think this may be what you mean about target payments? Our GMS money just about runs the business - wages, heat, light, expenses, etc and without our QOF and other money, the Doctors would get zero (we get profit, not a salary). So it is not really optional and almost everyone takes part.
It is slit into domains, eg one for diabetes where you must refer newly diagnosed diabetics to an education programme (or at least offer it), check their feet, control their sugar, etc. One for asthma where you must do an annual asthma review, one for dementia, where you must do an annual care plan on people with this diagnosis (and hence act on any findings). And so on! There is one for Learning Disabilities, where you must do a comprehensive Health Check every year and we have targets for cervical screening.
GPs encourage people to come in for these checks, as without it, they would get no/less pay.

Then there are things called Enhanced Services. This is an optional thing that you "sign up" to. It is not target driven, generally and is a fee per item, so each one is paid a certain amount. One of these is the NHS Health Check, where GPs get paid to invite (and do) a Health Check on 40-75 year olds who are otherwise healthy, to pick up asymptomatic issues such as hypertension, diabetes or pre-diabetes, kidney disease, raised cholesterol. I can no longer remember exactly how many we have to do, or what we get paid, but you can google that.
Many ESs are National, ie open to everyone, some are LESs (local enhanced services) and set up by your CCG to meet local healthcare needs. Ours are a rolled in set of figures for all long term conditions, cancer targets, Mental Health and learning disability targets, prescribing standards targets, emergency admission and referrals target, and like I say, I forget the rest! So again, we "encourage" people to come in for these checks

The current biggy is Frailty. There is a whole host of money thrown at us, via various different pots (PCN, ESs, QOF) to look after frail people. What this really means is keep them out of hospital, where they are very expensive! We have to do a VERY comprehensive frailty assessment and care plan for these patients and jump through endless hoops to get money for this, eg we have a Frailty Care-Coordinator - do not emply someone specifically for this role and do not get paid! And a Sever Frailty Assessor - again, no money of not someone with this specific job role. It fragments and diminishes holistic care in a small GP Practice - but then the Government do not want small GP Practices, that is just patients!

Over the years, there have been various incarnations of stuff like this, eg we got paid to do dementia screening at one point there used to be child health surveillance that was paid separately, but we tend to get paid to do for a year or two, then told it shoul dnow be part of our "core work" and it needs to be done, but there is no more money for it! Hence workload increases.....

https://www.england.nhs.uk/learning-disabilities/improving-health/annual-health-checks/
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dementia/help-and-support/
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/our-impact/policy-research/frailty-in-older-people/frailty-and-the-nhs-long-term-plan/

Just a few links. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Original post by GANFYD
GPs hold a contract with the NHS to provide Core Services, usually called the GMS contract. This, as the name suggests sets out what we are required to do to be paid.
There are things in that that involve health assessments, eg health checks for the over 75s, 6 weeks checks for babies, cervical screening

We than have QOF (Quality and Outcome Framework) which is, in theory, optional. You are given targets to meet to receive a payment, with payments starting at a set figure (lower thrshold) and maxing out at a higher figure (upper threahold), eg you get paid nothing for up to 75% of checks and the fullamount for over 96% (these are random numbers I made up and they vary for condition to condition).
I think this may be what you mean about target payments? Our GMS money just about runs the business - wages, heat, light, expenses, etc and without our QOF and other money, the Doctors would get zero (we get profit, not a salary). So it is not really optional and almost everyone takes part.
It is slit into domains, eg one for diabetes where you must refer newly diagnosed diabetics to an education programme (or at least offer it), check their feet, control their sugar, etc. One for asthma where you must do an annual asthma review, one for dementia, where you must do an annual care plan on people with this diagnosis (and hence act on any findings). And so on! There is one for Learning Disabilities, where you must do a comprehensive Health Check every year and we have targets for cervical screening.
GPs encourage people to come in for these checks, as without it, they would get no/less pay.

Then there are things called Enhanced Services. This is an optional thing that you "sign up" to. It is not target driven, generally and is a fee per item, so each one is paid a certain amount. One of these is the NHS Health Check, where GPs get paid to invite (and do) a Health Check on 40-75 year olds who are otherwise healthy, to pick up asymptomatic issues such as hypertension, diabetes or pre-diabetes, kidney disease, raised cholesterol. I can no longer remember exactly how many we have to do, or what we get paid, but you can google that.
Many ESs are National, ie open to everyone, some are LESs (local enhanced services) and set up by your CCG to meet local healthcare needs. Ours are a rolled in set of figures for all long term conditions, cancer targets, Mental Health and learning disability targets, prescribing standards targets, emergency admission and referrals target, and like I say, I forget the rest! So again, we "encourage" people to come in for these checks

The current biggy is Frailty. There is a whole host of money thrown at us, via various different pots (PCN, ESs, QOF) to look after frail people. What this really means is keep them out of hospital, where they are very expensive! We have to do a VERY comprehensive frailty assessment and care plan for these patients and jump through endless hoops to get money for this, eg we have a Frailty Care-Coordinator - do not emply someone specifically for this role and do not get paid! And a Sever Frailty Assessor - again, no money of not someone with this specific job role. It fragments and diminishes holistic care in a small GP Practice - but then the Government do not want small GP Practices, that is just patients!

Over the years, there have been various incarnations of stuff like this, eg we got paid to do dementia screening at one point there used to be child health surveillance that was paid separately, but we tend to get paid to do for a year or two, then told it shoul dnow be part of our "core work" and it needs to be done, but there is no more money for it! Hence workload increases.....

https://www.england.nhs.uk/learning-disabilities/improving-health/annual-health-checks/
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dementia/help-and-support/
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/our-impact/policy-research/frailty-in-older-people/frailty-and-the-nhs-long-term-plan/

Just a few links. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant, thank you very much!☺️
Hi guys, can you provide some tips and useful resources on how to prepare for interviews at medical schools? I understand that most follow MMI's. Share your tips and resources, and lets help each other out!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6182960

Lots of helpful tips here to get you started :smile:
Original post by junior.doctor
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6182960

Lots of helpful tips here to get you started :smile:

Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending