The Student Room Group

Does it get better?

I'm a 15-year-old girl and honestly, I just need to know if it gets 'better.' I've had severe anxiety since a very young age, and recently I have been feeling depressed. I don't want to die per say but sometimes I just want to disappear. On top of my mental difficulties, I also have an underbite which has led me to feel very insecure about myself. Eventually, I will get jaw surgery and hopefully, this will bring my confidence up. I've been told that it is not super noticeable but I feel like it's all anyone ever sees. My parents' marriage has also gone downhill and the only reason they are still together is because of me and my siblings. Although I am not currently in school (corona) I have found kids my age so different from me. I just don't fit in, I have 2 best friends and I'm pretty friendly with everyone, but every time I am around teenagers I don't know I feel like all they are thinking is how ugly and annoying I am. I know my problems are so small compared to others but I just want to know honestly if it does get better. Anyways thanks for reading this, stay safe!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 15-year-old girl and honestly, I just need to know if it gets 'better.' I've had severe anxiety since a very young age, and recently I have been feeling depressed. I don't want to die per say but sometimes I just want to disappear. On top of my mental difficulties, I also have an underbite which has led me to feel very insecure about myself. Eventually, I will get jaw surgery and hopefully, this will bring my confidence up. I've been told that it is not super noticeable but I feel like it's all anyone ever sees. My parents' marriage has also gone downhill and the only reason they are still together is because of me and my siblings. Although I am not currently in school (corona) I have found kids my age so different from me. I just don't fit in, I have 2 best friends and I'm pretty friendly with everyone, but every time I am around teenagers I don't know I feel like all they are thinking is how ugly and annoying I am. I know my problems are so small compared to others but I just want to know honestly if it does get better. Anyways thanks for reading this, stay safe!

I'll be completely honest with you. There are people who will turn around and say "yes it gets better- hang in there!" and you have to put blind faith in the idea that time will heal everything. The truth is that this isn't the case. You're 15, so you have your GCSEs coming up, A Levels/college with different people, house parties, access to sex etc which will change your life massively. I'm a 19 year old guy and when I was your age i felt exactly the same- and had similar circumstances actually. Things got a little better for me, but every day is a fresh battle. What you have to do is find the things that make you happy and attach yourself to them. When you're having bad thoughts, you have to stop them consuming you. Talking to professionals about how you are feeling is humiliating, but massively important. None of this is easy and being honest with yourself is one of the hardest things you'll have to do, but if you can do that then yes, things will get better. Make sure you lean on your close friends as much as you can- that's a luxury not many people in your position have.
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are going through this. I am sure you are beautiful, I have seen girls with underbites that I would consider attractive, and I wouldn't even notice they had an underbite if it was not made obvious. to me I am pretty sure you are the only who notices. And remember that we are our own worst critics.
Reply 3
I'm sorry to hear that. Almost all girls are pretty, you are surely not ugly
Do your best 2 friends treat you well?
By the way,which year of high school are you in? Do you study well?
As someone who also had moments of “wanting to disappear” aged 15, I’m sorry to hear what you’re going through. I can’t say what things will be like for you, but for me, it has massively got better, so maybe that can give you a little hope :smile:

I could never have imagined that I would be where I am now back then. In 3 short years I feel like my life and the outlook I have towards it has completely flipped. I went from not being able to stomach the thought of getting up in the morning to actively going out seeking new experiences. I’ve done so many things I never thought I would be able to do. I’ve met and made friends with people in a way I never thought I could. I’ve met people who really click with me when I thought no one in the world ever would.

That said, it was definitely a battle at times, and on some days, it still is. I feel so lucky to have the life I do but it’s not always plain sailing. There will also be difficult days - the key is having more good days than bad ones, and knowing even on the bad ones that you are strong and you will get through this.

So you’ve probably got a fair few battles ahead of you yet, but you never know what great experiences could be right around the corner. You cannot know the happiness that may await or when it will arrive - in my case, it took me 3 months to go from a life that was almost unbearable to a life where I ended each day smiling, and from then on, it got better. Whatever you do, please never give up the hope of a better tomorrow :smile:

And whenever you feel like you just want to disappear, take it from me, I am so so glad I didn’t give up.

All the best xx
It will definitely get better. All the other ppl won’t be thinking about how ugly/annoying u r. Even if they are you need to ignore them. You can stay with ur friends, I’m sure they won’t judge you. It’s ok everything will turn out fine
Reply 6
As someone who also had moments of “wanting to disappear” aged 15, I’m sorry to hear what you’re going through. I can’t say what things will be like for you, but for me, it has massively got better, so maybe that can give you a little hope :smile:

I could never have imagined that I would be where I am now back then. In 3 short years I feel like my life and the outlook I have towards it has completely flipped. I went from not being able to stomach the thought of getting up in the morning to actively going out seeking new experiences. I’ve done so many things I never thought I would be able to do. I’ve met and made friends with people in a way I never thought I could. I’ve met people who really click with me when I thought no one in the world ever would.

That said, it was definitely a battle at times, and on some days, it still is. I feel so lucky to have the life I do but it’s not always plain sailing. There will also be difficult days - the key is having more good days than bad ones, and knowing even on the bad ones that you are strong and you will get through this.

So you’ve probably got a fair few battles ahead of you yet, but you never know what great experiences could be right around the corner. You cannot know the happiness that may await or when it will arrive - in my case, it took me 3 months to go from a life that was almost unbearable to a life where I ended each day smiling, and from then on, it got better. Whatever you do, please never give up the hope of a better tomorrow :smile:

And whenever you feel like you just want to disappear, take it from me, I am so so glad I didn’t give up.

All the best xx

You would be better. How are you recently?

Hi there,

I hear that you are going through a difficult time, and although you don't want to die per say - you wish you could disappear. Although I can't answer your question, I just want to reassure you that feeling this way is common, and that with the right support in place things can be more manageable. If you would like anonymous support with exploring these feelings, I encourage you to contact HOPELINEUK:

Call: 0800 068 4141
Text: 07860039967
Email: [email protected]

There are also other support services that might be able to help you, such as The Mix who offer support to those under 25.There is also KOOTH - if it operates in your area. Although you are not in school currently - you can also contact your tutor for support in most schools, or the school well being team for some support.

Best wishes,
Rosie
Reply 8
Original post by shebk
I'm sorry to hear that. Almost all girls are pretty, you are surely not ugly
Do your best 2 friends treat you well?
By the way,which year of high school are you in? Do you study well?

I don't know about being pretty but thank you. My 2 friends are super nice and I really enjoy spending time with them. I'm in 10th grade currently. My grades are reasonably high but not anything super amazing. I am planning on studying to become a forensic scientist, recently my grades aren't great. I don't have much motivation to do online school at the moment. Thanks for your reply!
Reply 9

All the best xx

Thank you so much for the kind words. I know from so many people that life is worth living even if it doesn't feel like it. It helps to know that you made it past the same thing I'm going through at the moment.
Thanks again xx
Original post by username5300632
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are going through this. I am sure you are beautiful, I have seen girls with underbites that I would consider attractive, and I wouldn't even notice they had an underbite if it was not made obvious. to me I am pretty sure you are the only who notices. And remember that we are our own worst critics.

I really appreciate your response. In the past, I've been asked out but always overthink things and end up not going for the other person's own 'good'. I think it's the fact that people have said things about my appearance that makes me self conscious. It almost seems that 100 people could compliment me but I'd only remember the one person that insulted me. Anyways thanks again!
Reply 11
I don't know about being pretty but thank you. My 2 friends are super nice and I really enjoy spending time with them. I'm in 10th grade currently. My grades are reasonably high but not anything super amazing. I am planning on studying to become a forensic scientist, recently my grades aren't great. I don't have much motivation to do online school at the moment. Thanks for your reply!

You are very polite
Do your 2 friends help you overcome your depression?
Original post by shebk
You are very polite
Do your 2 friends help you overcome your depression?

Thank you! One of my friends also has depression so she's super understanding. We don't talk about it much though. I act quite differently from what I am feeling inside.
Reply 13
Thank you! One of my friends also has depression so she's super understanding. We don't talk about it much though. I act quite differently from what I am feeling inside.

Besides your jaw problem, do other reasons make you depressed?
Do you think making friends can make you feel better?
Original post by shebk
Besides your jaw problem, do other reasons make you depressed?
Do you think making friends can make you feel better?

I just don't see the point. I am happy sometimes I have to admit but it only lasts a quick second. It is like everything is the same. I go to school and then after I'm done that I go to a bigger school just to get a job that one point or another I will find boring. Society tells us who we should be without making it obvious per se. They say that you can do whatever you want with your life but at the end of the day if you don't do what they want you'll never be accepted. When I'm with my friends I do feel a bit better. But it never lasts.
It does get better. It just will take time and effort (which you are already doing). Are you getting support for your mental health?
Original post by Pathway
It does get better. It just will take time and effort (which you are already doing). Are you getting support for your mental health?

I have been getting some support. I don't really like to open up or talk about what's really bothering me. I think I'll be ok in a couple of months, I'm just going through a bit of a rough part. Thanks so much for the reply!
The way you feel was exactly how I felt at 15. I felt like there was no escape and I wanted to end my life. Fast forward a couple of years, (I’m now 18) and honestly my life has took a huge turn. I’m doing things that I didn’t think I could do. If you have faith, I promise things will get better. It seems to me your also self conscious and I still am today, it’s extremely normal to feel that way, given the pressure in today’s society to have a certain image but once you accept yourself for who you are then that’s all that matters. I look at myself in the mirror everyday, and I wear nice clothes and do my makeup to try and make myself feel that extra bit confident. You don’t need the makeup but it helps me. I’ve also been trying to establish a healthy lifestyle and work out to make myself look good also. You remind me of my younger self and if you would like advice on anything else, feel free to drop me a PM
Thanks
Reply 18
I just don't see the point. I am happy sometimes I have to admit but it only lasts a quick second. It is like everything is the same. I go to school and then after I'm done that I go to a bigger school just to get a job that one point or another I will find boring. Society tells us who we should be without making it obvious per se. They say that you can do whatever you want with your life but at the end of the day if you don't do what they want you'll never be accepted. When I'm with my friends I do feel a bit better. But it never lasts.

What's your ambition?
Original post by shebk
What's your ambition?

The problem is I don't really have any. Life feels useless.

Quick Reply

Latest