The Student Room Group

Are you proud of this country telling China to **** off?

By offering future citizenship to many of its citizens?

Scroll to see replies

Some people will complain about anything I suppose.
Original post by Pleasantri
By offering future citizenship to many of its citizens?

What do you mean?
Are you talking about the whole thing about BNOs? Or am I just confused?
Reply 3
I think it's brilliant granting HK people who were formerly british and who want freedom exactly what they wish, and a chance to escape their situation. Plus there will be plenty of people who will bring benefit to our country rather than china, so it's win for their freedom and win for the UK. My core principles are centered around freedom so I'd support it completely where I can.
Reply 4
Original post by neko no basu
What do you mean?
Are you talking about the whole thing about BNOs? Or am I just confused?

Yes I am. I'm sorry if you don't qualify for it.
Reply 5
The best move by Trump
Yes I am. I'm sorry if you don't qualify for it.

No worries. I already live in the UK anyway.
Reply 7
No worries. I already live in the..

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Yeah **** off china
I know but many of your fellow citizens aren't as fortunate to live in a superior country. God Bless the UK opening it up to them!

Do you mean "superior" in the sense that the UK has democracy but HK and China doesn't, or superior as in the UK is superior to China in every sense?
Do you mean "superior" in the sense that the UK has democracy but HK and China doesn't, or superior as in the UK is superior to China in every sense?

Its not difficult. The UK has democracy that mainland China can only dream of, and how HK are seeing their democracy vanish. Its disgusting.
Its not difficult. The UK has democracy that mainland China can only dream of, and how HK are seeing their democracy vanish. Its disgusting.

Well I just wanted to know what you meant by "superior country", hope that was an alright question to ask.
It is sad that HK is losing its sense of autonomy but I don't think it is a surprise that this is happening and I'm sure you'll agree. But HK never really had any real democracy to begin with anyway.
Well I just wanted to know what you meant by "superior country", hope that was an alright question to ask.
It is sad that HK is losing its sense of autonomy but I don't think it is a surprise that this is happening and I'm sure you'll agree. But HK never really had any real democracy to begin with anyway.

Do you agree the British government should start evacuation flights from HK for eligible people before China steps in?
Reply 13
Im indifferent to the offer itself, it does seem a great way of telling the other overseas subjects that theyre second rate though.
Do you agree the British government should start evacuation flights from HK for eligible people before China steps in?

Flights are very expensive, I don't think the British government will put money towards that in all honesty. I think they will say that if you hold a BNO and you want to come to the UK, you can, but you're going to have to book your own flights.
No I'm not, but I'm not ashamed either. It's a difficult one I guess, and politicians will get criticised whatever decision is made.
Note this is in response to China almost violating its agreement with Britain.
Original post by Daveological
Note this is in response to China almost violating its agreement with Britain.

What did China do then?
Original post by CletusPotter
What did China do then?

Try to integrate Hong Kong although agreeing not to do so until 2047.
Original post by Daveological
Try to integrate Hong Kong although agreeing not to do so until 2047.

In which case I'm proud of Britain for enforcing this agreement. **** off China!

Quick Reply