The Student Room Group

Is it normal to fail at AS level?

As in come out with a U?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anon374738
As in come out with a U?

Honestly..no. By the end of year 12 you should be at a C grade or higher. If thats not the case maybe you are doing the wrong subjects, have bad teachers, or have horrible work ethic
Reply 2
Original post by cocoloco979
Honestly..no. By the end of year 12 you should be at a C grade or higher. If thats not the case maybe you are doing the wrong subjects, have bad teachers, or have horrible work ethic

Or extenuating circumstances

Do you have extenuating circumstances? Just answer yes or no :smile:

If you did then a U is understandable if you had no time to prepare.
its more common than you think and doesn't necessarily mean its for a hard subject. Ive seen it in mostly in situations where people do 4 A levels and find the fourth subject hard since they only took it as an 'extra' and the workload gets to them but they normally do well in the other three A levels. Another situation would be choosing a hard subject you don't necessarily like but would need for future uni/career etc..
Also what everyone else said ^
As in come out with a U?

It's relatively uncommon to end up with an ungraded result. There would usually have been some intervention long before you got to that stage.
Reply 6
Original post by 5hyl33n
Do you have extenuating circumstances? Just answer yes or no :smile:

If you did then a U is understandable if you had no time to prepare.

I did yes, but half of my A level maths class failed and I am sure half of the A level maths department didn’t have extenuating circumstances
I did yes, but half of my A level maths class failed and I am sure half of the A level maths department didn’t have extenuating circumstances

What have your grades been throughout the year?
How are you coping with the workload? Do you feel you don’t understand much?
What are your teachers like?

Sorry for the amount of questions - it’s just that you haven’t provided much information.
Reply 8
Original post by 5hyl33n
What have your grades been throughout the year?
How are you coping with the workload? Do you feel you don’t understand much?
What are your teachers like?

Sorry for the amount of questions - it’s just that you haven’t provided much information.

They were good in maths, was coping fine before extenuating circumstances, I understood a lot before it happened, I think there’s a problem with the teaching otherwise half of my class (not even exaggerating) wouldn’t have failed the second round of Maths mocks.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
It's relatively uncommon to end up with an ungraded result. There would usually have been some intervention long before you got to that stage.

But then how can a really sharp A level student (she’s so clever and comes out with straight As without revision she claims) come out with a U? That’s shocking.. obviously I don’t know why she failed or if she had a reason.

yep that could also have an affect. If you have bad mental health or have had a tough year. Anyway if you are worried, the As grades are only predicted, so you can make up for it when school resumes

I would probably just put it down to extenuating circumstances. Perhaps send an email to the head of Maths at your school and see what he says.

That’s great you got an A! The fact you understand everything is good too.

Do you still have extenuating circumstances or is everything OK now?
Reply 12
Original post by 5hyl33n
I would probably just put it down to extenuating circumstances. Perhaps send an email to the head of Maths at your school and see what he says.

That’s great you got an A! The fact you understand everything is good too.

Do you still have extenuating circumstances or is everything OK now?

Extenuating circumstances so I might decide not to go back

I did A level maths. A lot of people fail AS and struggle to get a C. I scraped an A at AS, as I found maths to be my hardest A level. So if it is just maths, I wouldn’t worry too much.
Reply 14
Original post by DanaH111
I did A level maths. A lot of people fail AS and struggle to get a C. I scraped an A at AS, as I found maths to be my hardest A level. So if it is just maths, I wouldn’t worry too much.

If you got an A then surely maths would be easy for you?
If you got an A then surely maths would be easy for you?

No. I fought tooth and nail for that A and in my A level exams often got around a B. Hopefully I’ll get an A this summer but with the ranking thing, I doubt it.
Reply 16

Not at some crappy sixth forms. To get to year 13, you had to get DUU or better.
Reply 17
Omg honestly I got Us in year 12 and felt crappy- especially when everyone in my classes were doing a lot better. I ended up getting decent grades. Point is it's not uncommon and you can still 1000% turn it around so don't fret. I cba to look for negative comments but definitely ignore them bcse I was in the same boat and still did great:wink: For me the biggest part was actually UNDERSTANDING especially in chemistry so my advice would be to go right back to the basics and make sure you understand the fundamental key concepts (it worked for me) and see this lockdown thing as a golden opportunity and as a way for you to focus on the basics x
But then how can a really sharp A level student (she’s so clever and comes out with straight As without revision she claims) come out with a U? That’s shocking.. obviously I don’t know why she failed or if she had a reason.

The bit I've highlighted in red is the key part.

People who are 'sharp' and get A grades at in-class tests/mocks simply don't get an ungraded result in their examinations. It doesn't happen.
Reply 19
The bit I've highlighted in red is the key part.

People who are 'sharp' and get A grades at in-class tests/mocks simply don't get an ungraded result in their examinations. It doesn't happen.

But she did. my college is not exactly the best when it comes to teaching and reputation. It’s improved slightly but people go there as their second option. I don’t know what happened to her.

Quick Reply

Latest