The Student Room Group

I'm a year 13 - AMA

Ask me anything - uni, life, regrets, etc.
Original post by Anonymous

How do you feel about grey squirrels?

Which Star Wars film is the greatest?
Reply 3
Original post by Darth Caedus
Which Star Wars film is the greatest?

Don't watch Star Wars sorry
Don't watch Star Wars sorry

Hmm, that’s fun.

Next question - what are your opinions on cats? Personally, I like them.
Which unis have you firmed/insured? Assuming you’re going to uni, if not I’m curious what you’re planning to do from next year
Reply 6
Original post by bluemuffin
Which unis have you firmed/insured? Assuming you’re going to uni, if not I’m curious what you’re planning to do from next year

I have firmed Nottingham and insured UCL (I didn’t receive any other offers - I got rejected from SGUL, QMUL and Birmingham) and I hope to study Pharmacy in September.
Reply 7
Original post by Darth Caedus
Hmm, that’s fun.

Next question - what are your opinions on cats? Personally, I like them.

I think cats are quite cute, although I wouldn’t like to have pets.
is there anything you wish you’d done during high school that you regret not doing now?
Reply 9
Original post by her0ndales
is there anything you wish you’d done during high school that you regret not doing now?

Applying for medicine 😂 the stress was UNREAL and I still didn’t get in (I think it’s for the best though)

Tbh there’s lots I didn’t do that I regret - I was too overly worked up about grades and WORK WORK WORK was all I thought about. I had lots of mental breakdowns and just constant feelings of sadness, and because I don’t open up to people easily I suffered through periods of immense stress and anxiety and I just felt like **** even though I seemed happy - I had some dark thoughts too that I don’t really want to get into just in case this comment gets flagged and removed. Because all I thought about was school, I didn’t have any time for myself and any time to do the things I WANTED to do (I’ve always wanted to do figure skating, but I haven’t been able to so I’m thinking of taking it up in university).
Applying for medicine 😂 the stress was UNREAL and I still didn’t get in (I think it’s for the best though)

Tbh there’s lots I didn’t do that I regret - I was too overly worked up about grades and WORK WORK WORK was all I thought about. I had lots of mental breakdowns and just constant feelings of sadness, and because I don’t open up to people easily I suffered through periods of immense stress and anxiety and I just felt like **** even though I seemed happy - I had some dark thoughts too that I don’t really want to get into just in case this comment gets flagged and removed. Because all I thought about was school, I didn’t have any time for myself and any time to do the things I WANTED to do (I’ve always wanted to do figure skating, but I haven’t been able to so I’m thinking of taking it up in university).

omg I so understand what you’re saying, I put so much pressure on myself to do well in my a levels that by the time it got to the summer before uni I was a wreck 😂

some good news for you though, being at uni is so so different to school, there’s more of a balance between social life and uni work and I feel like 100x less stressed doing important coursework than I ever did revising for school exams aha!! (:
I have firmed Nottingham and insured UCL (I didn’t receive any other offers - I got rejected from SGUL, QMUL and Birmingham) and I hope to study Pharmacy in September.

Wow doing Pharmacy at Nottingham is my dream. I'm currently in year 12 do you happen to have any tips for getting a place there? Also i'm writing my personal statement at the moment. Thanks
You lost your virginity?
How is yr 13? Is it stressful?
You lost your virginity?

NO I'm incapable of finding love :frown:.
Original post by akuaaaaaa
Wow doing Pharmacy at Nottingham is my dream. I'm currently in year 12 do you happen to have any tips for getting a place there? Also i'm writing my personal statement at the moment. Thanks

Pharmacy wasn't the career I initially planned on doing, so I don't really have any tips for pharmacy, apart from preparing the usual interview questions (why pharmacy, perhaps linking topics from A-level to pharmacy, etc.) and also brushing up on your chemistry. It's also a good idea to know where you can go with pharmacy, the role a pharmacist plays in healthcare, key skills needed, as well as knowing the GPhC's 9 standards for pharmaceutical professionals (Nottingham asks you to read up on it prior to interview) and knowing where and how each standard can be shown in a clinical setting. When I wrote my personal statement, each paragraph had a theme: introduction (I chose an anecdote to start it off), volunteering/work experience, A-levels, extracurricular, conclusion (I can't remember exactly how I did it but it was roughly like that).
Original post by Aminah T
How is yr 13? Is it stressful?

For me, y13 wasn't stressful in terms of the workload, but there was a lot of mental stress because of UCAS and final exams. By January, I learned to manage my time properly, and although I'd only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night, because I had a routine of waking up at the same time everyday (6:!5-6:30am), I felt less tired and got more work done (the days I started later I just went to the library - there'd be days I started after break so I'd end up being in the library for 3 hours straight (I took breaks though, to go to the toilet, fill my water bottle, watch videos and play short games (I had my own laptop and a VPN so no one could see what I was doing)).
Pharmacy wasn't the career I initially planned on doing, so I don't really have any tips for pharmacy, apart from preparing the usual interview questions (why pharmacy, perhaps linking topics from A-level to pharmacy, etc.) and also brushing up on your chemistry. It's also a good idea to know where you can go with pharmacy, the role a pharmacist plays in healthcare, key skills needed, as well as knowing the GPhC's 9 standards for pharmaceutical professionals (Nottingham asks you to read up on it prior to interview) and knowing where and how each standard can be shown in a clinical setting. When I wrote my personal statement, each paragraph had a theme: introduction (I chose an anecdote to start it off), volunteering/work experience, A-levels, extracurricular, conclusion (I can't remember ,how I did it but it was roughly like that).

Wow okay thank you so much! I will read up on the standards for pharmaceutical professionals. I've wanted to go into Veterinary Medicine since year 9 and only recently changed my course to pharmacy, so I am quite behind on all this. Thanks again :smile:.
hiya, do you keep a friendly monster under your bed that you feed digestives?

Quick Reply

Latest