The Student Room Group

Anyone else think Uni isn’t work £9,250?

My first year of uni was rubbish, everything on powerpoints, limited help from lecturers and what do you get out of that £9k?? Not a lot.. does anyone feel the same? Has anyone’s uni experience not been what they expected it to be?
It's not, and honestly, I'm only in it for the BSc certificate at the end of the day. That should give me a competitive playing field for an entry-level job now I'm competing with the other thousands of people with degrees.

The experience though, and the quality of my life and friends I have made, basically the intangible stuff, is so worth it though. The independence you get, and the fact it's probably the only time and place in your life that offer something unique like that, is in my opinion worth it. The friendships I have made and the fun I have had, which has ultimately built me as a person, is worth it overall for me.

If the SFE rule and regulations weren't around, I couldn't afford it. But I see the loan system being based around your future earnings and not standard monthly interest + principle repayments as worth it when I consider what I have learnt, what I have experienced and how it's the only time of my life I'll get this experience.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Khanthebrit
It's not, and honestly, I'm only in it for the BSc certificate at the end of the day. That should give me a competitive playing field for an entry-level job now I'm competing with the other thousands of people with degrees.

The experience though, and the quality of my life and friends I have made, basically the intangible stuff, is so worth it though. The independence you get, and the fact it's probably the only time and place in your life that offer something unique like that, is in my opinion worth it. The friendships I have made and the fun I have had, which has ultimately built me as a person, is worth it overall for me.

Oh yeah the life outside the lectures is great but for what you pay is a little much for a PowerPoint 😂
It’s much better than some other countries.

If the SFE rule and regulations weren't around, I couldn't afford it. But I see the loan system being based around your future earnings and not standard monthly interest + principle repayments as worth it when I consider what I have learnt, what I have experienced and how it's the only time of my life I'll get this experience.

Do you think I should move out or stay at home?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think I should move out or stay at home?

It depends, from my own experience I'd move out:

1) I enjoyed the independence and reveled in it. It allowed me to fully implant myself in the university experience, from the excessive drinking during freshers week (I know it's bad), meeting many people, being part of the community, learning. Ultimately I have made some great friends, friends I never thought I would have made. My quality of life has improved. This would not have happened had I not moved out. At the end of the day you're only 18 - 21/22 once in your life. It really is a unique experience, which I personally view as being worth it.

2) If the above isn't worth the maintenance to do all that to you, don't do it. It is expensive. However, I view the SFE system as being something I won't have to worry about. The finances were in place to allow me to do it. I got to experience and fully ingrain myself in university culture, a dream of mine.
It depends, from my own experience I'd move out:

1) I enjoyed the independence and reveled in it. It allowed me to fully implant myself in the university experience, from the excessive drinking during freshers week (I know it's bad), meeting many people, being part of the community, learning. Ultimately I have made some great friends, friends I never thought I would have made. My quality of life has improved. This would not have happened had I not moved out. At the end of the day you're only 18 - 21/22 once in your life. It really is a unique experience, which I personally view as being worth it.

2) If the above isn't worth the maintenance to do all that to you, don't do it. It is expensive. However, I view the SFE system as being something I won't have to worry about. The finances were in place to allow me to do it. I got to experience and fully ingrain myself in university culture, a dream of mine.

Can you always move back home in 2nd year if you don't end up enjoying it? Because Im really not into clubbing/drinking but want to be independent if that makes sense.
Original post by Anonymous
Can you always move back home in 2nd year if you don't end up enjoying it? Because Im really not into clubbing/drinking but want to be independent if that makes sense.

Yes ofc. 2nd year you usually need to find friends/other people to live in off-campus student housing. This involves having to look for properties in the private market. You can simply just decide to stay at home though. Had I been to a university closer to my home, I would have done this 2nd year. Would have saved me a heap of money.

If you don't enjoy it, you can move home at any time. Bear in mind when you sign the lease though, you may still be beholdent to the financial payments if you end up not enjoying it while living there. However, the tenancy is only for a year, so you're free to choose where you want to live when it comes to making arrangements for 2nd year housing, whether it be at your home or moving in with friends to another place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending