The Student Room Group

Finances and accommodation

Hey all,

I start university in September and still haven’t sorted my accommodation due to all this corona. I was wondering, how much student finance did you spend towards rent and did u have enough to live on after??
I’m getting 9.7k and I’ve found this really nice uni halls which is roughly £140 pw. Thing is I wana enjoy the freshers lifestyle too and don’t wanna miss out 😩

Any advice on what price range I should go for 🤔 I’m starting at uni of derby :smile:

Thanks, lots of love X
Original post by Sadz_x
Hey all,

I start university in September and still haven’t sorted my accommodation due to all this corona. I was wondering, how much student finance did you spend towards rent and did u have enough to live on after??
I’m getting 9.7k and I’ve found this really nice uni halls which is roughly £140 pw. Thing is I wana enjoy the freshers lifestyle too and don’t wanna miss out 😩
Any advice on what price range I should go for 🤔 I’m starting at uni of derby :smile:

Thanks, lots of love X

£140 a week! I paid £250 a month for a 4 bed house with 3 other students (£250 each of course). The only experience I've had with the student halls are my friends who lived in them, and none of them liked it. Well, one of them did, but she constantly had no money to do other things and when she moved out and into a house with me and another girl, she said she wished she had gone into a shared house at the start. If you don't mind sharing a house with other students, I'd look into that!
https://www.accommodationforstudents.com/search-results?location=Derby&area=&beds=0&searchType=house&lettingPeriod=academicYear&price=undefined&limit=12
I don't live in Derby so have no idea if these would be any use. Or maybe try facebook? When I couldn't get on campus accommodation/refused to pay £165 a week (at the time), I found others on facebook and we all shared a house.
Reply 2
Original post by HallieMarie
£140 a week! I paid £250 a month for a 4 bed house with 3 other students (£250 each of course). The only experience I've had with the student halls are my friends who lived in them, and none of them liked it. Well, one of them did, but she constantly had no money to do other things and when she moved out and into a house with me and another girl, she said she wished she had gone into a shared house at the start. If you don't mind sharing a house with other students, I'd look into that!
https://www.accommodationforstudents.com/search-results?location=Derby&area=&beds=0&searchType=house&lettingPeriod=academicYear&price=undefined&limit=12
I don't live in Derby so have no idea if these would be any use. Or maybe try facebook? When I couldn't get on campus accommodation/refused to pay £165 a week (at the time), I found others on facebook and we all shared a house.

Omg that’s actually quite a good idea! Thanks for that :smile: How much student loan were u on and how much would u reckon u were left with after rent
Original post by Sadz_x
Omg that’s actually quite a good idea! Thanks for that :smile: How much student loan were u on and how much would u reckon u were left with after rent

I think I had £7500-£8000 ish? It was a few years ago so I can't remember exactly and my MA finance is a bit different, but I think I had around £90-£100 a week left over, it was £8 a month for internet, and we paid £80 every 3 months for gas and electric and water wasn't much. But some weeks you'll obviously spend a lot less so the following week you'd have more :smile: The biggest cost was the transport to uni which was £3.60 a day but we luckily lived not too far so would sometimes just walk home :smile:
Reply 4
I think I had £7500-£8000 ish? It was a few years ago so I can't remember exactly and my MA finance is a bit different, but I think I had around £90-£100 a week left over, it was £8 a month for internet, and we paid £80 every 3 months for gas and electric and water wasn't much. But some weeks you'll obviously spend a lot less so the following week you'd have more :smile: The biggest cost was the transport to uni which was £3.60 a day but we luckily lived not too far so would sometimes just walk home :smile:

Ahhh thanks for that :smile: I’m just so worried that’ll end up broke, like I’ve found some nice house shared I’m not exactly worried about making friends and moving in as I’m quite sociable, I’m just worried I’ll end up with nothing at the end of it but it’s so mad how cheap house shares actually are compared to student halls!!! Student halls are genuine rip offs 😩 How did you pay your rent though, like I know student halls take rent through 3 installments, was that the same with the house share or did you have to save money from your SF each month? So sorry for the questions I’m so new to this 😅
Original post by Sadz_x
Ahhh thanks for that :smile: I’m just so worried that’ll end up broke, like I’ve found some nice house shared I’m not exactly worried about making friends and moving in as I’m quite sociable, I’m just worried I’ll end up with nothing at the end of it but it’s so mad how cheap house shares actually are compared to student halls!!! Student halls are genuine rip offs 😩 How did you pay your rent though, like I know student halls take rent through 3 installments, was that the same with the house share or did you have to save money from your SF each month? So sorry for the questions I’m so new to this 😅

oh god, don't feel bad about asking questions! ask away! I was exactly the same and I felt like no-one had answers haha, Yeah it's absolutely ridiculous! A friend of mine was surviving on £38 a week after her rent was taken (though this included food and was on campus accommodation) and she struggled so much that first year. So you'll get student finance in 3 installments, the first one will be 1 week after you register at uni, and then the next is the first week of Jan and then the third is in April (also, the April one is always a tiny bit more). If you private rent, well it depends on the letting agents- the first year, I had to do bank transfers each month through online banking (my bank messed up my student account) but the other people I was sharing with had a direct debit (so the money was just taken) and then for the second and third years I was with a different agency and we had a joint bank account where we would transfer the money each month online (it's really easy) into that bank and the agency would then take the money for the rent :smile: So what I did was work out how much money you have from your first instalment to the second, so say it's 9k (and ignoring that the third installment is a little bit more because it's usually around £105 more lol) so you'd get 3k for Sep-Jan, so say it's 4 months that means you get £750 a month (but then you'll start late September/get money then so it may be less months to work out) and then minus your rent so say it's £350, then you know for that month you have £400 to spend? I don't know if that makes sense or if I've complicated it, but it will depend on the dates you get your student finance :smile:
Reply 6
oh god, don't feel bad about asking questions! ask away! I was exactly the same and I felt like no-one had answers haha, Yeah it's absolutely ridiculous! A friend of mine was surviving on £38 a week after her rent was taken (though this included food and was on campus accommodation) and she struggled so much that first year. So you'll get student finance in 3 installments, the first one will be 1 week after you register at uni, and then the next is the first week of Jan and then the third is in April (also, the April one is always a tiny bit more). If you private rent, well it depends on the letting agents- the first year, I had to do bank transfers each month through online banking (my bank messed up my student account) but the other people I was sharing with had a direct debit (so the money was just taken) and then for the second and third years I was with a different agency and we had a joint bank account where we would transfer the money each month online (it's really easy) into that bank and the agency would then take the money for the rent :smile: So what I did was work out how much money you have from your first instalment to the second, so say it's 9k (and ignoring that the third installment is a little bit more because it's usually around £105 more lol) so you'd get 3k for Sep-Jan, so say it's 4 months that means you get £750 a month (but then you'll start late September/get money then so it may be less months to work out) and then minus your rent so say it's £350, then you know for that month you have £400 to spend? I don't know if that makes sense or if I've complicated it, but it will depend on the dates you get your student finance :smile:

I definitely understand that thank you SO much 😩 you couldn’t have explained it any better I finally have a better understanding!!! You’ve definitely helped my little brain 😂 When I used to work i would survive on £750 a month anyway so it isn’t too bad. The perks of being independent is I definitely know how to manage my finances whilst having a good time! Roll on September!!!🥳 What are house shares like with the whole letting procedure though as I haven’t rented out anywhere before, it’s my first time you see 😅xxx
I can't really remember the first year much, I'm mentioning first year because I agreed to live with people i'd never met etc but I think they let us have 3 weeks free rent because the house was such a mess etc, so I vaguely remember going with my 3 housemates and signing papers after 3 weeks living there but that's it haha but with 2nd year where I lived with friends, we viewed houses (so many houses) and when we liked one we signed some forms (3-4) and had to pay £80 agency fees (which I think have been scrapped now) and then we needed to pay a deposit which was £265 (equal to a months rent). Also, in terms of a deposit it's exactly the same for on campus and off campus uni accomodation :smile: We all signed individual contracts and went to the bank together to set up an account :smile: I'm not sure if that answers your question? You're only responsible for your share of the rent if you're concerned about that? if someone can't pay, it's on them and their responsibility, It isn't a group thing in that sense :smile: and then, on the day you move in you go and pick up your keys from the agency or someone in your house can (for us, my friend picked up ours because we didn't have individual locks on our doors). But for first year, we all had to go as we all had locks on our doors. Also there may be a thing where one room is bigger so maybe the person who has that room will offer to pay more etc. We never did but I heard that some people did :smile: ahh, it's actually really exciting! If you have any other questions, ask away :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest