The Student Room Group

I'm scared of riots happening

I haven't been out lately because I'm scared the UK will have riots like in the US, I lived through it in 2011 and that scared me so much, any idea how to deal with these fears?

Scroll to see replies

Do you live in London? If not there's nothing to worry about.
Reply 2
There needs to be something to trigger a riot. In 2011 it was the death of Mark Duggan, in America it was the death of George Floyd. I doubt there will be a riot anyway.
Riots over what? The UK and the USA have different cultures and the 2011 riots were used by a lot of thugs as an excuse to jump on the bandwagon and do some vandalism and rooting. Imo it would take a lot for riots to the extent of the current USA ones to happen here.
Riots won't happen because:
1. Tensions aren't as high here.
2. Law enforcement isn't escalating protests. Even the Extinction Rebellion protests which were for more extreme did not get violent because the police remained peaceful.
Reply 5
Original post by --Student
Do you live in London? If not there's nothing to worry about.

Yes I live in north London
Reply 6
come on 2011 wasn't even that bad, it was a like a week of 'civil unrest' and sucked for small business owners but anyone who stayed home was fine.
I'm scared being white walking the streets I fear being attacked
Original post by Anonymous

Don't be silly. :grumble:
We are under lockdown in the middle of a pandemic, not in the middle of ww3.
Reply 9
Be kind
Reply 10

If you're in the UK, how many news stories have you read about white people being attacked at random over George Floyd? I haven't even heard about it happening elsewhere, just people hurt during the riots.

People can get mugged at any time. A few years ago I was randomly assaulted after a football match. Guess what, didn't stop me going out and doing anything. Don't be so dramatic.
I haven't been out lately because I'm scared the UK will have riots like in the US, I lived through it in 2011 and that scared me so much, any idea how to deal with these fears?

Chill.

You should be worried about the virus than riots in the UK...

UK/US have vastly diff 'protesting' cultures

I have never seen a British policeman attack peaceful protesters In the way I’ve seen American police.
what is wrong with them???
Original post by Buttmuffin
Chill.

You should be worried about the virus than riots in the UK...

UK/US have vastly diff 'protesting' cultures

We will queue nicely 2 metres apart 😂😂
Original post by Vam1970
I have never seen a British policeman attack peaceful protesters In the way I’ve seen American police.

You must be pretty young then :/ I'm not about to claim UK police are the same as US police, but they're broadly capable of the same atrocities.
Original post by StriderHort
You must be pretty young then :/ I'm not about to claim UK police are the same as US police, but they're broadly capable of the same atrocities.

I’m 50 so no not young at all!
I am literally disgusted by the American police and I have never seen a televised news report show a British policeman Hit a cameraman with his shield When he was sitting down or fire rubber bullets at a man with his hands up.
Don’t get me wrong there probably have been unprovoked attacks by Britain police but I’ve seen more in the last few days than most of us will see in a lifetime I’m the UK!

hey, i live in north london as well. the protests are getting out of hand but its for a good cause. as long as your not really caught up in the protests there is nothing to worry about. the point of the protests is for basic equality and equity with human rights.
Original post by Vam1970

there is some racism in the UK. it is an issue everywhere. there are black men (in particular) being stopped and searched because they "fit a certain criteria". there is racism in the police department. there is racism in the UK and it needs to end. i guess the riots are supposed to be like some sort of intervention.
Original post by lunathefighter
there is some racism in the UK. it is an issue everywhere. there are black men (in particular) being stopped and searched because they "fit a certain criteria". there is racism in the police department. there is racism in the UK and it needs to end. i guess the riots are supposed to be like some sort of intervention.

I've never been stopped as a black man before, but I've seen others... on the news... being stopped due to knife crime and gang-related nonsense (I assume if that there is a pattern among people with certain characteristics, then they end up being stopped or whatever), and then they stopped doing that and the situation got worse if you remember.
Original post by J Zonda
come on 2011 wasn't even that bad, it was a like a week of 'civil unrest' and sucked for small business owners but anyone who stayed home was fine.

It was bad actually. I lived through the Brixton riots in the 1980s. That was blooming scary too.

Quick Reply

Latest