The Student Room Group

MSc Business Analytics - maths difficulty?

Hi Has anyone completed an Msc in Business Analytics, coming from a completely different undergraduate background? How did you manage and how would you describe difficulty of the maths, if you didn’t come maths/comp sci/engineering or another degree that has lotsss of maths experience? I did a pharmacy degree which did have lots of problem solving and different analytical skills and one small statistics module but nothing like those other courses. Would I really struggle to do well? I didn’t do A-level Maths at college (UK), but I did get a B in my AS maths. (I’m also trying to teach myself SQL and python atm) Also, do I still have a good shot for applications at this point in time? I know a lot of places don't close till August, but I also know that they've been open pretty early since like November.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by m121
Hi Has anyone completed an Msc in Business Analytics, coming from a completely different undergraduate background?How did you manage and how would you describe difficulty of the maths, if you didn’t come maths/comp sci/engineering or another degree that has lotsss of maths experience? I did a pharmacy degree which did have lots of problem solving and different analytical skills and one small statistics module but nothing like those other courses. Would I really struggle to do well? I didn’t do A-level Maths at college (UK), but I did get a B in my AS maths. (I’m also trying to teach myself SQL and python atm)Also, do I still have a good shot for applications at this point in time? I know a lot of places don't close till August, but I also know that they've been open pretty early since like November.

Math is not necessary for Business Analytics however being good in math would definitely give you an edge over others. Statistics are at the heart of analytics but since the course is Business Analytics and not Data Science you should be good there.

Although, some universities do have a pre-requisite to have certain modules they clearly call that out. As per the deadlines, commence the application process as even though the last cycle may be open till August most seats of the better universities get filled up by July.

I too am trying to get into Data Science this year, good luck to you!
Reply 2
Original post by saish20
Math is not necessary for Business Analytics however being good in math would definitely give you an edge over others. Statistics are at the heart of analytics but since the course is Business Analytics and not Data Science you should be good there.

Although, some universities do have a pre-requisite to have certain modules they clearly call that out. As per the deadlines, commence the application process as even though the last cycle may be open till August most seats of the better universities get filled up by July.

Sorry late reply, but thank you so much!! :smile:

Can I just ask for your opinion please - i've noticed with Manchester uni, they have 2 sort of business analytics courses (well one is called business analytics and one is called 'business analysis'.

The first is 'business analytics: operational research and risk analysis' and does ask for quantitative modules.
However with this course, the units seem to be more maths based/more data sciencey than the other unis i've seen? Do you think this will involve actual maths or is more about logic and using the tools to do maths?
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/09454/msc-business-analytics-operational-research-and-risk-analysis/course-details/#course-profile

The second is called 'business analysis and strategic management' which contains more of the business side. It doesn't ask for quantitative modules from your undergrad at all and doesn't seem that much into the typical business analytics at all.

I'm not sure which one to go for, as the title 'business analytics' would be more relevant and give me more relevant skills if i did decide to go into a business analyst role, but i'm not sure if the maths is out of my league with that course :confused:

Also good luck with getting into data science! Have you heard back from unis yet? And how many are you gonna apply to? :smile:
Original post by m121

Can I just ask for your opinion please - i've noticed with Manchester uni, they have 2 sort of business analytics courses (well one is called business analytics and one is called 'business analysis'.

The first is 'business analytics: operational research and risk analysis' and does ask for quantitative modules.
However with this course, the units seem to be more maths based/more data sciencey than the other unis i've seen? Do you think this will involve actual maths or is more about logic and using the tools to do maths?
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/09454/msc-business-analytics-operational-research-and-risk-analysis/course-details/#course-profile

The second is called 'business analysis and strategic management' which contains more of the business side. It doesn't ask for quantitative modules from your undergrad at all and doesn't seem that much into the typical business analytics at all.

I'm not sure which one to go for, as the title 'business analytics' would be more relevant and give me more relevant skills if i did decide to go into a business analyst role, but i'm not sure if the maths is out of my league with that course :confused:

Also good luck with getting into data science! Have you heard back from unis yet? And how many are you gonna apply to? :smile:

The math or stat module that you are referring to wouldn't be of an engineering grade. One or both modules would be part of the program in not just Manchester but any other university for that matter. These modules can be dealt with as they wouldn't be actual math, some techniques, principle or theorems and you would be applying those in other modules.

If you are unsure, I would recommend that you check the recommended reading section of that particular module to get an overview of things.

I had applied for Data Science (Computer Science Data Informatics), got a reject though with a revert stating the admit rate for the program is just 3%. As of now, I hold offers from Cardiff and Strathclyde and awaiting reverts from Leeds and Sheffield. Glasgow too rejected my application as my graduation course didn't cover one of the core modules required for the program:frown:
Reply 4
Original post by m121

The entry requirements for the OR and risk msc programme ask for a quant subject in their requirements (maths, stats, physics, compsci, econ etc), so you may be quite unlikely to get on it. However you should be ok for the other msc programme you listed!
Reply 5
Original post by saish20
The math or stat module that you are referring to wouldn't be of an engineering grade. One or both modules would be part of the program in not just Manchester but any other university for that matter. These modules can be dealt with as they wouldn't be actual math, some techniques, principle or theorems and you would be applying those in other modules.

If you are unsure, I would recommend that you check the recommended reading section of that particular module to get an overview of things.

I had applied for Data Science (Computer Science Data Informatics), got a reject though with a revert stating the admit rate for the program is just 3%. As of now, I hold offers from Cardiff and Strathclyde and awaiting reverts from Leeds and Sheffield. Glasgow too rejected my application as my graduation course didn't cover one of the core modules required for the program:frown:

Okay, thank you!

Wow I didn't realise till recently just how low the probability is to get a place. I used to think they just want your money lol so accepted people easily. Then my friend told me how their applied to our uni (Bath) where they did the undergrad too, but they still got rejected despite meeting the entry requirements. I saw how for Manchester aswell, they had like 1200 applicants with only 60 places. Saying that, you've especially done very very well to get two offers so far so well done, don't feel too bad at all! I don't know much about Stratchclyde, but Cardiff uni is meant to be really nice :smile: How long did you have to wait before hearing back from those places?
Reply 6
Original post by chi2
The entry requirements for the OR and risk msc programme ask for a quant subject in their requirements (maths, stats, physics, compsci, econ etc), so you may be quite unlikely to get on it. However you should be ok for the other msc programme you listed!

Yeah with the competitiveness with master's, i'm now wondering if the places i've applied to have been futile :/ I might have to apply to things more in general Strategy instead and try get into a business analyst grad scheme that way I'm thinking
Reply 7
Original post by saish20

On top of asking how soon you heard back, please could I also ask when did you start applying to places in general?
Original post by m121
On top of asking how soon you heard back, please could I also ask when did you start applying to places in general?

i had submitted my applications just over a month ago, for rejections the reverts were quick within 1-10 days although this couldn't be generalised as this was my case, for the ones that i received admits it took more than 15 days and I am still awaiting reverts from 2 universities, I am hoping for positive replies from these 2 :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by saish20
i had submitted my applications just over a month ago, for rejections the reverts were quick within 1-10 days although this couldn't be generalised as this was my case, for the ones that i received admits it took more than 15 days and I am still awaiting reverts from 2 universities, I am hoping for positive replies from these 2 :tongue:

Wow that’s crazy! I hear it usually takes 8-10 weeks so they got back to you incredibly fast. I’m wondering if the pandemic will make it easier or harder to get a place - on one hand loads of international students might defer and on the other hand, recent uk graduates might be getting scared and have applied to do a master’s now :confused:
Original post by m121
Wow that’s crazy! I hear it usually takes 8-10 weeks so they got back to you incredibly fast. I’m wondering if the pandemic will make it easier or harder to get a place - on one hand loads of international students might defer and on the other hand, recent uk graduates might be getting scared and have applied to do a master’s now :confused:

Deferring is all that is all my mind but I am sceptical only for one reason that the competition next year would be that much hard. On the other hand, I think paying such loads of money for online classes just doesn't make any sense to me.
People would argue on this point but this is just my opinion as to the essence of a face to face lecture along with other students is just not captured in a virtual classroom.

Pandemic has made it just a tad bit easier to get a place as students have differed and the universities are trying to fill in as many seats as possible its a business after all and everyone has to selfish in their own way.
Reply 11
Original post by saish20
Deferring is all that is all my mind but I am sceptical only for one reason that the competition next year would be that much hard. On the other hand, I think paying such loads of money for online classes just doesn't make any sense to me.
People would argue on this point but this is just my opinion as to the essence of a face to face lecture along with other students is just not captured in a virtual classroom.

Pandemic has made it just a tad bit easier to get a place as students have differed and the universities are trying to fill in as many seats as possible its a business after all and everyone has to selfish in their own way.

I agree - I might have been tempted to do an online MSc for the sake of living costs etc, however, the fact that they also haven't lowered the price of online master's is ridiculous too! I don't know if they're going to try enforce social distancing measures at universities and what that would mean in terms of lecture class sizes though, that's also something that's not been mentioned.
That last line is reassuring to me aha, I think potentially people will be waiting till the very end of the deadline to see how it all plays out!
Potentially you getting your replies so fast is an indicator of the lower competition, but haven't seen actual stats or anything on it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending