The Student Room Group

Lord Toulson Essay Prize in Law 2020

Hi guys! Wondering who else entered the 2020 Lord Toulson essay prize in law at Jesus College, Cambridge.
How did you guys find it? I tried to keep mine concise but I just finished under the word limit. I looked at it more philosophically/sociologically so I’m not sure if that was a good way of going at it :/
I’m not sure when they’ll get back to us but when they do, I’ll let you guys know how I did and keep me updated on how you do!
Wishing you all the best of luck.

Scroll to see replies

I found it alright I guess but I found it hard to write more words tbh. I completely wrote very less than the work limit. I think that's a good way but honestly I dont even know how to approach it that well. Aww thanks I will too. Good luck :rave:
I think I ended up doing 7 paras? I was confused if i was even referencing the right stuff too but haha. I’m sure you’ve done fab!
Original post by tireddddstudent
I think I ended up doing 7 paras? I was confused if i was even referencing the right stuff too but haha. I’m sure you’ve done fab!

Damn 7 :eek: how???? I only did 4 including intro and conclusion. I didnt bother with referencing tbh and there wasnt really anything I could reference tbh so thankfully they arent too bothered about that. Thank you and I'm sure you did, considering how much you thought about the question. Also can you tag me or quote me if you want me to see this as notifications dont pop up without doing so?
Original post by PetitePanda
Damn 7 :eek: how???? I only did 4 including intro and conclusion. I didnt bother with referencing tbh and there wasnt really anything I could reference tbh so thankfully they arent too bothered about that. Thank you and I'm sure you did, considering how much you thought about the question. Also can you tag me or quote me if you want me to see this as notifications dont pop up without doing so?

Haha not crazyyyy massive 7 paras but including intro and conclusion yah haha. What was your conclusion? I said they shouldn’t be bound by their past decisions bc of lack of diversity and their general approach is too detached hahaha many not the best argument
Haha not crazyyyy massive 7 paras but including intro and conclusion yah haha. What was your conclusion? I said they shouldn’t be bound by their past decisions bc of lack of diversity and their general approach is too detached hahaha many not the best argument

Wdym by lack of diversity? How was is it too detached? (I'm just curious on other people's views btw) My conclusion was to support that they should be bounded because we need a solid foundation we can rely on but only to some extent as we need to allow development to happen considering our society changes continuously and we shouldn't turn away from injustices by strictly following the previous rules. I feel so bad for being like this - I honestly hate not sticking to one side but there are good reasons for both sides so my conclusion is supportive for both sides
(edited 3 years ago)
Wdym by lack of diversity? How was is it too detached? (I'm just curious on other people's views btw) My conclusion was to support that they should be bounded because we need a solid foundation we can rely on but only to some extent as we need to allow development to happen considering our society changes continuously and we shouldn't turn away from injustices by strictly following the previous rules. I feel so bad for being like this - I honestly hate not sticking to one side but there are good reasons for both sides so my conclusion is supportive for both sides

Lack of diversity within the justices means decisions they make doesn’t reflect our diverse society so decisions aren’t in the whole country’s interest. And they simply look at legislation when it comes to decisions, like I know that’s the point, but a direct application of the law doesn’t mean a fair outcome. Sorry it’s hard to explain without writing some huge essays. And yours sounds really good, I think I was heading toward those sorts of points. They might like the balanced approach !
Lack of diversity within the justices means decisions they make doesn’t reflect our diverse society so decisions aren’t in the whole country’s interest. And they simply look at legislation when it comes to decisions, like I know that’s the point, but a direct application of the law doesn’t mean a fair outcome. Sorry it’s hard to explain without writing some huge essays. And yours sounds really good, I think I was heading toward those sorts of points. They might like the balanced approach !

Ohhh I seee I like how you added that. I totally agree with the fair outcome and I understand what you mean because I think I had a similar topic approach with injustice in the legal system - I wish I could've put an example but I did it under the pressure of the deadline its a shame. Thank you I think yours sounds good too and I like the topics you added. Haha maybe hopefully. I'm honestly just afraid they never will get it because there's no email confirming it but I did sent it and the deadline got me confused honestly - it was not the best in clarifying the key detail as some comps I've done before
Ohhh I seee I like how you added that. I totally agree with the fair outcome and I understand what you mean because I think I had a similar topic approach with injustice in the legal system - I wish I could've put an example but I did it under the pressure of the deadline its a shame. Thank you I think yours sounds good too and I like the topics you added. Haha maybe hopefully. I'm honestly just afraid they never will get it because there's no email confirming it but I did sent it and the deadline got me confused honestly - it was not the best in clarifying the key detail as some comps I've done before

Omg same ahhh, my email said there was an error at first but it was in my sent box bit?? so confusing, I wish they gave me some reassurance that it’s been received because I sent it in like 10 days early too so I would’ve had all that time to resend it and sort it out. Imagine all the time wasted if it didn’t send!!
Omg same ahhh, my email said there was an error at first but it was in my sent box bit?? so confusing, I wish they gave me some reassurance that it’s been received because I sent it in like 10 days early too so I would’ve had all that time to resend it and sort it out. Imagine all the time wasted if it didn’t send!!

Same I wish I had some reassurance I actually sent it. Ikr it would be a shame if it didnt.
Same I wish I had some reassurance I actually sent it. Ikr it would be a shame if it didnt.

I’m sure we both did fab though. I wonder how many people actually entered since it’s worldwide. I’m trying not to get my hopes up because the completion is so widespread
I’m sure we both did fab though. I wonder how many people actually entered since it’s worldwide. I’m trying not to get my hopes up because the completion is so widespread

Really? It’s worldwide? Where did it say? It’s still a good opportunity though even if we don’t win
Really? It’s worldwide? Where did it say? It’s still a good opportunity though even if we don’t win

Yeah I think on the Cambridge page it said it was worldwide. But true; they have our data and stuff so it’s still something to talk about in an interview/personal statement
I entered this also, when do u think they will get back to us I never got a confirmation email. Are you all applying to Cambridge law this year?
Original post by Student639
I entered this also, when do u think they will get back to us I never got a confirmation email. Are you all applying to Cambridge law this year?

I dont think they do because I didnt. I'm considering but probably not with my grades

A student last year posted they got a email back on June 6th so maybe we’ll get it around the same time. I was sure I wanted to apply to Cambridge to at least give it a shot but I think I’m actually leaning more towards Oxford now :smile:
Ah, i was considering Cambridge this year but it scares me a little if lots of people cancel their offers incase it makes it harder for us.
Ah, i was considering Cambridge this year but it scares me a little if lots of people cancel their offers incase it makes it harder for us.

same here :frown:(( i just think we might as well go for it, just so you know you’ve given yourself the chance
Reply 18
Does anyone know roughly when we'll hear back from them?
Original post by Rita777
Does anyone know roughly when we'll hear back from them?

From previous years' threads on here, it should be roughly this month

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending