The Student Room Group

Advice regarding falling behind at University and addiction.

I was just wondering if I could please get any advice/help regarding my current situation.
I am in my first year (which has sadly just been cut short due to COVID-19), and am now awaiting a zoom meeting with my course leader.
I have started falling behind at University and believe it's unlikely I will pass 2nd year.
At the end of last year, my best friend had a freak accident and died, after this, my already bad drinking problem (Probably caused by my two other friends who died before him) worsened and therefore started missing lectures to get drunk. When I say addiction I don't mean have one too many beers, I mean drinking litre upon litre of Vodka on my own and not seeing any friends. Following my already bad attendance, I broke my arm at the end of the autumn term and missed much of the spring term due to surgeries. I can't help but feel that I am not destined to finish my degree but now I am too scared to drop out as I owe thousands of pounds. I don't want to drop out and I know I'm not stupid and I can do it, but I need an action plan. Has anyone else managed to prevail after a similar experience?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by watl500
I was just wondering if I could please get any advice/help regarding my current situation.
I am in my first year (which has sadly just been cut short due to COVID-19), and am now awaiting a zoom meeting with my course leader.
I have started falling behind at University and believe it's unlikely I will pass 2nd year.
At the end of last year, my best friend had a freak accident and died, after this, my already bad drinking problem (Probably caused by my two other friends who died before him) worsened and therefore started missing lectures to get drunk. When I say addiction I don't mean have one too many beers, I mean drinking litre upon litre of Vodka on my own and not seeing any friends. Following my already bad attendance, I broke my arm at the end of the autumn term and missed much of the spring term due to surgeries. I can't help but feel that I am not destined to finish my degree but now I am too scared to drop out as I owe thousands of pounds. I don't want to drop out and I know I'm not stupid and I can do it, but I need an action plan. Has anyone else managed to prevail after a similar experience?

You need to start by going to see your GP and facing up to your addiction for your own health.
A GPs letter can confirm, everything youve said.

Alcoholism, depression, anxiety, broken arm+ How it affected your studies.
You can then suspend your studies and get well.
Consider joining an alcoholics anonymous program.
https://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/about-aa/newcomers/a-message-for-young-people

What you can then do by suspending and assuming you like your degree is make an extenuating circumstances request to start Y2 again as it seems like a complete washout.
Evidence from a counsellor plus surgery will also help support your claim.
The worst thing you can do is bury your head in the sand.
They will take notice but they will want evidence.

No need to panic, just get yourself sorted and go back when ready. If you tell them the truth plus have the evidence it will be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You need to start by going to see your GP and facing up to your addiction for your own health.
A GPs letter can confirm, everything youve said.

Alcoholism, depression, anxiety, broken arm+ How it affected your studies.
You can then suspend your studies and get well.
Consider joining an alcoholics anonymous program.
https://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/about-aa/newcomers/a-message-for-young-people

What you can then do by suspending and assuming you like your degree is make an extenuating circumstances request to start Y2 again as it seems like a complete washout.
Evidence from a counsellor plus surgery will also help support your claim.
The worst thing you can do is bury your head in the sand.
They will take notice but they will want evidence.

No need to panic, just get yourself sorted and go back when ready. If you tell them the truth plus have the evidence it will be fine.

Update! I am now 3 months sober and I finished second year with a first! I sorted my **** out! Cheers guys!
Original post by watl500
Update! I am now 3 months sober and I finished second year with a first! I sorted my **** out! Cheers guys!

That's fantastic news! Go you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest