The Student Room Group

Any recommendations for French books?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
l'Étranger by Albert Camus is a pretty famous one, the language isn't too difficult.
There's also the classics by Jules Verne which were originally written in French.

I'll try out l'Étranger because I've heard lots of good things but never managed to read it. Thank you :smile:

I read Autour du monde en 80 jours a couple of months ago and found it okay because I've read it in English, so you've just reminded me that I need to read more of Jules Verne :borat:
Original post by InspiredPleb
I can only confirm things that others have said, really!

Anything by Camus is a good bet, and l'Etranger should be pretty good for language students as it's very mature in it's presentation but is pretty short by modern standards. Some of the translation differences are very interesting as well.

Le Petit Prince is a book I have a huge personal bias for, as someone who's only just in their later teens. A coming of age book that's really artfully done :')

I haven't read anything else by Jules Verne , so keep that in mind, but I found 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea in translation to be very dull. It's not what I expected a classic action/adventure sci-fi book with a dash of philosophy to be.. Try it out though if you're interested!

I agree, le petit prince is really good.

I haven't read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Is it just the translation that's dull or is it dull in English as well?

And thank you!
Original post by Roses_Dreams
I was given the opportunity to take Spanish as an extra GCSE at the start of this year, and both classes are taught at the same time :dontknow:

It's good that you're getting exposure so early :yep: what type of music do you listen to?

Oh that's cool. Apparently Spanish is easier than other languages. I did an extra GCSE last year, in my mother-tongue. It was surprisingly hard for a language that I was fluent in and was my first language.

I mostly listen to pop music like Dadiju, Lenni-Kim or Indila. Rap isn't really my thing.

How did you find Spanish? Was it fun?
Original post by Jeparlepas
Oh that's cool. Apparently Spanish is easier than other languages. I did an extra GCSE last year, in my mother-tongue. It was surprisingly hard for a language that I was fluent in and was my first language.

I mostly listen to pop music like Dadiju, Lenni-Kim or Indila. Rap isn't really my thing.

How did you find Spanish? Was it fun?

I find French easier :awesome: although I know I'm probably in the minority. Yeah, I'm sitting another language next year (so 3 in total).

Ooo I love Indila's songs! Although I must admit I do like rap, and I also listen to a lot of it haha.

I really enjoy it, Spanish is challenging because I started it in November and the class has literally gone through most of the modules. :redface: Other than that, it's really good.
Hi,
I'm looking for some good books to read in French but I don't really know where to get started. I think I'm at an intermediate level in the language, and I've just started reading No et moi.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Duolingo website is free
Original post by OwenMidlands
Duolingo website is free

Ok but Duolingo stories are kinda dead
Original post by Jenna-Mae
It's about twin boys (maybe 8 years old) who are surrounded by awful people. They don't have great morals themselves. There's a war going on in the background, and there's some weird sexual stuff. You should be fine, so long as you're not super squeamish :smile:

Sounds very French :laugh:
I haven't read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Is it just the translation that's dull or is it dull in English as well?

Sorry I worded myself awkwardly haha ! By "in translation" I meant me reading it translated into English was dull. Lengthy and detailed books don't turn me off at all, but how uninteresting the plot was for me made me put it down. Then again, since I haven't read it the original in French (I'm at intermediate level myself and was a bit intimidated by the length!) I don't have a perfect idea of it's quality.
Sorry I worded myself awkwardly haha ! By "in translation" I meant me reading it translated into English was dull. Lengthy and detailed books don't turn me off at all, but how uninteresting the plot was for me made me put it down. Then again, since I haven't read it the original in French (I'm at intermediate level myself and was a bit intimidated by the length!) I don't have a perfect idea of it's quality.

Ohhh loool well that's put me off :rofl:

To chip in, having read it in French (and had to study it for a couple months): you are right. It is boring :yep:

Lots of classic 1800s French literature is like this because writers of that period (like Dickens as an English counterpart) were very into scene-setting and detail to a level that becomes very dull if you’re not deeply into it and invested in the novel (which you can be, Victor Hugo for example does this but is also good at plot!) If you do read it, do not be afraid to skip bits/ignore highly technical language is my advice! L’Etranger and all the existentialist jazz (you might enjoy Sartre’s plays?), as had been said, are much more accessible highbrow French literature, @Roses _ Dreams :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
To chip in, having read it in French (and had to study it for a couple months): you are right. It is boring :yep:

Lots of classic 1800s French literature is like this because writers of that period (like Dickens as an English counterpart) were very into scene-setting and detail to a level that becomes very dull if you’re not deeply into it and invested in the novel (which you can be, Victor Hugo for example does this but is also good at plot!) If you do read it, do not be afraid to skip bits/ignore highly technical language is my advice! L’Etranger and all the existentialist jazz (you might enjoy Sartre’s plays?), as had been said, are much more accessible highbrow French literature, @Roses _ Dreams :smile:

I think I'll put off reading it for now, and maybe I'll come back to it if I have nothing else :dontknow: I just really don't want to read something dull because I know how demotivating that can be in a foreign language, I honestly don't mind if something is challenging but I really can't do boring. :nope:

Thank you for the advice :yep:
I think I'll put off reading it for now, and maybe I'll come back to it if I have nothing else :dontknow: I just really don't want to read something dull because I know how demotivating that can be in a foreign language, I honestly don't mind if something is challenging but I really can't do boring. :nope:

Thank you for the advice :yep:

Very sensible :smile: I hope you enjoy the other books you’re reading!
Original post by becausethenight
Very sensible :smile: I hope you enjoy the other books you’re reading!

Thank you :colondollar:
Hi,
I'm looking for some good books to read in French but I don't really know where to get started. I think I'm at an intermediate level in the language, and I've just started reading No et moi.

'Le Petit Prince' is a great book. Ive read it in English, but it was originally written in French.

Here's a link to it.
http://www.cmls.polytechnique.fr/perso/tringali/documents/st_exupery_le_petit_prince.pdf
L’alouette by Jean Anouilh. It’s a play about Joan of Arc and quite easy reading. It makes fun of the English in the form of the duke of Warwick. It’s strange seeing how the French view us.
Sorry earl of Warwick!
Original post by Oxford Mum
L’alouette by Jean Anouilh. It’s a play about Joan of Arc and quite easy reading. It makes fun of the English in the form of the duke of Warwick. It’s strange seeing how the French view us.

Ooo thank you so much! That sounds really interesting, I'm looking forward to that (and I like reading about Joan of Arc :yep:).
It seems from the book that our Joan has quite a sense of humour too! This is not a dour book. In fact it was the first French book I studied for a level
Hi,

Asterix!
Original post by RogerOxon
Asterix!

How could I forget Astérix :question:

The wonderful world of bande dessinée awaits you, OP!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending