The Student Room Group

7.8 billion tonnes of plastic in the world right now let's send it all off to Mars

Would you send off all the plastics that are currently polluting our world to Mars, to protect the species on land and in oceans, if you had the chance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by curiousperson123
Would you send off all the plastics that are currently polluting our world to Mars, to protect the species on land and in oceans, if you had the chance?

Why Mars? Might as well just check it into space and have it float away, o so far away
i don't have anything against mars so sending it to a different obscure part of space would suit me more
Original post by WoodlandSorcerer
Why Mars? Might as well just check it into space and have it float away, o so far away

Yh true but will it float away? What if it starts orbiting a planet?
Yh true but will it float away? What if it starts orbiting a planet?

So what? Chuck it far from a planet so it floats really far away, it might orbit a lifeless planet so who cares?
Original post by WoodlandSorcerer
So what? Chuck it far from a planet so it floats really far away, it might orbit a lifeless planet so who cares?

That's actually a good idea. Why haven't they thought of that yet?
Nah, Mars is great for when I wanna go riding in my Dune Buggy. Dumping all the plastics there would kill my fun.
Sending anything to Mars is hugely expensive and has a massive carbon footprint

we should send it to the Sun...

Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Nah, Mars is great for when I wanna go riding in my Dune Buggy. Dumping all the plastics there would kill my fun.

Yh we're thinking of just sending it off into space :rave:
Reply 9
Sounds like a bad idea.
Original post by Joinedup
Sending anything to Mars is hugely expensive and has a massive carbon footprint

we should send it to the Sun...

Yh but we will be free of plastic so :thumbsup:
Original post by HoldThisL
i don't have anything against mars so sending it to a different obscure part of space would suit me more

Yh just letting it all float away from here
Yh we're thinking of just sending it off into space :rave:

Just hurl it into the sun. Problem solved.
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Just hurl it into the sun. Problem solved.

Doesn't burning plastics release toxic gasses?
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Sounds like a bad idea.

Why's that?

If we go to the effort of collecting it we could just recycle it.

Doing this would be a complete waste of money, energy & intellectual resources. The problem is not the volume but where it ends up. We as humans need a more responsible waste management system.
Collecting all the plastic and sending it to space probably would be from a implementation standpoint hugely expensive, how many rockets would that require...you guys did notice how tiny the capsule holding the astronauts was....and that was already Falcon 9 Heavy lol.

You would probably need, oh idk 10,000,000 Rockets? Whose paying for that.
Reply 17
Why's that?

Well if we cant deal with it hear on earth, what makes you think that other planets will respond well to all the plastic waste?
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Collecting all the plastic and sending it to space probably would be from a implementation standpoint hugely expensive, how many rockets would that require...you guys did notice how tiny the capsule holding the astronauts was....and that was already Falcon 9 Heavy lol.

You would probably need, oh idk 10,000,000 Rockets? Whose paying for that.

We dont have to send it off all at once
Doesn't burning plastics release toxic gasses?

I don't know I'm not a scientist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending