The Student Room Group

Anyone else think Game of thrones characters are too young?

I recently started rewatching game of thrones from season 1 and something that struck me instantly is that literally every character that is supposed to be under the age of 25 looks way older than how old we are lead to believe they are. The prime culprits are the stark kids. I was quite bored the other day so just randomly wanted to know how old a lot of the characters are on the show and I was shocked that Rob stark is supposed to be 17 in season 1. As is Jon snow. Both of which are ridiculous. Rob stark looks at least 20. Probably 21 even 22. Jon snow looks a little younger and could probably get away with being 19 or maybe at a push 18. Although in truth he looks more like a 20 year old himself. Even sansa is aupposed to be 13 (I think) yet looks at least 15. Not gonna comment on the younger kids because it isnt very obvious how old younger children are. But probably the worst case is Daenerys. She is supposed to be 17 in season 1. She looks at least 21. Emilia clarke was 22 in season 1. In fact when you look at all of the actual actors'/actresses' ages they are all significantly older than their tv counterparts and are closer to the ages I gave. I mean the list really goes on from joffrey to theon greyjoy to lansell lanister (or however you spell that last one) but why is this? I dont have a problem with the actors at all, in fact I think they are all great and wouldnt change them. But what is with this insistence of giving the characters implausibly young ages? Instead what I believe should have been done is just age the characters up slightly. Being 18 myself I can see how unrealistic many if their ages are, maybe its not as noticeable to people of idfferent ages perhaps? Like think, have you ever seen a 17 year old ever look like some of these characters? No. And I know I have only given the characters ages of a few years older than what we are told they are but I think we can all agree that up to the age of 22/23 a matter of a few years is very significant. For example, there is a clear difference between what an 18 would like like and what a 21 year old looks like. Anyone else agree? In all honesty ever since I found this out it has taken away a sense of relativity from the show.
the ages the characters are supposed to be come from the book series. they obviously just casted people who fit well into the roles without making sure they were the exact same age as the real book character as that would make the process unnecessarily long probably
I didn’t pay much attention to it. The whole cast was so good and perfectly fit their roles that I didn’t care.
Reply 3
I thought they all did a good job :dontknow:
Original post by her0ndales
the ages the characters are supposed to be come from the book series. they obviously just casted people who fit well into the roles without making sure they were the exact same age as the real book character as that would make the process unnecessarily long probably

Incorrect. In the books, all of the chracters I mentioned are younger than in the show. Daenerys for example, is 13 in the books. I think Rob stark is about 14 or 15 in the books. All the others like jon snow and sansa stark are all also younger in the books than they are in the tv series. For the show all of these characters had to be aged up, for obvious reasons. (Sex scenes) and as a result most of them had to be essentially young adults for thr show and therefore they cast young adults to play these characters. But what I dont understand is, clearly the director has no reluctance in aging the characters up whoch makes sense, but if you are going to age the characters up, age them up to the right age at least.
Original post by Liluzihurt
I didn’t pay much attention to it. The whole cast was so good and perfectly fit their roles that I didn’t care.

I conpletely agree. I did say that all the actors play such a good role and I wouldnt change any of them, but that is besides the point. Im not criticising any of the actors, im criticising the producers who assigned ages to all of these characters that are too low.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
I thought they all did a good job :dontknow:

Um ok? Im not saying they didnt? Did you even read my post?
Reply 7
Original post by Dortmund fan
Um ok? Im not saying they didnt? Did you even read my post?

I meant that I really dont care about their ages. They did a great job playing the parts so it was easy to overlook the ages.
Reply 8
I recently started rewatching game of thrones from season 1 and something that struck me instantly is that literally every character that is supposed to be under the age of 25 looks way older than how old we are lead to believe they are. The prime culprits are the stark kids. I was quite bored the other day so just randomly wanted to know how old a lot of the characters are on the show and I was shocked that Rob stark is supposed to be 17 in season 1. As is Jon snow. Both of which are ridiculous. Rob stark looks at least 20. Probably 21 even 22. Jon snow looks a little younger and could probably get away with being 19 or maybe at a push 18. Although in truth he looks more like a 20 year old himself. Even sansa is aupposed to be 13 (I think) yet looks at least 15. Not gonna comment on the younger kids because it isnt very obvious how old younger children are. But probably the worst case is Daenerys. She is supposed to be 17 in season 1. She looks at least 21. Emilia clarke was 22 in season 1. In fact when you look at all of the actual actors'/actresses' ages they are all significantly older than their tv counterparts and are closer to the ages I gave. I mean the list really goes on from joffrey to theon greyjoy to lansell lanister (or however you spell that last one) but why is this? I dont have a problem with the actors at all, in fact I think they are all great and wouldnt change them. But what is with this insistence of giving the characters implausibly young ages? Instead what I believe should have been done is just age the characters up slightly. Being 18 myself I can see how unrealistic many if their ages are, maybe its not as noticeable to people of idfferent ages perhaps? Like think, have you ever seen a 17 year old ever look like some of these characters? No. And I know I have only given the characters ages of a few years older than what we are told they are but I think we can all agree that up to the age of 22/23 a matter of a few years is very significant. For example, there is a clear difference between what an 18 would like like and what a 21 year old looks like. Anyone else agree? In all honesty ever since I found this out it has taken away a sense of relativity from the show.

i see your point but i think if the show runners were too rigorous about it, they would have to include a sex scene with a 14 year old Dany and a 20 ish year old man (Drogo). Do you really wanna see that? Reading it in a book is one thing, but i doubt it would translate well on screen.

They wouldn't be able to show us nudity in some of the younger actors as that would be illegal if they're under 18. Though probably that's for the best considering GoT (the show) goes over the top with nudity as it is.

The difference in age gap with book vs show is annoying but you can easily overlook it. If you think about it, it's a small detail in the grand scheme of things.

if you're gonna point out things that take away relativity from the show, direct your attention to the later seasons and how badly they messed up the storylines for SO many different characters
Original post by Ziggy_
i see your point but i think if the show runners were too rigorous about it, they would have to include a sex scene with a 14 year old Dany and a 20 ish year old man (Drogo). Do you really wanna see that? Reading it in a book is one thing, but i doubt it would translate well on screen.

They wouldn't be able to show us nudity in some of the younger actors as that would be illegal if they're under 18. Though probably that's for the best considering GoT (the show) goes over the top with nudity as it is.

The difference in age gap with book vs show is annoying but you can easily overlook it. If you think about it, it's a small detail in the grand scheme of things.

if you're gonna point out things that take away relativity from the show, direct your attention to the later seasons and how badly they messed up the storylines for SO many different characters

So far im only on season 5 so that is a conversation fir another day. But you have missed my point ENTIRELY. You are insinuating that I believe they should have cast younger kids to play the characters like having an actual teenager to play daenerys etc. This is NOT the case. Like I said, I have absolutely no isse with the actors they used. I obviously do not want to see a 14 year old play daenerys because as you said thay would be illegal. Or a 17 year old for that matter. I merely think because they are using actors that are adults, why not just assign the charcaters in the show adult ages. For example, emilia clarke was 22 when she played daenerys in season 1. However, in season 1 daenerys is supposed to be 17. If they are gonna use emilia clarke to play daenerys why not just say saenerys is 22 in season 1? Or at least 20? 17 is just absurd. Do you know what im saying? Im not asking for the actors to be aged down im asking for the characters to be aged up to meet the age of their actors. Like it would be so easy for the writers to just say daenerys is 20 or something. Yet they have gone with 17. The writers have specifically chosen the age 17 which is when you think about it ridiculous as no 17 year old looks like her. I uss daenerys because she is probably the worst example but the exact same goes for jon snow and robb stark who are also 17 in season 1 but their actors were in their 20s. Why, when the writers are deciding how old each charcaters is have they said, "hmmmmm lets say robb stark jon snow and daenerys are all 17" despite the fact that they all look way older than 17 and are being played by people who are way older than 17. Now do you see what Im saying? Like i get its really not that big a deal but you were missing my point before.
Reply 10
In the books Dany was married and raped at 13. You cannot use someone this age to convey these scenes. I guess this theory can be used with the other characters due to the violent scenarios. It is more ethical to use older actors and upping the age boundaries would make the tv series go over better for audiences.
Reply 11
So far im only on season 5 so that is a conversation fir another day. But you have missed my point ENTIRELY. You are insinuating that I believe they should have cast younger kids to play the characters like having an actual teenager to play daenerys etc. This is NOT the case. Like I said, I have absolutely no isse with the actors they used. I obviously do not want to see a 14 year old play daenerys because as you said thay would be illegal. Or a 17 year old for that matter. I merely think because they are using actors that are adults, why not just assign the charcaters in the show adult ages. For example, emilia clarke was 22 when she played daenerys in season 1. However, in season 1 daenerys is supposed to be 17. If they are gonna use emilia clarke to play daenerys why not just say saenerys is 22 in season 1? Or at least 20? 17 is just absurd. Do you know what im saying? Im not asking for the actors to be aged down im asking for the characters to be aged up to meet the age of their actors. Like it would be so easy for the writers to just say daenerys is 20 or something. Yet they have gone with 17. The writers have specifically chosen the age 17 which is when you think about it ridiculous as no 17 year old looks like her. I uss daenerys because she is probably the worst example but the exact same goes for jon snow and robb stark who are also 17 in season 1 but their actors were in their 20s. Why, when the writers are deciding how old each charcaters is have they said, "hmmmmm lets say robb stark jon snow and daenerys are all 17" despite the fact that they all look way older than 17 and are being played by people who are way older than 17. Now do you see what Im saying? Like i get its really not that big a deal but you were missing my point before.

Because ageing them up a few years works well enough but things become very different if someone is almost a decade older than their book counterpart. The key thing is that these are young people in horrible situations.

This really isn’t a big deal, actors are often cast a few years older than their characters. The Tobey Maguire as Spiderman is an example that always comes to my mind as casting that was too far off, the age really takes me out of it and I can only see him as a mid 20s guy that can’t handle a balance instead of a 18/19 year old starting life with great responsibility. GoT doesn’t have this problem for me they aren’t that far off that it is really bothersome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending