The Student Room Group

Ive started learning German... little help plz

So I’ve started learning German on Duolingo and so far I k some phrases... and basic words. Now I’m leaning like conjugation and I’m getting the hang of it. On duolingo there is also a tips section and I want help in understanding what is meant

So I’ll send screenshots

Thanks for the help, and explain clearly plz
Reply 1
BF04AF46-761F-4BD2-A88C-8814391F0F61.jpg.jpeg
Reply 2
678B6926-5DFD-4EC3-852D-F3EFDD91ACB0.jpg.jpeg
Reply 3
Like way is the difference
Einen Apfel and ein Apfel?
Original post by Monsur x

its the way the article relates to its noun, so the "case." in German there are four. so if you say ein Apfel ist rot, (an apple is red,) the apple is the subject as it performs the verb, so it takes nominative case. if you say ich esse einen Apfel, the apple is the direct object, as the verb is being done to the apple. this means you use accusative case, so einen. Apfel is masculine, which is the only gender that changes in accusative case.

Ein Apfel is when it is the subject, or first part of the sentence like- Ein Apfel ist lecker (an apple is tasty). Einen Apfel is when it the the object, or second noun in the sentence and generally is having something done to it like Ich esse einen Apfel (I am eating an apple). This applies to all masculine nouns e.g Ein Mann trinkt Bier (a man is drinking beer) and Der Löwe frisst einen Mann (the lion is eating the man). Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by peterbradley45
its the way the article relates to its noun, so the "case." in German there are four. so if you say ein Apfel ist rot, (an apple is red,) the apple is the subject as it performs the verb, so it takes nominative case. if you say ich esse einen Apfel, the apple is the direct object, as the verb is being done to the apple. this means you use accusative case, so einen. Apfel is masculine, which is the only gender that changes in accusative case.

Omggg thanks!! Make so much sense! On Duolingo I’m learning the accusative case first but thanks for giving an example of another one! Also, Apfel is masculine right? So can u use an example using accusative case but with a feminine object? Thanks oh and also neutral and plural
Reply 7
Original post by musicalrose
Ein Apfel is when it is the subject, or first part of the sentence like- Ein Apfel ist lecker (an apple is tasty). Einen Apfel is when it the the object, or second noun in the sentence and generally is having something done to it like Ich esse einen Apfel (I am eating an apple). This applies to all masculine nouns e.g Ein Mann trinkt Bier (a man is drinking beer) and Der Löwe frisst einen Mann (the lion is eating the man). Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks.!!!
Omggg thanks!! Make so much sense! On Duolingo I’m learning the accusative case first but thanks for giving an example of another one! Also, Apfel is masculine right? So can u use an example using accusative case but with a feminine object? Thanks oh and also neutral and plural

no problem! in accusative case masculine is the only article that changes, from der, die, das, die in nominative, to den, die, das, die in accusative.

You usually learn the nominative first, because that's the case used to state facts and ask questions. In other words the case you use the majority of the time.
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
You usually learn the nominative first, because that's the case used to state facts and ask questions. In other words the case you use the majority of the time.

Oh ok I’ll look into that then!
Reply 11
Original post by peterbradley45
no problem! in accusative case masculine is the only article that changes, from der, die, das, die in nominative, to den, die, das, die in accusative.

Sorry umm I didn’t get that....
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
E5BF309A-21BD-400B-8778-17875093C972.jpg.jpeg

Ok can you explain this please?

I will try first....
So the book is the direct object so you use accusative case. And book is a neutral noun? So u use ein??
german2.png
maybe this diagram might help :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by musicalrose
german2.png
maybe this diagram might help :smile:

Thanks u!
Reply 15
Attachment not found

Is this because Milch is feminine??
Also how do u pronounce it.... like Milsh with a sh at the end?? Or Meelsh so stretching the i bit

Attachment not found

Is this because Buch is a neutral noun???
Also how do u pronounce it??? Like Bookh? So with a kh and also stretching of the u
Attachment not found

Is this because Milch is feminine??
Also how do u pronounce it.... like Milsh with a sh at the end?? Or Meelsh so stretching the i bit

Attachment not found

Is this because Buch is a neutral noun???
Also how do u pronounce it??? Like Bookh? So with a kh and also stretching of the u

Milch is feminine so it would be "die" nominative, "die" accusative. Buch is neuter so "das" nominative, "das" accusative. Only masculine nouns change from the nominative to the accusative ("der" to "den")

And yep, your descriptions are pretty spot on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending