The Student Room Group

Revision - When and how to revise a topic ?

Can anyone help me - this is something i can't seem to get an answer for.
I am about a year away from my GCSE's and revision is slowly becoming more important. However, when do i revise what?, I have nine subjects and all of them have almost a hundred topics - so what do i do ? Should I just begin revising each subjects first topic on the topic list, and then work my way through till the end ?
How to I get started with a plan on what topics to revise for my subjects when. With little assessments its easy because they have less topics to revise - But because i have around 100 for each of my nine subjects, i'm stuck ?
Also, How should I go about revising a topic, should I go straight in with a past paper on it - or something else ? There are so many good ways to revise i don't quite know what i should use when beginning a topic.

Please can anyone give me their advise ?
everytime we finished a topic for one my subjects i would make resource for it for the end of unit tests we normally did. then the revision is more spread out and for my actual GCSES i already had revision made
Reply 2
Thanks, this is a good idea, though sadly I have nearly covered most of my topics so I can't do this - though I wish I did. Let's say that I've finished learning everything and I'm now just going back over everything. How do I do that? there is so much I just don't know where to start
Original post by Lollipop05
Thanks, this is a good idea, though sadly I have nearly covered most of my topics so I can't do this - though I wish I did. Let's say that I've finished learning everything and I'm now just going back over everything. How do I do that? there is so much I just don't know where to start

oh okay, well in that case i would start with the topics i’m least confident in, try and mix up your subjects it will help you to cover more areas
First try and create a revision time table, ensuring that you have included breaks and that you are not over working yourself. Also make sure that you are prioritising the subjects that you struggle with. People often find that they spend more time revising the subjects they enjoy as oppose to the subjects they need help with. As for ways to revise, try a few different techniques to see what works best for you. Some people prefer answering past papers whereas others prefer flashcards and mind maps. For science, I would definitely recommend freesciencelessons as even though he may not be the most interesting person, his videos are very useful and include everything you need. For humanities, BBC bitesize is also very useful. There is also a website called seneca that is useful. Quizlet is also helpful for creating flashcards and you can also find sets of flashcards that other people have made if you don't want to go through the effort of making them yourself. All you have to do is sign up for a free account and then type in the course you want to study and it will come up with the course that is full of information and also revision tasks. As for what to revise for each topic, maybe ask your teacher for the spec or go through a revision guide to look at the topics and create a list with the topics at the top that you struggle with and the topics at the bottom that you understand more so then you can work more on the topics at the top of list.
Reply 5
Original post by charleeholland
oh okay, well in that case i would start with the topics i’m least confident in, try and mix up your subjects it will help you to cover more areas

Thanks for the help
Can anyone help me - this is something i can't seem to get an answer for.
I am about a year away from my GCSE's and revision is slowly becoming more important. However, when do i revise what?, I have nine subjects and all of them have almost a hundred topics - so what do i do ? Should I just begin revising each subjects first topic on the topic list, and then work my way through till the end ?
How to I get started with a plan on what topics to revise for my subjects when. With little assessments its easy because they have less topics to revise - But because i have around 100 for each of my nine subjects, i'm stuck ?
Also, How should I go about revising a topic, should I go straight in with a past paper on it - or something else ? There are so many good ways to revise i don't quite know what i should use when beginning a topic.

Please can anyone give me their advise ?

just focus on topics that you don't understand really well.
Reply 7
Original post by SineadH0312
First try and create a revision time table, ensuring that you have included breaks and that you are not over working yourself. Also make sure that you are prioritising the subjects that you struggle with. People often find that they spend more time revising the subjects they enjoy as oppose to the subjects they need help with. As for ways to revise, try a few different techniques to see what works best for you. Some people prefer answering past papers whereas others prefer flashcards and mind maps. For science, I would definitely recommend freesciencelessons as even though he may not be the most interesting person, his videos are very useful and include everything you need. For humanities, BBC bitesize is also very useful. There is also a website called seneca that is useful. Quizlet is also helpful for creating flashcards and you can also find sets of flashcards that other people have made if you don't want to go through the effort of making them yourself. All you have to do is sign up for a free account and then type in the course you want to study and it will come up with the course that is full of information and also revision tasks. As for what to revise for each topic, maybe ask your teacher for the spec or go through a revision guide to look at the topics and create a list with the topics at the top that you struggle with and the topics at the bottom that you understand more so then you can work more on the topics at the top of list.

Thank you - I always have experience using Quizlet and Seneca and find them very useful. When making a revision timetable, should I make it for the following week, month, or longer than that - I could do it alternating weeks so I do different subjects each week, and then do a different topic each time a do that lesson. Or should I mix it up more?
Reply 8
Original post by Sovaia Raiyawa
just focus on topics that you don't understand really well.

Thanks
Thank you - I always have experience using Quizlet and Seneca and find them very useful. When making a revision timetable, should I make it for the following week, month, or longer than that - I could do it alternating weeks so I do different subjects each week, and then do a different topic each time a do that lesson. Or should I mix it up more?

It's really up to you, what suits you best? Which one are you most likely to stick to?

Unfortunately revision techniques are a very personal thing, you need to figure out which way you revise best, so when you get to alevel you can 'hit the ground running' with your revision

Whatever works best for you. I wouldn't make a plan that is a month long in case you need to make any adjustments and it could mess the whole month up. Perhaps each Sunday evening or Monday morning, decide where you feel you need to work on and then plan a timetable for that week according to that because if you made a month long plan you may find that when it comes to one revisions slot, you may need it for something else. That's my personal preference, however it may be different for you.
Thanks

welcome

Quick Reply

Latest