The Student Room Group

I need help finding a path

Hi, so I graduated from uni two years ago this summer and I’m feeling pretty low about my life right now. I got a first in my history degree and felt like I left uni with a lot of positivity but that’s long gone now. In the two years since graduating I’ve been stuck in a junior paralegal job, my initial thinking was that I could try it out for 6-12 months and see if I want to do the GDL with a view of getting a training contract but I’ve hated it, constantly stressed, working long hours fairly often (unpaid) and struggling to sleep at night despite doing relatively mundane tasks.

I know I want to leave this job but still have no idea what I want to do in life and I’m nearly 25 now. I have wanted to leave for about a year now but can’t leave this until I find something else. My uni careers service offered me no real support other than “look on prospects”. To be honest, it’s maybe a bit unwise completely ruling out law but I’ve had such a miserable experience I feel I need a fresh start.

Jobs in the heritage sector seem so difficult to find and I keep applying for all sorts of graduate schemes (Banking, Acturial, Finance, Commercial) with no real idea if I even want them, I guess my thinking was that if I manage to get on one then I could work from there which I know is kind of stupid. I’ve considered publishing but there aren’t a lot of jobs there either.

Sorry for a bit of a long winded vent but was just wondering if anyone had any kind of advice. All I keep hearing about is how successful people I went to school or uni with are doing and I just feel pretty low, I feel that I have qualifications to do a good job just no idea how to get one!
Hello I would first look or try and think of the sectors you really want to work in. I did a history degree and have gone onto further study, but history gives you so many transferable skills and knowledge that can be applied to many sectors.
I would pick five interesting career paths to begin with (I know they have said look on prospects but that is because it tells you how to get into these paths if you find one)
What are you really interested in?
with history you could become a teacher, work in the non profit sector, non governmental organisations but also MI5 and the civil service fast stream have lots of graduate schemes in different areas.
Original post by The Monk
Hi, so I graduated from uni two years ago this summer and I’m feeling pretty low about my life right now. I got a first in my history degree and felt like I left uni with a lot of positivity but that’s long gone now. In the two years since graduating I’ve been stuck in a junior paralegal job, my initial thinking was that I could try it out for 6-12 months and see if I want to do the GDL with a view of getting a training contract but I’ve hated it, constantly stressed, working long hours fairly often (unpaid) and struggling to sleep at night despite doing relatively mundane tasks.

I know I want to leave this job but still have no idea what I want to do in life and I’m nearly 25 now. I have wanted to leave for about a year now but can’t leave this until I find something else. My uni careers service offered me no real support other than “look on prospects”. To be honest, it’s maybe a bit unwise completely ruling out law but I’ve had such a miserable experience I feel I need a fresh start.

Jobs in the heritage sector seem so difficult to find and I keep applying for all sorts of graduate schemes (Banking, Acturial, Finance, Commercial) with no real idea if I even want them, I guess my thinking was that if I manage to get on one then I could work from there which I know is kind of stupid. I’ve considered publishing but there aren’t a lot of jobs there either.

Sorry for a bit of a long winded vent but was just wondering if anyone had any kind of advice. All I keep hearing about is how successful people I went to school or uni with are doing and I just feel pretty low, I feel that I have qualifications to do a good job just no idea how to get one!

25 is still very young- it's fine not to have figured out what you want to do.

I agree that civil service jobs would be worth a look (and likely secure jobs in the current environment). You could also consider looking at local government jobs too?

Have you thought about taking things in a different direction and looking at jobs like social work/teaching? Or something like HR?

Maybe consider applying for non-grad scheme jobs in sectors you are interested in? You don't have to do a grad scheme to progress your career.
Reply 3
Thanks! I have actually applied for both the finance and commercial schemes recently, the latter I was unsuccessful with and the second is ongoing. I have noticed that they do a generalist graduate scheme however I was a bit too late in applying last year but will definitely look into trying that this time round as that looks perfect for what I want being able to try out several departments.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
25 is still very young- it's fine not to have figured out what you want to do.

I agree that civil service jobs would be worth a look (and likely secure jobs in the current environment). You could also consider looking at local government jobs too?

Have you thought about taking things in a different direction and looking at jobs like social work/teaching? Or something like HR?

Maybe consider applying for non-grad scheme jobs in sectors you are interested in? You don't have to do a grad scheme to progress your career.

I have definitely considered teaching as I do quite like figuring things out and explaining to others, I find in work even though I’m just a junior a lot of people in the department come to me to go through how to solve technology based problems. However, I have really bad social anxiety and whilst I think I would be okay in a 1-1 scenario I don’t think I could cope with the public speaking aspect or be able to control a classroom.

In terms of non-grad schemes, I have looked at a few roles which have come up in publishing/editing that sounded interesting as a way to get my foot in the door and start there but they seem pretty hard to come by. To be honest I see so many people getting jobs that I have no idea how they found. I mostly search by indeed, LinkedIn, Prospects, or by going on to websites of specific employers but not many results seem to come up.
Original post by The Monk
I have definitely considered teaching as I do quite like figuring things out and explaining to others, I find in work even though I’m just a junior a lot of people in the department come to me to go through how to solve technology based problems. However, I have really bad social anxiety and whilst I think I would be okay in a 1-1 scenario I don’t think I could cope with the public speaking aspect or be able to control a classroom.

In terms of non-grad schemes, I have looked at a few roles which have come up in publishing/editing that sounded interesting as a way to get my foot in the door and start there but they seem pretty hard to come by. To be honest I see so many people getting jobs that I have no idea how they found. I mostly search by indeed, LinkedIn, Prospects, or by going on to websites of specific employers but not many results seem to come up.

Have you considered working with a recruiter? In some industries, this is the main way people get hired. Alternatively, if these are people you know, then it might be worth asking them how they found the role.

Fair enough if teaching isn't for you- it's not for everyone. Publishing/editing is a tricky one to get into- but if it's something you're interested in, then do keep applying as roles come up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending