The Student Room Group

Dance At University

Hi, I’m looking to do dance at university with hopes being able to work on a cruise ship afterwards and then possibly becoming both a secondary dance school teacher and to eventually open my own dance school.

Does anyone have any recommendation for courses/universities. So far I have Edge Hill, De Montford and Lincoln.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bryonymcn
Hi, I’m looking to do dance at university with hopes being able to work on a cruise ship afterwards and then possibly becoming both a secondary dance school teacher and to eventually open my own dance school.

Does anyone have any recommendation for courses/universities. So far I have Edge Hill, De Montford and Lincoln.

Hi @Bryonymcn

Great news about your intentions and career goals - sounds really exciting! I just wanted to drop you a message to ensure if you have any questions about this course at Lincoln you can have them answered! We run a weekly Live Link up on Thursdays between 2pm - 4pm. Here you can put your questions to admissions, accommodation and other key staff around the university on many aspects of the course and life at Lincoln. I have provided a link below.

www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/linkup/

Alternatively you can email us on [email protected]

Drama and Dance at Lincoln is ranked 22nd in the Guardian University Guide 2020 and more information on the course as well as modules can be found here: www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/dandanub/

I hope this information is useful and wish you all the best with your research and application

Lewis :smile:
Reply 2
That’s amazing thank you so much! Lincoln is my favourite course so far with its links to the IDTA teaching course. I’ll be sure to check out the link tomorrow between those times. Thanks again, Bryony!
Reply 3

Hi my names Amber and I am taking dance at Lincoln university to start in 2020, I also looked a EdgeHill, De Montford, Derby, and Gloucestershire but Lincoln was by far my favourite when I went to the audition! I am also interested in cruise ship dancing and teaching :smile:. Would you be starting to university in 2020 or 2021 ?
Reply 4
Original post by RobbinsA
Hi my names Amber and I am taking dance at Lincoln university to start in 2020, I also looked a EdgeHill, De Montford, Derby, and Gloucestershire but Lincoln was by far my favourite when I went to the audition! I am also interested in cruise ship dancing and teaching :smile:. Would you be starting to university in 2020 or 2021 ?

This is great! Lincoln seems like my favourite so far, would you mind telling me what the audition process was like for there/for any other unis you did? It’s great that you seem to want to do the same things as me as well! I’m hoping to start in 2021 x
Reply 5
This is great! Lincoln seems like my favourite so far, would you mind telling me what the audition process was like for there/for any other unis you did? It’s great that you seem to want to do the same things as me as well! I’m hoping to start in 2021 x

That’s good then! The audition processes are all quite similar as you tend to do a contemporary technique class. At Lincoln we did a bit of travelling work and then was taught a short section of dance to perform in smaller groups, also explored some constant work etc. Lincoln and Gloucestershire was my top 2 choices, but I decided to go for Lincoln as it had the all round package. As I thought the dance was challenging and enjoyable, the teachers seem lovely, the dance students that are already there was very helpful and kind, the accommodation are really nice and the campus is great as it is in the middle of the city so everything is so close. However Gloucestershire’s campus let it down in my opinion.
The only audition process that is slightly different was Gloucestershire as we had to prepare a solo before beforehand, then once we got there we did a Jazz and Contemporary technique class, then was given a specific time to come back and perform our solo in front of 2 teachers.
All of the auditions that I went to we had a interview. De montford, Gloucestershire and Derby was a 1 on 1 interview however EdgeHill and Lincoln was a small group interview. The interviews are fine they are nothing to worry about they just ask a few questions.
The auditions for me was very important to go to because you get a feel for the place and what the course is going to be like. After all the open days I had a order in mind of my favourites however when I went to the auditions the order completely changed!
If you need anything else answering ask away :smile: x
(edited 3 years ago)
That’s good then! The audition processes are all quite similar as you tend to do a contemporary technique class. At Lincoln we did a bit of travelling work and then was taught a short section of dance to perform in smaller groups, also explored some constant work etc. Lincoln and Gloucestershire was my top 2 choices, but I decided to go for Lincoln as it had the all round package. As I thought the dance was challenging and enjoyable, the teachers seem lovely, the dance students that are already there was very helpful and kind, the accommodation are really nice and the campus is great as it is in the middle of the city so everything is so close. However Gloucestershire’s campus let it down in my opinion.
The only audition process that is slightly different was Gloucestershire as we had to prepare a solo before beforehand, then once we got there we did a Jazz and Contemporary technique class, then was given a specific time to come back and perform our solo in front of 2 teachers.
All of the auditions that I went to we had a interview. De montford, Gloucestershire and Derby was a 1 on 1 interview however EdgeHill and Lincoln was a small group interview. The interviews are fine they are nothing to worry about they just ask a few questions.
The auditions for me was very important to go to because you get a feel for the place and what the course is going to be like. After all the open days I had a order in mind of my favourites however when I went to the auditions the order completely changed!

Hello Amber and @Bryonymcn

I just wanted to let you know we are launching Unibuddy on our website within the next week - it will be perfect for both applicants and prospective students as you will get to chat with current University of Lincoln students. They can talk about their experiences, accommodation, the city, general student life and more. Thought this may be something you may find useful! To access it, all you will need to do is pop on to our website and search for it.

Hope that helps! Lewis :smile:
Reply 7

That sounds amazing as i’ve done a lot of contemporary in the past and at the moment! Lincoln sounds like such a good campus as well, I decided I do prefer campuses with everything close by like the town etc. Do you mind me asking you about the dance audition for edge hill? I hadn’t thought about Gloucestershire but I’ll definitely look into it, thank you so so much!
Reply 8
Original post by University of Lincoln
Hello Amber and @Bryonymcn

I just wanted to let you know we are launching Unibuddy on our website within the next week - it will be perfect for both applicants and prospective students as you will get to chat with current University of Lincoln students. They can talk about their experiences, accommodation, the city, general student life and more. Thought this may be something you may find useful! To access it, all you will need to do is pop on to our website and search for it.

Hope that helps! Lewis :smile:

This is amazing, I’ll definitely be using that, and thanks for the live q and a recommendation, it was really helpful!
You may want to look at dance conservatoires as well, although the only one I know of is Trinity Laban.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
You may want to look at dance conservatoires as well, although the only one I know of is Trinity Laban.

Thank you! I’ve looked at them but the only course I like is at NSCD but it’s also extremely hard to get in so I’m worried about not getting a place and wasting one of my UCAS choices!
That sounds amazing as i’ve done a lot of contemporary in the past and at the moment! Lincoln sounds like such a good campus as well, I decided I do prefer campuses with everything close by like the town etc. Do you mind me asking you about the dance audition for edge hill? I hadn’t thought about Gloucestershire but I’ll definitely look into it, thank you so so much!

No problem. And yeah of course, when I first went to Edgehill on the open day I loved it. I thought the campus was great and the dance sounded good. However when I went for the audition it just didn’t suit me. We did contemporary technique class and also some corner work as well, but I just didn’t get the feel for it or could imagine myself being there, so it went from my favourite to my least favourite. But that’s just my opinion you might love it X

Hi Bryony,

It sounds like you have been doing lots of research so far. To help you choose the course and university which is right for you, I would recommend taking advantage of some of the virtual activities universities are currently offering. Lots of universities are offering virtual sessions, including subject specific sessions and many have also adapted their Open Days to virtual events. Both of these activities will help you to get a detailed insight into the course structure and facilities at different universities. Open Days will also allow you to ask questions to academics and in many cases current students, which hopefully will help you to decide where would be best for you!

Alternatively many universities have facilities either on their websites, or through UCAS Hub, which allow you to chat to current students and ask them questions about their courses and universities.

You might like to watch our 'Introduction to Performing Arts' virtual session, which covers things you may like to consider when choosing courses in this subject area. You can visit our Virtual Outreach wepages to find out more information about this session.

To find out more about our Dance course at Edge Hill, feel free to book on to our virtual Open Day, taking place from 15th-19th June, or get in touch with our Course Enquiries team with any questions you may have.

Other universities will also have similar teams you get in touch with about specific course questions listed on their website and should also have details of virtual Open Days on their webpages too.

Hope that helps!
Becky
Reply 13
No problem. And yeah of course, when I first went to Edgehill on the open day I loved it. I thought the campus was great and the dance sounded good. However when I went for the audition it just didn’t suit me. We did contemporary technique class and also some corner work as well, but I just didn’t get the feel for it or could imagine myself being there, so it went from my favourite to my least favourite. But that’s just my opinion you might love it X

Amazing stuff, thank you! Do you mind me asking advice on prepping for the auditions and what to wear? Also do you know if I’d have to take piercings out? Sorry for so many questions, but you’ve been a great help!
Reply 14
Original post by Edge Hill University Outreach
Hi Bryony,

It sounds like you have been doing lots of research so far. To help you choose the course and university which is right for you, I would recommend taking advantage of some of the virtual activities universities are currently offering. Lots of universities are offering virtual sessions, including subject specific sessions and many have also adapted their Open Days to virtual events. Both of these activities will help you to get a detailed insight into the course structure and facilities at different universities. Open Days will also allow you to ask questions to academics and in many cases current students, which hopefully will help you to decide where would be best for you!

Alternatively many universities have facilities either on their websites, or through UCAS Hub, which allow you to chat to current students and ask them questions about their courses and universities.

You might like to watch our 'Introduction to Performing Arts' virtual session, which covers things you may like to consider when choosing courses in this subject area. You can visit our Virtual Outreach wepages to find out more information about this session.

To find out more about our Dance course at Edge Hill, feel free to book on to our virtual Open Day, taking place from 15th-19th June, or get in touch with our Course Enquiries team with any questions you may have.

Other universities will also have similar teams you get in touch with about specific course questions listed on their website and should also have details of virtual Open Days on their webpages too.

Hope that helps!
Becky

Great thank you! I’m already signed up to your open day and recently watched your introduction to edge hill! Also do you know when dance auditions would typically be held?
Amazing stuff, thank you! Do you mind me asking advice on prepping for the auditions and what to wear? Also do you know if I’d have to take piercings out? Sorry for so many questions, but you’ve been a great help!

I think unis like you to wear tighter clothes, so I wore a leotard and footless tights, but the uni will let you know what they expect you to where when you apply. Also i don’t know I’m not sure I don’t have any piercings but I’m guessing you would have to take them out x
Great thank you! I’m already signed up to your open day and recently watched your introduction to edge hill! Also do you know when dance auditions would typically be held?

Hi Bryony,

We'll look forward to you attending our virtual Open Day then and hope you found the Introduction to Edge Hill virtual session useful!

The timing of the Dance auditions may vary slightly year on year, but they usually take place around Feb-March time.

Good luck with your future studies!
Becky
Reply 17
I think unis like you to wear tighter clothes, so I wore a leotard and footless tights, but the uni will let you know what they expect you to where when you apply. Also i don’t know I’m not sure I don’t have any piercings but I’m guessing you would have to take them out x

Thank you so much for everything! You’ve been such a help!!

LIPA (Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts), where my dance teacher's from :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by CityofMud
LIPA (Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts), where my dance teacher's from :smile:

Thank you! However I’m too scared to audition at LIPA due to the extremely high calibre!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending