The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

You don’t need a straight pride. Stop saying this homophobic nonsense.

So, it seems a lot of straight people think they deserve straight pride for some bizarre reason. You are the majority in society. Your sexuality is considered normal and you will never be arrested for being straight in any country. The only reason why you are saying this is because you see other sexualities as a threat. Straight pride is basically homophobes trying to justify their homophobia.

Scroll to see replies

I can predict how this thread is going to go but I agree with you.
True. I mean we don’t really need an LGBT pride either, a simple anniversary of the Stonewall Riots would probably be enough IMO. I think the reason a lot of straight people wish for a straight pride is because they feel like pride is just for gay people. There’s the idea that it separates groups of society and that’s never a good thing.
Original post by BuckHowls
So, it seems a lot of straight people think they deserve straight pride for some bizarre reason. You are the majority in society. Your sexuality is considered normal and you will never be arrested for being straight in any country. The only reason why you are saying this is because you see other sexualities as a threat. Straight pride is basically homophobes trying to justify their homophobia.

PRSOM
Original post by Joe Frazier
True. I mean we don’t really need an LGBT pride either, a simple anniversary of the Stonewall Riots would probably be enough IMO. I think the reason a lot of straight people wish for a straight pride is because they feel like pride is just for gay people. There’s the idea that it separates groups of society and that’s never a good thing.

Ma gawd Joe Frazier is still alive.
#aLL LIVeS MaTteR
Oh no this thread is about to get swarmed with homophobia
Reply 7
It's called homophobia by stealth

Cant they just join in normal pride? :confused:

Straight people are the majority, but heterophobia does exist. Though it is less often than homophobia. Straight prides are unnecessary, but I think everyone should be respected for who they are.
It’s very immature and demonstrates a lack of insight.
TBH I always felt people who genuinely pined for a straight pride day were on the same level of minority at flat earthers.
Reply 12

Some of my gay friends tell me they are embarrassed that gay pride is being promoted too much and in their words "is being forced down people's throats". They just want to get on with life. They don't like the blatant sexuality put around by some gays. Like the ones that walk around around in the bondage clothing.

I think people just say they want straight pride so that gays will stop advertising themselves.
I’m straight and I agree it’s dumb 😂 it’s like when it’s black history month and there’s always some white person asking for a white history month
This issue can be summarised as the following:
x3ox1bsddc431.png

Original post by Serenity-M
Cant they just join in normal pride? :confused:

They can indeed :smile: my parent is straight and comes with me every year to pride and probably enjoys it even more than i do in their rainbow flag. Straight people are more than welcome at pride providing they support us and dont try to monopolies it.
Reply 15

Well thats not true now is it.
And this is just weird.
Original post by angelike1
#aLL LIVeS MaTteR

same energy honestly
Original post by CoolCavy
This issue can be summarised as the following:
x3ox1bsddc431.png

They can indeed :smile: my parent is straight and comes with me every year to pride and probably enjoys it even more than i do in their rainbow flag. Straight people are more than welcome at pride providing they support us and dont try to monopolies it.

PRSOM
Original post by nutz99
Some of my gay friends tell me they are embarrassed that gay pride is being promoted too much and in their words "is being forced down people's throats". They just want to get on with life. They don't like the blatant sexuality put around by some gays. Like the ones that walk around around in the bondage clothing.

I think people just say they want straight pride so that gays will stop advertising themselves.

Yes, exactly.

Pride has, for some unknown reason, become something that has the complete opposite effect to its intention. Instead of making people feel like they fit in, all the rainbows, dressing up etc. just emphasise how different *some* gay people are. Which then leads gay people growing up to feel ashamed/depressed/in-denial because they assume all gay people should act that way. It just feeds the stereotype. So it’s actually quite damaging.

And yes, some ignorant straight people then do end up wanting their own pride because they don’t relate to gay pride at all. It’s a complete mess. The Stonewall Riots made sense, there was a clear aim. However, the current Pride events seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent, to say the least :/
(edited 3 years ago)

I agree with you.

Latest

Trending

Trending