The Student Room Group

Personal statement when applying for different courses

hi, so i’m thinking of applying for criminology, criminology and psychology (joint honours), and criminology with forensic studies courses.

they are subjects that do relate and link together but i’m not quite sure how to structure it?

i would appreciate any help, thanks!
Well, make sure your personal statement doesn't feel fragmented. First, I would tell you to look into every single one of the areas and ask yourself: what's common between them? For me is they're all related to crime but in different ways! When they ask for PS, they want to hear your story. So I would say, start off by explaining why you are interested in crime? What aspects of crime intrigue you and why? And don't just bullet point the reasons, actually tell a story. I didn't have a chance to write a PS for my forensic science and criminal investigation course, but I knew how I wanted to tell my story. There's always a reason, a moment that clicks in you that you really like these subjects. That's what the first part of the PS should be focused on.
Then, you should talk about transferable skills that you have - such as teamwork, communication skills, critical thinking, etc - that are essential for any profession related to crime. You should recognize the skills, how you've acquired them and why they are important for these subjects. Give examples!
To finish off, just make sure your passion really shines.
Reply 2
ah okay thank you so much! so would i just begin the statement about why i want to study those courses and link in parts of psychology and forensic within or?
Original post by claraalmeidab1
Well, make sure your personal statement doesn't feel fragmented. First, I would tell you to look into every single one of the areas and ask yourself: what's common between them? For me is they're all related to crime but in different ways! When they ask for PS, they want to hear your story. So I would say, start off by explaining why you are interested in crime? What aspects of crime intrigue you and why? And don't just bullet point the reasons, actually tell a story. I didn't have a chance to write a PS for my forensic science and criminal investigation course, but I knew how I wanted to tell my story. There's always a reason, a moment that clicks in you that you really like these subjects. That's what the first part of the PS should be focused on.
Then, you should talk about transferable skills that you have - such as teamwork, communication skills, critical thinking, etc - that are essential for any profession related to crime. You should recognize the skills, how you've acquired them and why they are important for these subjects. Give examples!
To finish off, just make sure your passion really shines.
Original post by birights
ah okay thank you so much! so would i just begin the statement about why i want to study those courses and link in parts of psychology and forensic within or?

Contact each university and ask if you would be ok applying with a straight criminology PS for their combined course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending