The Student Room Group

Starmer-most competent opposition leader since Blair?

Thoughts? I certainly think so

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TJ1997

He is good yes, although whatever you thought of Cameron as a PM he was also a very good opposition leader so I would say since Cameron.
Reply 2
Define competent? Brown was certainly competent if not overly popular.
Original post by TJ1997

I like him, yes. The dry, forensic and legalistic approach certainly works in cutting through Boris' comedy act of bluster and vagueness, particularly at the moment where this terrible government needs holding to account. It's not going to work long-term though, and we need a bit more bloodthirstiness from him. It was nice to see a hint of that yesterday.

All in all, I think it's a very promising start. Finally this government might have to accept that it doesn't exist as some autocratic executive, and can't just act like it's above scrutiny and criticism.
At least unlike Jeremy Corbyn he is an opposition leader in more than name.

We will find out better once the pandemic is over.
Reply 5
Original post by Napp

Brown was never Leader of the Opposition
Reply 6
Original post by ColinDent
He is good yes, although whatever you thought of Cameron as a PM he was also a very good opposition leader so I would say since Cameron.

Forgot about Cameron for some reason, but agreed
Original post by Reality Check
I like him, yes. The dry, forensic and legalistic approach certainly works in cutting through Boris' comedy act of bluster and vagueness, particularly at the moment where this terrible government needs holding to account. It's not going to work long-term though, and we need a bit more bloodthirstiness from him. It was nice to see a hint of that yesterday.

All in all, I think it's a very promising start. Finally this government might have to accept that it doesn't exist as some autocratic executive, and can't just act like it's above scrutiny and criticism.

Could not have said this better myself 👏🏼
Original post by Napp

Brown was never LotO
Reply 9

At Prime Minister's Questions he definitely holds his own against Boris and you can see the latter on the ropes for most of the exchanges. Yesterday he waffled through most of it and even managed to attack Starmer for doing his job; holding the government to account where necessary.

I reckon we will see less consensus and more bloodthirstiness as time goes on where more issues arising from the economic effects of coronavirus will become apparent.

Absolutely, its impressive to have faith in the opposite side once again. I'm more inclined towards the Tories (used to be Lab before Corbyn) but am seriously considering rejoining Labour if Starmer continues like this; glad to have a serious alternative that might arguably be the real change we need.
(edited 3 years ago)

One of Starmer's challenges is very much this "oil and water" difference with Boris. His forensic approach will win a lot of points, but in the end will it result in any damage to Boris's ability to appeal to the voters?
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot
One of Starmer's challenges is very much this "oil and water" difference with Boris. His forensic approach will win a lot of points, but in the end will it result in any damage to Boris's ability to appeal to the voters?

I think after this and the Cummings incident, Boris' reputation will be considerably weakened. Starmer has a lot to do before even thinking of getting the keys to No.10, but I'm sure his appeal will rise when the North see the Tories having to go back on their manifesto commitments to rectify the damage, i.e tax increases or ending things like the fuel duty freeze..
Original post by TJ1997
I think after this and the Cummings incident, Boris' reputation will be considerably weakened. Starmer has a lot to do before even thinking of getting the keys to No.10, but I'm sure his appeal will rise when the North see the Tories having to go back on their manifesto commitments to rectify the damage, i.e tax increases or ending things like the fuel duty freeze..

Quite possibly, but the election is most likely a long way off
No chance at all. Zero.
The polling doesn't agree with you on that one.
Michael Howard was excellent as LoTo- admittedly he took over from The Quiet Man and anyone would look good compared to him. Starmer hasn't been in post long enough yet to tell.

(I voted for IDS in 2001 over Ken Clarke purely over Europe. In hindsight, he was a poor choice but did lay the groundwork for Dave and his hug a hoodie, help the huskies stuff).
Original post by TJ1997

I'd say Cameron was better for sure. Also I think Miliband was better at PMQs
Original post by ageshallnot
No chance at all. Zero.

Yeah lol wtf

I don't think people realise that the last few years of instability were genuinely abnormal. Prime Ministers who just won a majority of 80, as a rule, don't lose confidence
Original post by Jammy Duel
The polling doesn't agree with you on that one.

Hmm, not sure you can say that with any certainty. There's been very significant swings to Labour recently: if the government beat Labour by, say, only 6 points, their majority starts to look a bit shaky.
Original post by RuneFreeze
Hmm, not sure you can say that with any certainty. There's been very significant swings to Labour recently: if the government beat Labour by, say, only 6 points, their majority starts to look a bit shaky.

It's not shaky until we get much closer to a general election.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending