Here why we need religion

People die

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Erm, how so?
Reply 2
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Erm, how so?

What I mean is that the topic of what’s after death is only dealt in religion nowhere else. When people stop dying, I believe religion would become irrelevant.
Reply 3
Original post by FMFMFM123
What I mean is that the topic of what’s after death is only dealt in religion nowhere else. When people stop dying, I believe religion would become irrelevant.

You say 'when'. What do you mean by that?
You seem to imply that humans will soon just stop dying :lol:

Nope. People are quite ready to accept that there is nothing after death.
Reply 5

Many people believe that religion has become irrelevant these days because of all the scientific development. It’s a reply to those who say we don’t need religion because we have science.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger

Common sense rejects that idea. Can good and evil be equal?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger

Not everyone. Many people still believe in an afterlife. OP is somewhat right here.
When kids grow up in a church being told "If you leave your going to hell for eternal punishment", later in life they will not leave. Thus giving the church money. Its actually quite clever.
Not everyone. Many people still believe in an afterlife. OP is somewhat right here.
When kids grow up in a church being told "If you leave your going to hell for eternal punishment", later in life they will not leave. Thus giving the church money. Its actually quite clever.

I think it depends on who the "we" are.
If the thread read why do some people need religion then that sorts itself out.
People die

Through out history God/ religion has been the leading cause of death.
I'm extremely grateful for religion as otherwise I would've probably been one of those guys who gets girls pregnant and does drugs instead of the well-mannered chap I am today who's saving himself for marriage 😁

Most scientific cures are made to delay death. It won’t happen soon but eventually scientists will have found a way to get rid of death all together through the combination of technology and humans being melded together.
Reply 12
There doesn't need to be an afterlife and there can't be. We are chemicals and electrical signals, how is that meant to move to some afterlife?
Original post by BuckHowls
Most scientific cures are made to delay death. It won’t happen soon but eventually scientists will have found a way to get rid of death all together through the combination of technology and humans being melded together.

An exponentially growing human population is very unenvironmentaly friendly. Eternal life would be extremely unethical (for multiple reasons).
And then the end of the universe comes along.
Original post by glassalice
An exponentially growing human population is very unenvironmentaly friendly. Eternal life would be extremely unethical (for multiple reasons).
And then the end of the universe comes along.

Doesn’t change the fact that philosophically scientists are searching for ways to eventually defeat death. What people consider to be ‘ethical’ is subjective and often changes for different periods of time. One could argue that it’s unethical for people to have children when the planet is already overpopulated and suffering because of too many people living on it,
Reply 15
Doesn’t change the fact that philosophically scientists are searching for ways to eventually defeat death. What people consider to be ‘ethical’ is subjective and often changes for different periods of time. One could argue that it’s unethical for people to have children when the planet is already overpopulated and suffering because of too many people living on it,

The antinatalism argument.

Is the ultimate aim of science to beat death, to turn our selves in to Gods?
Don't get all cultural relativist with me unless you are willing to justify natzi German.
Ethical problems include:
(1) Who gets this eternal life? Talk about inequality
(2) Do you have the right/ ability to become un-eternal?
(3) Could there ever be any form of social change?
(4)How could we provide all these eternals with the necessities of life?
(5)What would be the psychological impact?
People die

People die whether they are religious or not.
Original post by glassalice
Is the ultimate aim of science to beat death, to turn our selves in to Gods?
Don't get all cultural relativist with me unless you are willing to justify natzi German.
Ethical problems include:
(1) Who gets this eternal life? Talk about inequality
(2) Do you have the right/ ability to become un-eternal?
(3) Could there ever be any form of social change?
(4)How could we provide all these eternals with the necessities of life?
(5)What would be the psychological impact?

If that was not the ultimate aim why do scientists bother finding a cure to diseases? Finding cures to diseases delays death and prolongs life.

If people from the past looked at our current world today they would think we have already played god.

Inequality will always exist. This is the reality of human existence. Commercial space travel is still going to go ahead even though the majority of people will not be able to afford it. Arguing against scientific and human advancement on the basis of it will lead to inequality isn’t really a strong argument considering inequality has existed since ancient times.

All of these questions you are asking presumes that we are talking about beings that are still ‘human.’ In the far future the post human would be so intelligent and would have grown beyond the limitations of human nature that we would not be able to guess their behaviour or apply human ideas of ‘ethics’ and ‘morality’ to them because of our own limited human thoughts and existence.
If that was not the ultimate aim why do scientists bother finding a cure to diseases? Finding cures to diseases delays death and prolongs life.

If people from the past looked at our current world today they would think we have already played god.

Inequality will always exist. This is the reality of human existence. Commercial space travel is still going to go ahead even though the majority of people will not be able to afford it. Arguing against scientific and human advancement on the basis of it will lead to inequality isn’t really a strong argument considering inequality has existed since ancient times.

All of these questions you are asking presumes that we are talking about beings that are still ‘human.’ In the far future the post human would be so intelligent and would have grown beyond the limitations of human nature that we would not be able to guess their behaviour or apply human ideas of ‘ethics’ and ‘morality’ to them because of our own limited human thoughts and existence.

Finding cures to diseases will not lead to the defeat of death. If you where able to cure all cancers tomorrow, human life expectancy wouldn't actually increase that much.

So people don't matter that much?

Why would we want to become 'post-human'. Is there not value in out humanity?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending