The Student Room Group

Religion in Education

Hi! I'm doing a research project which is essentially 'does religious influence impact educational achievement?'If anyone is from a religious area/ is religious and feels comfortable listing their GCSE/A level/etc grades, I would appreciate it :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi! I'm doing a research project, which is essentially 'does religious influence impact educational achievement?'If anyone is from a religious area/ is religious and feels comfortable listing their GCSE/A level/etc grades, I would appreciate it :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Well yes (in a way)

Studying RE in high school and college has taught me how to argue for both sides, with equally strong points. It also taught me how to structure long answers. I am forever grateful.
For long style question exams this is what I got:
Sociology (self-taught) - 9
History - 9
Geography - 8
RE - 9
English literature - 7
English language - 9

For SAQ type exams:
Physics - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Maths - 9
Computer Science - 9
Reply 3
Original post by Aduminum
Hi! I'm doing a research project for college, which is essentially 'does religious influence impact educational achievement?'If anyone is from a religious area/ is religious and feels comfortable listing their GCSE/A level/etc grades, I would appreciate it :smile:

What do you want that data for exactly?
Reply 4
Original post by Joe312
What do you want that data for exactly?

In my sociology class, we've been asked to conduct a research task into religion, and I'd need to get some primary research done (because of the current virus situation this is as close as I can get to that :smile:) So that data would be used in my research report, to see if people who are religious do better in schools than non-religious people.
Reply 5
In my sociology class, we've been asked to conduct a research task into religion, and I'd need to get some primary research done (because of the current virus situation this is as close as I can get to that :smile:) So that data would be used in my research report, to see if people who are religious do better in schools than non-religious people.

How is this method of collecting data at all valid/representative though?
Reply 6
Original post by Joe312
How is this method of collecting data at all valid/representative though?

Well due to the restrictions I'm currently facing as a result of the pandemic, other than use of online research (statistics etc) its very difficult to get any representative data right now. But its not like my teachers don't understand that, they're more than willing to make exceptions :smile:
Reply 7
Hi! If anyone went to a religious school, do you think it's better than a state school? And why?
they often perform better although i don't know if that's a result of the school being religious or merely because of other factors, like religious parents being more disposed to making their children work harder and simply thinking a religious school will have a better work ethic

due to religious mission, they often have strong pastoral support
Hi! If anyone went to a religious school, do you think it's better than a state school? And why?

Education wise, yes, because religions parents are usually more disciplined with their children from a young age.
I'm a Catholic, who got 8888888766 in my GCSEs
Reply 11
Original post by PetitePanda
I'm a Catholic, who got 8888888766 in my GCSEs

Do you think your religion played a part in the grades you got? If you weren't religious do you think you'd get similar grades? Thanks for the reply :smile:
Do you think your religion played a part in the grades you got? If you weren't religious do you think you'd get similar grades? Thanks for the reply :smile:

I guess only for Religious Studies so I didnt have to revise for it at all and focus on my other subjects. Ofc I would get similar grades even if I werent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending