The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham or Manchester for Law?

Hiya!

I'm between the two as ideally I don't want to be applying to two AAA courses (trying to get a range). The other 4 i'm likely to go for are: Leicester, Cardiff, Aberdeen (with English Law) and Chester. Would somebody be able to offer the pros and cons of each university?

Thanks!
They are both good unis but in my personal preference, I would choose Manchester as I dont have to take the LNAT for only one uni so I dont have to spend money on it.
Original post by Mollyk220313
Hiya!

I'm between the two as ideally I don't want to be applying to two AAA courses (trying to get a range). The other 4 i'm likely to go for are: Leicester, Cardiff, Aberdeen (with English Law) and Chester. Would somebody be able to offer the pros and cons of each university?

Thanks!

What A level grades are you expecting to get because the range between Nottingham/Manchester and Chester is very large. It's up to you of course but people with AAA predictions normally choose unis in the range AAA- ABB
Original post by harrysbar
What A level grades are you expecting to get because the range between Nottingham/Manchester and Chester is very large. It's up to you of course but people with AAA predictions normally choose unis in the range AAA- ABB

I’m expecting at least AAB, but the reason for Chester is because it’s a secure backup at like BBB ! X
Hiya!

Thanks!

Not that Chester and Leicester are bad, but I think you could do better with AAA-AAB predictions. Idk about Aberdeen's requirements so I'll leave that for someone else to comment.

Do you qualify for contextual offers?
Original post by Euphoria101
Not that Chester and Leicester are bad, but I think you could do better with AAA-AAB predictions. Idk about Aberdeen's requirements so I'll leave that for someone else to comment.

Do you qualify for contextual offers?

I don’t (not at a private school but I’m at a grammar school and relatively middle class upbringing) I’m also not actually sure as to what my predicted grades will be hence the range
I don’t (not at a private school but I’m at a grammar school and relatively middle class upbringing) I’m also not actually sure as to what my predicted grades will be hence the range

Can you find out? When would you be told what they will be? Is there a chance your predicted grades could be AAA?
Can you find out? When would you be told what they will be? Is there a chance your predicted grades could be AAA?

I will be told early July, and I very much doubt it to be honest
I will be told early July, and I very much doubt it to be honest

I agree with Harrys. It’s up to you but the range between Nottingham and Chester is quite big and I think perhaps you could benefit by changing it. Lancaster for example is AAB and they tend to be relatively flexible on results day
I agree with Harrys. It’s up to you but the range between Nottingham and Chester is quite big and I think perhaps you could benefit by changing it. Lancaster for example is AAB and they tend to be relatively flexible on results day

is lancaster known for Law? I just don't want to be left without a choice on results day haha
is lancaster known for Law? I just don't want to be left without a choice on results day haha

I completely understand! But there will always be universities in clearing. @harrysbar can perhaps link her list of last year’s clearing

Ofc you can make your own decisions, you know your abilities better than me!:smile:
I completely understand! But there will always be universities in clearing. @harrysbar can perhaps link her list of last year’s clearing

Ofc you can make your own decisions, you know your abilities better than me!:smile:

Unis in Clearing for Law 2019:

Warwick and Durham not in Clearing
Bristol not in Clearing for home students (Adjustment at A*AA with no LNAT)
Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points
Unis in Clearing for Law 2019:

Warwick and Durham not in Clearing
Bristol not in Clearing for home students (Adjustment at A*AA with no LNAT)
Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points

Southampton accepted BBC?!???????
Southampton accepted BBC?!???????

Well I did say "reportedly" for BBC by which I mean someone reported it on TSR rather than me seeing it for myself on their website. Southampton do seem to go quite low in Clearing though - I remember my son was considering them at one time for mech eng - they ask for A*AA for that subject but are always in Clearing and that year they advertised vacancies at ABB for mech eng. Won't reduce their A*AA official requirement though :rolleyes:

They are a less popular RG uni but still well respected as you know
Well I did say "reportedly" for BBC by which I mean someone reported it on TSR rather than me seeing it for myself on their website. Southampton do seem to go quite low in Clearing though - I remember my son was considering them at one time for mech eng - they ask for A*AA for that subject but are always in Clearing and that year they advertised vacancies at ABB for mech eng. Won't reduce their A*AA official requirement though :rolleyes:

They are a less popular RG uni but still well respected as you know

That’s shocking. Especially cause they’re quite well known for mech eng I thought! Goes to show how ‘flexible’ these entry requirements really are.
That’s shocking. Especially cause they’re quite well known for mech eng I thought! Goes to show how ‘flexible’ these entry requirements really are.

Exactly, they are supposed to be one of the best for engineering so it's not that it's a bad course.

I don't know exactly why it often has vacancies but I guess Southampton isn't vibrant compared to bigger cities, isn't as pretty as places like Exeter and Bath and is expensive compared to ones in the North or midlands so :dontknow:
Exactly, they are supposed to be one of the best for engineering so it's not that it's a bad course.

I don't know exactly why it often has vacancies but I guess Southampton isn't vibrant compared to bigger cities, isn't as pretty as places like Exeter and Bath and is expensive compared to ones in the North or midlands so :dontknow:

Yeah tbf it’s not the kind of area that students die to live in for three years!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending