The Student Room Group

Gap year during COVID-19 - HELP?

I have a deferred medicine university offer for 2021 entry, as I intended to have a gap year to have a much needed break to travel, and perhaps start a business etc. before diving into my degree and career as a doctor. However, due to the current situation with Coronavirus, I'm not sure whether this would be a waste of time for me considering travel restrictions (which may even last to summer 2021 when my gap year would be nearing an end anyway!) and whether instead I should just ask to start the course this year.

I have always wanted a gap year, and was SO excited but now the idea is all messed up... what should I do?
To be honest with you, there is no point for gap year due to Covid-19. We don’t know till now where the situation will be over. So the best solution is to start the course this year.
It depends whether you would rather have a socially distant gap year or a socially distant first year of university
Reply 3
Original post by Hol4271
I have a deferred medicine university offer for 2021 entry, as I intended to have a gap year to have a much needed break to travel, and perhaps start a business etc. before diving into my degree and career as a doctor. However, due to the current situation with Coronavirus, I'm not sure whether this would be a waste of time for me considering travel restrictions (which may even last to summer 2021 when my gap year would be nearing an end anyway!) and whether instead I should just ask to start the course this year.

I have always wanted a gap year, and was SO excited but now the idea is all messed up... what should I do?

I am in the exact same situation as you... I was so excited for so long for my gap year and I wanted to start uni the year after... I think I am going to keep my gap year as first year uni is looking like everything is going to be online.. What have you decided to do?
Reply 4
Original post by wattsc
I am in the exact same situation as you... I was so excited for so long for my gap year and I wanted to start uni the year after... I think I am going to keep my gap year as first year uni is looking like everything is going to be online.. What have you decided to do?

I've decided to start this year, and have contacted my university to ask to join this year's entry but they cannot confirm if I can until UCAS decisions have been made (18th June). I can totally understand why you'd want to start next year, I am too concerned that my first year will not fun (freshers etc.) and that teaching will be online.
But ultimately, I would struggle to get through a year off with no travelling or anything, especially with all the time off from education I've had already. I still am unsure if I've made the correct decision :// How are you planning to spend your gap year now?
Reply 5
Original post by Laurence010401
It depends whether you would rather have a socially distant gap year or a socially distant first year of university

Thanks for your advice :smile: I'm unsure tbh though, ahh.
Reply 6
Original post by Lisa_chaouch
To be honest with you, there is no point for gap year due to Covid-19. We don’t know till now where the situation will be over. So the best solution is to start the course this year.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Of course this is a very difficult question that no-one knows the answer to but I found a new website which has really helped me called www.gapyeartrails.com so check it out for some advice!
I'm in the same boat, I have a deferred offer for English for 2021, and I have no idea what I'm going to do on my gap year now. The idea of moving away to uni scares me so I decided to take a gap year to become more independent before making that step, but now I've had so much time off already. I don't know what to do? Also, thank you for the website recommendation :-)
Original post by Spellslinger
I'm in the same boat, I have a deferred offer for English for 2021, and I have no idea what I'm going to do on my gap year now. The idea of moving away to uni scares me so I decided to take a gap year to become more independent before making that step, but now I've had so much time off already. I don't know what to do? Also, thank you for the website recommendation :-)

Hi im in the same boat as you, and was wondering what you decided to do for your gap year?
Reply 10
Original post by Abenz_140
Hi im in the same boat as you, and was wondering what you decided to do for your gap year?

can i ask what you've decided to do? I started uni this year but i'm thinking of taking a gap year cause i have an offer for a different uni starting september 2021 but idk if i should take a gap year since it might be hard going back to education after so much time off and also i wouldn't know what to do during the gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest