The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough

Hi, I have had my eyes set on attending Loughborough for years. I applied to study sports science this year however I recently got declined because my GCSE maths wasn't good enough. I got into contact and they gave me the option of studying at Loughborough college which I was hesitant at first however if I receive my predicted grades ABB I would 100% be able to study here. My question was, what is uni life like at loughborough college and is it worth studying there?
Reply 1
I just graduated my final year and 100% it’s amazing. I went to Loughborough college for my foundation degree.
Only thing if I’m really being picky is that it kind of is a party uni. This coming from someone that isn’t a big partier and actually got bullied a lot. But I came out of it with a few amazing and close friends for life and a degree that I worked really hard for. It’s facilities are fantastic though and if you’re going it will look fantastic on your cv because lboro is known for its sciences and engineering. I recommend it 100%, just because I had a relatively sh*tty experience the past four years doesn’t mean you will.
(edited 3 years ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
I know someone that studied there. You might want to double check but you should be able to do most of the same things. I knew the person through a sports club we were both a member of so you'll be able to join SU and AU socities and clubs. He also said he'll get his degree from Loughborough uni. I can't verify that. I would ask for clarity on that and whether there's the opportunity to transfer to a Loughborough University course (after one year, for example). Also ask about facilities, who you're taught by (ie: college or university staff too).

Original post by Charlie_W02
however if I receive my predicted grades ABB I would 100% be able to study here.

Can you clarify this sentence? Is "here" university or college? How confident are you of achieving this goal? If it's just a GCSE grade could you ask if there's anyway of making up for it?
Reply 3
Original post by alexs2602
I know someone that studied there. You might want to double check but you should be able to do most of the same things. I knew the person through a sports club we were both a member of so you'll be able to join SU and AU socities and clubs. He also said he'll get his degree from Loughborough uni. I can't verify that. I would ask for clarity on that and whether there's the opportunity to transfer to a Loughborough University course (after one year, for example). Also ask about facilities, who you're taught by (ie: college or university staff too).

Can you clarify this sentence? Is "here" university or college? How confident are you of achieving this goal? If it's just a GCSE grade could you ask if there's anyway of making up for it?

here is college because the entry grade is CCC i'm confident that I will get ABB the only reason I didn't get accepted into the uni is because I got a 4 in my maths and I needed a 6, sadly maths isn't my strongest subject so I knew that would let me down.
Reply 4
Original post by LouDLou
I just graduated my final year and 100% it’s amazing. I went to Loughborough college for my foundation degree.
Only thing if I’m really being picky is that it kind of is a party uni. This coming from someone that isn’t a big partier and actually got bullied a lot. But I came out of it with a few amazing and close friends for life and a degree that I worked really hard for. It’s facilities are fantastic though and if you’re going it will look fantastic on your cv because lboro is known for its sciences and engineering. I recommend it 100%, just because I had a relatively sh*tty experience the past four years doesn’t mean you will.

i'm glad to here it was worth it. with your experience at the college how involved was it with uni events? also are the accommodations on college campus?
Reply 5
I was very involved- drama, Ice skating, peer support worker, yoga, cycling- it’s why I had so much fun! The union nights are great too and there are a lot of other clubs and bars in Loughborough town, some really nice restaurants, movie theatres. Basically everything a student needs to keep themselves busy! And the on campus accommodations are awesome. You should check out the Loughborough website because there are videos of each Halls introduction of the kinds of people who live in each hall. I honestly recommend William Morris and The Holt, those were the nicest people, honestly so like minded and kind, a lot of my friends or acquaintances did not have very good experiences with people from HazelRigg, Towers and Royce. Hope this helps!
Original post by Charlie_W02
Hi, I have had my eyes set on attending Loughborough for years. I applied to study sports science this year however I recently got declined because my GCSE maths wasn't good enough. I got into contact and they gave me the option of studying at Loughborough college which I was hesitant at first however if I receive my predicted grades ABB I would 100% be able to study here. My question was, what is uni life like at loughborough college and is it worth studying there?

Hi @Charlie_W02,

If you are a student at Loughborough college you will still have access to everything run at the Student's Union as this covers all students from the college and the university. Therefore, should you wish to you can still join all the societies and clubs that you are interested in.

Students studying at Loughborough College will have access to the College Accommodation, but will still be able to affiliate with a university hall if they wish to get involved with any socials, hall sports (IMS) or other hall based events. I have had friends in the past choose to affiliate with The Holt hall as it was the closest to the college accommodation and they found the people there to be really easy to get along with.

Hope this helps and any further questions feel free to PM us.
Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending