The Student Room Group

Would it be ideal to have GCSES first before doing an Access to HE course?

just wondering because they say the HE courses are equivalent to a levels. as someone who has been out of education for years now im pretty sure it would be impossible to study a level information if i havent even gotten gcses haha

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Throwaway927774
just wondering because they say the HE courses are equivalent to a levels. as someone who has been out of education for years now im pretty sure it would be impossible to study a level information if i havent even gotten gcses haha

Unis and colleges will usually require English and Maths.
Access courses can take people who have done no study, but it depends how you left school and what you have done since. If school was a disaster and many years ago plus you have no GCSE at all, plus you want to do well, then do pre access to let you do a small number of GCSE first and to get your studyskills and confidence up.
Original post by 999tigger
Unis and colleges will usually require English and Maths.
Access courses can take people who have done no study, but it depends how you left school and what you have done since. If school was a disaster and many years ago plus you have no GCSE at all, plus you want to do well, then do pre access to let you do a small number of GCSE first and to get your studyskills and confidence up.

where can i find pre access courses. also cant i just take gcses normally
Hi,

An access course wouldn’t take GCSEs you have into account as they presume they are out of date and can’t be used. Any university will take an access course and not require additional information regarding GCSEs. They also cater the course to mature students so will give you the help you need to be able to progress throughout the year.
Original post by Throwaway927774
where can i find pre access courses. also cant i just take gcses normally

Try your local college and then google pre access.
Yes you can do GCSE normally, usually online., which you pay or teach yourself.
Original post by daintydaisy
Hi,

An access course wouldn’t take GCSEs you have into account as they presume they are out of date and can’t be used. Any university will take an access course and not require additional information regarding GCSEs. They also cater the course to mature students so will give you the help you need to be able to progress throughout the year.

First bit is wrong . A GCSE doesnt go out of date, hence if they have English and Maths, the college will accept it.
Universities overwhelmingly require GCSE English and maths in addition.
|Help is not guaranteed by any means and its much healthier to start a course with basic academic skills, than be learning as you go along because the course is intense and you can get left behind.

If you want good grades then its better to know what you are about and to know things like research, planning, problem solving and writing an essay.
Hello, I did an access to biosciences course and will be starting uni this September. GCSE’s in Maths, English and Science were a requirement for my access course and also a requirement for the uni course. It’s worth contacting the colleges you’re looking at and ask for some advice, and also the requirements for the university course you’re looking at too. All courses are different. The access course is intense, but they understand some students have been out of education for a while and there was a lot of support available. :smile:
First bit is wrong . A GCSE doesnt go out of date, hence if they have English and Maths, the college will accept it.
Universities overwhelmingly require GCSE English and maths in addition.
|Help is not guaranteed by any means and its much healthier to start a course with basic academic skills, than be learning as you go along because the course is intense and you can get left behind.

If you want good grades then its better to know what you are about and to know things like research, planning, problem solving and writing an essay.

I’m speaking from personal experience and the information I received is from my college, this is what they told me when I applied. GCSEs as far as I’m aware need to be updated after 5 years. I received a lot of help doing my access course but obviously this can differ depending on the college.
Also just to add - unsure where you are based but my local college does GCSE evening classes over 1 year for those core subjects. It wasn’t advertised anywhere so it’s worth contacting colleges directly for info. Good luck!
I’m speaking from personal experience and the information I received is from my college, this is what they told me when I applied. GCSEs as far as I’m aware need to be updated after 5 years. I received a lot of help doing my access course but obviously this can differ depending on the college.

Nope they never run out.

Yes you do need GCSE English and Maths for uni and an access course alone is rarely enough. That applies to virtually every degree subject.
Nope they never run out.

Yes you do need GCSE English and Maths for uni and an access course alone is rarely enough. That applies to virtually every degree subject.

Ah, I apologise for the confusion then.

although you are wrong about the access course not being enough - they’re made specifically for mature students who don’t have the GCSEs needed for uni and usually include maths/English gcse or equivalent (mine does). It’s a progression route to uni.
Try your local college and then google pre access.
Yes you can do GCSE normally, usually online., which you pay or teach yourself.

lmao i literally cant find anything relating to pre access courses online. and anything i find is regarding subjects i have no interest in
Ah, I apologise for the confusion then.

although you are wrong about the access course not being enough - they’re made specifically for mature students who don’t have the GCSEs needed for uni and usually include maths/English gcse or equivalent (mine does). It’s a progression route to uni.

I answer hundreds of queries a ear on access course.
It os rarely enough by itself without English and Maths GCSE which is expected by nearly all unis for nearly all courses.
To get onto the access course they are often required but some colleges allow you to study them at the same time.
Other colleges who let their students do access without GCSE Maths and Englsih often let down their students when they then post on here about not having them and being rejected from uni.

I am not meaning to make this personal , it is just the way it is. get GCSE Maths and English as a priority, then it is out of the way.
Look at a selection of uni courses and entrance requirements. the Access course is just a replacement for level 3 qualifications.
You need to look at all courses at your local college which are Level 2. This is GCSE level. Level 3 courses are at A Level.
Also, if you really feel uncomfortable about going straight into a GCSE level course your college probably do several different Level 1 courses too. Just to get you back into the swing of things, and see how much you enjoy it or not.
Original post by markova21
You need to look at all courses at your local college which are Level 2. This is GCSE level. Level 3 courses are at A Level.

how many gcses do u need to go to college
I answer hundreds of queries a ear on access course.
It os rarely enough by itself without English and Maths GCSE which is expected by nearly all unis for nearly all courses.
To get onto the access course they are often required but some colleges allow you to study them at the same time.
Other colleges who let their students do access without GCSE Maths and Englsih often let down their students when they then post on here about not having them and being rejected from uni.

I am not meaning to make this personal , it is just the way it is. get GCSE Maths and English as a priority, then it is out of the way.
Look at a selection of uni courses and entrance requirements. the Access course is just a replacement for level 3 qualifications.

Not at all personal, I appreciate your opinion on the matter.

speaking from personal experience though, my access course does include english and maths at gcse level which makes it enough to get into uni. Obviously I understand it’s needed for unis but typically access courses do include these. It might be different in England, or maybe you’ve just had a different experience to me.
Not at all personal, I appreciate your opinion on the matter.

speaking from personal experience though, my access course does include english and maths at gcse level which makes it enough to get into uni. Obviously I understand it’s needed for unis but typically access courses do include these. It might be different in England, or maybe you’ve just had a different experience to me.

They are different qualifications.

You will be doing a 60 / 45 credit QAA Access course.

The GCSE are separate and qualifications in their own right. They are not part of the Access diploma.
Hi,

This is completely incorrect.

I just completed an access to Health Science course and applied to uni to study paramedic science. All of them required GCSEs.

I promise you, you will get rejected from more or less every university without GCSE qualifications.

Virtually every university requires at least a C in GCSE English Lang and Maths. And access course alone will certainly not get you into uni. Many people in my class made this exact mistake and couldn’t even apply this year as they had no GCSEs.

People tend to either complete their GCSE studies along side the access course OR have done them before hand.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest