The Student Room Group

Unemployed a year after graduation

I have a 2:1 degree in politics from a Russel group university. I haven’t been able to land a job for almost a year since finishing university, I’ve applied for hundreds of positions from entry level to grad schemes to temp agencies and have been unsuccessful.

Most of my applications have been ignored, haven’t passed the interview stage for the few I manage to get (few of which have gone to oxbridge students instead - I checked LinkedIn) and a few were automatically cancelled due to corona.

I have over 4 years experience working in administration + customer facing roles (part time work during studies), I’ve gained voluntary experience in different political/charity roles throughout university and was active in societies. The last year has been spent working part time in retail and volunteering in my field.

I’ve had my Cv checked over by my university careers department and had it changed accordingly.

I don’t really know what other steps I can take to secure a job and I’ve lost motivation to keep applying.

Would really appreciate any tips to help!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by neko no basu
What did you study at uni?

They said Politics.

Given what you said it seems strange that you would get nothing out of hundreds of applications. Either you're applying for positions you're completely unsuitable for or there must be something you're doing consistently wrong in the assessment stages. Maybe do some mock interviews with the university careers service and ask for feedback? Or better yet, take and reflect on feedback from those companies that rejected you and are able to provide it.
Original post by M1na13
I have a 2:1 degree in politics from a Russel group university. I haven’t been able to land a job for almost a year since finishing university, I’ve applied for hundreds of positions from entry level to grad schemes to temp agencies and have been unsuccessful.

Most of my applications have been ignored, haven’t passed the interview stage for the few I manage to get (few of which have gone to oxbridge students instead - I checked LinkedIn) and a few were automatically cancelled due to corona.

I have over 4 years experience working in administration + customer facing roles (part time work during studies), I’ve gained voluntary experience in different political/charity roles throughout university and was active in societies. The last year has been spent working part time in retail and volunteering in my field.

I’ve had my Cv checked over by my university careers department and had it changed accordingly.

I don’t really know what other steps I can take to secure a job and I’ve lost motivation to keep applying.

Are you applying for jobs that match your current skillset? Is it location that is making your job search more challenging? I would think with your experience you should be able to get an admin or project management job with relative ease. :smile:

There is undoubtedly really, really tough competition out there but you can't shy away from it, you have to be able to sell yourself above the competition. If you are thinking "those oxbridge grads are so much better than me" it will show in your interviews, the employer can't be confident in you if you aren't confident in yourself. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by EYgraduate
Are you applying for jobs that match your current skillset? Is it location that is making your job search more challenging? I would think with your experience you should be able to get an admin or project management job with relative ease. :smile:

There is undoubtedly really, really tough competition out there but you can't shy away from it, you have to be able to sell yourself above the competition. If you are thinking "those oxbridge grads are so much better than me" it will show in your interviews, the employer can't be confident in you if you aren't confident in yourself. :smile:

A lot of project management roles either require experience or at least a qualification in project management such as PRINCE2.

Have you gotten feedback from your previous interviews where you were unsuccessful? What were those roles whereby you did manage to secure an interview? Do you know anyone who knows of any positions going in their workplaces? That was my route into employment when I finished my degree.

Since then I have been out of work twice in my 20 odd years of working. The first time I secured a job via temp work (temp to perm) relatively quickly and the other time I had to just keep applying and applying. It was soul destroying. It also didn't help that I lived in a part of the country that just didn't seem to have enough jobs for the immense number of people applying for them and I ended up having to move back to near London in order to get a job in the city. Even then it was only a temp to perm.

IMHO, unfortunately it's going to be tough for people on the hunt for a job right now given the virus situation. But KEEP persevering. And make sure the jobs you are applying for not only match your skillset, but also that your CV is applicable to the role. I have a few different CV's tailored for different types of jobs and tailor it to match what I'm applying for at the time. (And I'm not talking about lying on it!! Just removing some elements that might not be applicable to one role and adding them in for others).
Original post by M1na13

You can apply to more roles then just the ones you want. I feel like you've just applied to roles that make sense for your degree, rather than broader roles...It's really upsetting you've not put more effort in securing something this past cycle, likely the best cycle for the next few years....you need to refocus and just get ANY job. Don't just sit at home...or if you want an edge do postgrad study.
Apply for less jobs and spend more time up-skilling. After 6 months outside of university you start to become much appealing to prospective employers. The only way to claw back control is by doing something you yourself care about.

I've been in the same situation and it's the only thing that worked. Good luck.
What uni did you go to ??
Original post by M1na13

I recommend you do the IMC exam it will definitely put a boost on your CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending