The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

University of portsmouth

Hiya,
I'm starting university this year in portsmouth and have spent lots out on learning to drive. I was wondering if anyone drives to uni and how they get parking permits as I understand the campus has no parking and there is limited space. Any help would be great.
Original post by Lhare2002
Hiya,
I'm starting university this year in portsmouth and have spent lots out on learning to drive. I was wondering if anyone drives to uni and how they get parking permits as I understand the campus has no parking and there is limited space. Any help would be great.

Hi @Lhare2002,

As far as I am aware, if you are living in halls, you are discouraged from bringing cars as all our residences are in the city centre and the only place to park would be a public car park. However, some students do bring their cars to university when they move out of halls and into private housing. Depending on the road you are living on, you may have on street parking, and in most cases you will have to purchase a parking permit. You can find out more information about the parking permits from the council website here: https://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/ext/parking-travel-and-roads/parking/residents-parking-permits

If you scroll down to the section titled 'eligibility', there is info about students applying for the parking permits - the key thing is that the car has to be registered at your university address (and I think this also affects car insurance).

I hope that helps - please let me know if you have any questions!

Danielle - Official Student Rep :smile:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending