The Student Room Group

Applications for Frontline, Think Ahead, StepUp Summer 2021.

Hi, I have just finished my second year of university and I am hoping to apply to one of the social work graduate programs when the applications open later on this year. In hopes of starting right after graduation.
I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat or if anyone had any advice on how to prepare for the applications. I am aware all three are very competitive programs and I just want to do as much as I can to have a chance of securing a place.
Furthermore, if I am unsuccessful I would like to do a masters and I was just wondering if I should apply to frontline, stepup, think ahead and a masters degree just in case.
If anyone can help or if anyone else is wondering the same things it would be great to hear from you!!

Scroll to see replies

I’m in the same boat hopeing to apply for all 3 of the programmes this year. I heard they are very competitive but I’m more worried about them deferring me if there is no placement for me especially when I’m not a car driver
Reply 2
Original post by Anisablue
I’m in the same boat hopeing to apply for all 3 of the programmes this year. I heard they are very competitive but I’m more worried about them deferring me if there is no placement for me especially when I’m not a car driver

Yeah me too! Will you be applying to a masters course as well or just the programs? Because I’m not sure weather to or not?? And yeah that’s what I was thinking too with the placements
No I can’t do the masters because you only get about 10k I’m total each year funding out of that you will need to pay your tuition which is like 7k a yr so your left with like 3 k a yr to live on which is impossible and you can’t get a job coz you will be full time placement it’s unfair that they make it so difficult through the post grad route
Reply 4
Yeah exactly! It’s so difficult and the programs are so competitive just praying that I get accepted onto a program otherwise I’ve 0 clue what I’m going to do
I guess you can try each year to try get on. Luckily I have a good career in the civil service so I will be taking a massive pay cut so if I don’t get on I would just keep trying
By the way their is also the trainee probation officer programme too which is through the civil service they recruit twice a year. New applications of this month look interesting but my hearts set on social work lol
Reply 6
Yeah true! I’ve just finished my second year at uni so I suppose the masters route wouldn’t be such a dramatic change for me but obviously it would be a struggle without the maintenance loan but yeah it’s definitely different and much harder if you’re currently working full time and oh really!! That sounds so interesting especially because I do criminology atm but I’m in the same boat as you my heart is set on social work hahaha
Original post by chaarlieex
Yeah true! I’ve just finished my second year at uni so I suppose the masters route wouldn’t be such a dramatic change for me but obviously it would be a struggle without the maintenance loan but yeah it’s definitely different and much harder if you’re currently working full time and oh really!! That sounds so interesting especially because I do criminology atm but I’m in the same boat as you my heart is set on social work hahaha

So you will be applying from sep 21?
If I get all the way to assessment centre lol I’ll let you know what it’s all about
Reply 8
No I’ll be applying from this September to hopefully start as soon as I graduate in 21 !! You can still apply as long as you actually get a 2.1 !! But thank you anyway hahaha hopefully we will both get that far lol
Aah ok that’s great Yh hopefully we got a spot
What region are you apply I’m applying Yorkshire and Humber so West Yorkshire. I need to pass my driving before I start otherwise I will be limited with the placements I can get
Reply 10
Yeah definitely!! And I’m in the north west but if you apply for frontline I think the application days are only in London as well and yeah it’ll be so much easier driving to placements luckily I drive, I’m just more worried about actually getting a place because I have limited experience I’ve got about a years worth of volunteering but obviously I’ve not got anything full time because if uni!
I think a year experience would be good tbh I know some people still get on with no experience at all. I really prefer think head programme as all my experience is in mental health And that’s where my passion is- the dream is to become an AMHP. but with children’s and families I worked as a nursery nurse for 3 years but that was like 10 yrs ago now.
Reply 12
Well I hope so I just know how competitive it is so I’m just worrying that’s all hahah and yeah the think ahead program looks amazing and you’re definitely best doing what your passion is, it would be so rewarding
Hi, I have just finished my second year of university and I am hoping to apply to one of the social work graduate programs when the applications open later on this year. In hopes of starting right after graduation.
I was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat or if anyone had any advice on how to prepare for the applications. I am aware all three are very competitive programs and I just want to do as much as I can to have a chance of securing a place.
Furthermore, if I am unsuccessful I would like to do a masters and I was just wondering if I should apply to frontline, stepup, think ahead and a masters degree just in case.
If anyone can help or if anyone else is wondering the same things it would be great to hear from you!!

Hi,

I attended the assessment day for Frontline in 2017, got offered a place but turned it down due to being offered a Psychology position elsewhere, if you want any advice let me know.

Main advice is trying to enjoy the day, its quite intense but mainly focused on interpersonal skills and ability to gain rapport.
Reply 14
Original post by greg tony
Hi,

I attended the assessment day for Frontline in 2017, got offered a place but turned it down due to being offered a Psychology position elsewhere, if you want any advice let me know.

Main advice is trying to enjoy the day, its quite intense but mainly focused on interpersonal skills and ability to gain rapport.

Hi,
Thank you so much for commenting, the applications are not open yet but I’m praying I get invited to an assessment day for the next cohort when the time comes.
If you don’t mind me asking what kind of experience did you have before applying??
Congratulations on the physiology position and thank you so much again !!
Hi,
Thank you so much for commenting, the applications are not open yet but I’m praying I get invited to an assessment day for the next cohort when the time comes.
If you don’t mind me asking what kind of experience did you have before applying??
Congratulations on the physiology position and thank you so much again !!

I was about to start my last year of my Psychology undergrad (The OU), went for assessment in the summer preceding. I was a mature student, so 26 when I applied to Frontline. To be honest I did not have lots of experience on paper, was still in the military and had done 2 different voluntary positions with Mind and NHS. I think being able to reflect on my non-social work experiences was key, so in my eyes Frontline was more about who you are rather than what is on your CV.
Reply 16
Oh that’s amazing! I’m in a similar position so that makes me feel much more confident thank you so much for all of your help !!!
Original post by greg tony
I was about to start my last year of my Psychology undergrad (The OU), went for assessment in the summer preceding. I was a mature student, so 26 when I applied to Frontline. To be honest I did not have lots of experience on paper, was still in the military and had done 2 different voluntary positions with Mind and NHS. I think being able to reflect on my non-social work experiences was key, so in my eyes Frontline was more about who you are rather than what is on your CV.

Have you heard of the frontline insight days for BAME people I have signed up for them which start end of this month. Apparently joining the session gives you the privalage of applying before the applications open
I also just completed my degree in psychology and mental health. I am actually starting a masters degree in investigative forensic psychology in September which will be finished by June but would need to submit a dissertation but sep next year . People think I’m crazy but I’m hopeing to cram it all in and start with one other programmes next year as well
Reply 18
That’s amazing!! It’s so good that the insight says are offered, they’ll be able to give you loads of info which is so important. Your masters sounds so interesting, Think Ahead sounds perfect for you because I know they offer placements on forensic social care too which would be so interesting!! I’d absolutely love to work in forensics I’m stuck deciding if frontline is the best option or think ahead !! It’s amazing you’re putting all that work in it’s definitely going to pay off for you in the future, I wish you the absolute best with it!!!
Thanks Charlie !! I’ll
Post on here if I do get to go on the sessions and I give you the info.
I think best applying for both as I read on the frontline website you also do a 30 day placement in adult social care to get a feel for another department other than children and families

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending