The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Bangor vs york

I've started looking at unis for 2021 and my top 2 courses are bioarchaeology at York and marine biology at Bangor I was just wondering if anyone on here does/Did or wants to do these. And if so do you feel it was a good choice
Original post by pinkypink725
I've started looking at unis for 2021 and my top 2 courses are bioarchaeology at York and marine biology at Bangor I was just wondering if anyone on here does/Did or wants to do these. And if so do you feel it was a good choice

Hi there :smile:

Great to hear that you are interested in Marine biology here at Bangor.

It's a great course. You could chat to some of our students on Unibuddy to find out more:

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentlife/unibuddy?ub_medium=product&ub_source=Chat%20Bubble&ub_content=Students%20Button

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have on here too :smile:

Sera and the Bangor Uni team
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Hello.

I am a Marine Biology MSci student at Bangor. Just completed my first year. I am enjoying myself so far. As far as work goes, I've done six modules and only one of them was a pain in the ass (Environment Data and Analysis, or statistics to the civilians). These modules have been a mix between lectures, like Organismal Diversity, and practical sessions such as Marine Bio Prac 1. There has been a good balance between them. Unfortunately we didn't get to do any field trips this semester due to the weather being shocking and Covid happening, but previous years have reported them to be enjoyable and the field trips we did during semester one were informative and fun.

Support from the university has been great as well. I have very good resources at my disposal in the libraries, lecture halls, labs, sports halls, mental health and wellbeing support etc. The staff are always around when you need assistance. My personal tutor provides good support as well. Accommodation is clean, modern, safe, and has everything we need (I was also pleasantly surprised by the internet speed). I stay is St Mary's in the Tudno Townhouses with fellow mature students.

The area is pretty and well worth exploring. Joining Bangor Uni's clubs and societies are a great way to do this, all of which are free to join and partake in for the most part (for example, if we scuba dive in the local quarry we have to pay entry fees etc but access to Bangor pool and borrowing gear is free with the club. Training is not free as it is PADI run).

I whole heartedly believe it was a good choice. If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a message.

Sarah
Original post by Punkroesz
Hello.

I am a Marine Biology MSci student at Bangor. Just completed my first year. I am enjoying myself so far. As far as work goes, I've done six modules and only one of them was a pain in the ass (Environment Data and Analysis, or statistics to the civilians). These modules have been a mix between lectures, like Organismal Diversity, and practical sessions such as Marine Bio Prac 1. There has been a good balance between them. Unfortunately we didn't get to do any field trips this semester due to the weather being shocking and Covid happening, but previous years have reported them to be enjoyable and the field trips we did during semester one were informative and fun.

Support from the university has been great as well. I have very good resources at my disposal in the libraries, lecture halls, labs, sports halls, mental health and wellbeing support etc. The staff are always around when you need assistance. My personal tutor provides good support as well. Accommodation is clean, modern, safe, and has everything we need (I was also pleasantly surprised by the internet speed). I stay is St Mary's in the Tudno Townhouses with fellow mature students.

The area is pretty and well worth exploring. Joining Bangor Uni's clubs and societies are a great way to do this, all of which are free to join and partake in for the most part (for example, if we scuba dive in the local quarry we have to pay entry fees etc but access to Bangor pool and borrowing gear is free with the club. Training is not free as it is PADI run).

I whole heartedly believe it was a good choice. If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a message.

Sarah

Sounds really good and if it's where I go I'll defo join scuba as I already do it. So much about the uni looks brilliant. I'm going to trey and visit the area in summer
Sounds really good and if it's where I go I'll defo join scuba as I already do it. So much about the uni looks brilliant. I'm going to trey and visit the area in summer

Yes, I'd recommend a visit just to see the area if nothing else. Good luck with your A Levels and if you chose us, see you in September :smile:
my top choice is Bangor for 2021 with either zoology or one of the zoology with... degrees x
Original post by Freyaxguest
my top choice is Bangor for 2021 with either zoology or one of the zoology with... degrees x

we might end up in some of the same lectures :smile:
we might end up in some of the same lectures :smile:

I've got an offer to Bangor for Zoology now aswell. It is a firm favourite of mine aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest