The Student Room Group

A-level Trig Help

It is given that f(x)=sin(x+30)+cos(x+60)
a) show that f(x)=cosx, hence show that f(4x)+4f(2x) = Acos^4x-B
b) determine the greatest and least values of 1/f(4x)+4f(2x)+7 as x varies
c) solve the equation, sin(12a+30)+cos(12a+60)+4sin(6a+30)+4cos(6a+60)=1 for 0<a<60

I have worked out part a as A=8 and B=3, which is correct, however I am struggling to find a starting point for both parts b and c, any ideas?
Think about how you would use your answer to part a) in the equation stated in part b)
Reply 2
Original post by mathstutor24
Think about how you would use your answer to part a) in the equation stated in part b)

I have now got 1/(8cos^4x + 4) which I have written in terms of sec, 8sec^4x + 1/4. However there is no equals so i know i cannot move the 1/4 across, so I dont know where to go from this equation.
Think about the range of y=cos(x)

i.e. what is the biggest and smallest value cos(x) can equal. How can you use this information to determine the greatest and least values?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Think about the range of y=cos(x)

I'm sorry, I dont understand
what is the biggest value that cos(x) can be, regardless of the value of x?
similarly, what is the smallest value that cos(x) can be?

Annotation 2020-06-08 171015.png
Reply 6
what is the biggest value that cos(x) can be, regardless of the value of x?
similarly, what is the smallest value that cos(x) can be?

Annotation 2020-06-08 171015.png

so 1 and -1, would I make 1/8cos^4x+4 equal to each of these values and then solve ?
Almost! Yes, the largest and smallest values of cos(x) are 1 and -1. So... if you think about them in terms of cos4xcos^{4}x they will both be 1, so setting cos(x) to 1 and -1 will give you the same answer. HINT: consider cos(x)=0
Reply 8
Original post by alicejanes
I have now got 1/(8cos^4x + 4) which I have written in terms of sec, 8sec^4x + 1/4.

Are you sure those 2 expressions are equivalent?

Hint: you don't actually need to "convert" the fraction - you're just interested in how big or small the denominator can be so you can work out how small (or big) the overall fraction can be :smile:
if cos(x)=1cos(x)=1, then cos4(x)=14=1cos^{4}(x)=1^{4}=1

Similarly, if cos(x)=1cos(x)=-1, then cos4(x)=(1)4=1cos^{4}(x)=(-1)^{4}=1
Original post by davros
Are you sure those 2 expressions are equivalent?

Hint: you don't actually need to "convert" the fraction - you're just interested in how big or small the denominator can be so you can work out how small (or big) the overall fraction can be :smile:

That's what I'm trying to help them see, @davros :smile:
Reply 11
That's what I'm trying to help them see, @davros :smile:

Yes I think we were typing at the same time - I was concerned they were going down the wrong route with that invalid fraction conversion and weren't following your excellent advice :smile:
Annotation 2020-06-08 171325.png

The bit that I've highlighted in blue - you should be able to figure out the max and min value that can equal using the info I've posted already. As @davros said, you need to calculate the biggest and smallest denominator, which you can do from your knowledge of the range of cos(x).
Reply 13
if cos(x)=1cos(x)=1, then cos4(x)=14=1cos^{4}(x)=1^{4}=1

Similarly, if cos(x)=1cos(x)=-1, then cos4(x)=(1)4=1cos^{4}(x)=(-1)^{4}=1

so:
1/(8x1)+4 = 1/12 would be one of the values and the other would be 1/(8x0)+4 = 1/4 ??
Yes :smile: This kind of thing (where they ask you for a min or max value involving trig) comes up frequently in A Level maths. It's usually involving sine and cosine, so remember a tip is to remember your trig graphs - the max and min values that sin(x) and cos(x) can be - and figure it out from there. If your equation didn't include an even exponent, then you would have used the min value of cos(x) (i.e. -1) to get the least value, since (-1)^odd would result in a negative value.
Reply 15
Yes :smile: This kind of thing (where they ask you for a min or max value involving trig) comes up frequently in A Level maths. It's usually involving sine and cosine, so remember a tip is to remember your trig graphs - the max and min values that sin(x) and cos(x) can be - and figure it out from there. If your equation didn't include an even exponent, then you would have used the min value of cos(x) (i.e. -1) to get the least value, since (-1)^odd would result in a negative value.

thank you, this is really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest