The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Advice

Hi! I am currently in Yr12 and I take Maths, History, Chemistry A-Levels (which I am predicted AAA in) and I recently did English at AS-Level. I do not take Economics A-Level, which has led to me struggling with my PS for the Economics aspect. I am thinking of applying to the below unis:

1) Oxford - History and Economics
2) LSE - Economic History with Economics
3) UCL - History, Politics and Economics
4) Exeter - Flexible Combined Honours in History and Economics
5) Leeds/ Liverpool - History and Economics

How should I go about my Personal Statement, and are there any easy to understand books that I should read that link History and Economics together? Also, how do I give myself a stronger understanding of Economics even though I was dumb enough not to take the A-Level? :frown:

Thank you! :smile:
Not sure about books, but how about the economic crash of the 1920's? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_of_1920%E2%80%9321
hi there:smile: i applied for economics (and maths joint honours degree) in september and only took econ at as level but found it really interesting so i read a lot of economics book over the summer of year 12! some i enjoyed were predictably irrational, dead aid, the undercover economist, narconomics, seriously curious (the economics explains) and doughnut economics (this one was my favourite) though i wouldn't read all of them just for your personal statement; you don't need to mention that many books (i most certainly didn't!), i just read so many as i read a lot and found them really interesting:biggrin:
in general though, if you want to get an understanding of econ, i'd either read doughnut economics (which is a nice introductory book imo) or do an online course in econ (there are lots of free MOOCs on websites like the open university, i'd give them a google:smile:) or look on youtube (there are quite a few great econ channels on there!). there are also quite a few fairly accessible econ podcasts: planet money, freakonomics and more or less: behind the stats are the ones that i can think of off the top of my head:wink:
best of luck with it!:woo:
Original post by Ghostlady
Not sure about books, but how about the economic crash of the 1920's? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_of_1920%E2%80%9321

thank you! we are studying this for history level but i'll make sure to read more into it! :smile:
Original post by Toastiekid
hi there:smile: i applied for economics (and maths joint honours degree) in september and only took econ at as level but found it really interesting so i read a lot of economics book over the summer of year 12! some i enjoyed were predictably irrational, dead aid, the undercover economist, narconomics, seriously curious (the economics explains) and doughnut economics (this one was my favourite) though i wouldn't read all of them just for your personal statement; you don't need to mention that many books (i most certainly didn't!), i just read so many as i read a lot and found them really interesting:biggrin:
in general though, if you want to get an understanding of econ, i'd either read doughnut economics (which is a nice introductory book imo) or do an online course in econ (there are lots of free MOOCs on websites like the open university, i'd give them a google:smile:) or look on youtube (there are quite a few great econ channels on there!). there are also quite a few fairly accessible econ podcasts: planet money, freakonomics and more or less: behind the stats are the ones that i can think of off the top of my head:wink:
best of luck with it!:woo:

thank you so much! i will definitely check out the books you recommended! :smile:
I recommend look at @historicism chapter on History and Economics: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6438658&p=88085076#post88085076 they have some useful recommendations for both
Original post by PetitePanda
I recommend look at @historicism chapter on History and Economics: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6438658&p=88085076#post88085076 they have some useful recommendations for both

that was really helpful! thanks :smile:

Quick Reply