The Student Room Group

Teachers, Trainees and NQT chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sadie24
Update: Called the first application/school, 49 applications were sent to the 1st school so they are not providing any feedback (not successful).

I've been applying to community, academy and religious schools. I'd apply for anything at the moment full-time or part-time. I'm scared that i'm not going to get a role and maybe it's a sign i shouldn't be a teacher (sorry for the negativity).

I understand that, but i am being told that opportunities for full-time or maternity leave jobs will be closing soon, so i may have to contemplate whether i'll be completing my NQT year this year. Supply agencies have stated they may be long or term supply in September, so maybe i can complete one term of my NQT somewhere. It's been very de-motivating and mentally draining because i feel like i am not good enough to teach due to not being able to be healthy or acquire a job last September.

49 applications is a lot- is this secondary or primary?

I really don't think it's a comment on you- I think it's a comment on the situation. Doing your NQT supply isn't the first choice, but it is still a viable option, and there may still be more jobs coming out.

Even though you graduated last year, your uni should still be willing to help you with applications!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
49 applications is a lot- is this secondary or primary?

I really don't think it's a comment on you- I think it's a comment on the situation. Doing your NQT supply isn't the first choice, but it is still a viable option, and there may still be more jobs coming out.

Even though you graduated last year, your uni should still be willing to help you with applications!

Primary.

The situation is not great, and thanks. True, i hope there is.

I'm unsure if i would be their top priority right now. I wasn't able to finish the rest of my lectures due to being unwell. However, i went back to my university once i graduated for help/update on my NQT year, i felt like i was bothering them and they didn't give me much help. I don't know if it is typical or i should expect them to help me with my application. I could email student services and have my application form checked regarding careers and employment service. Thank you for helping, i do appreciate it :smile:.
Original post by Sadie24
Primary.

The situation is not great, and thanks. True, i hope there is.

I'm unsure if i would be their top priority right now. I wasn't able to finish the rest of my lectures due to being unwell. However, i went back to my university once i graduated for help/update on my NQT year, i felt like i was bothering them and they didn't give me much help. I don't know if it is typical or i should expect them to help me with my application. I could email student services and have my application form checked regarding careers and employment service. Thank you for helping, i do appreciate it :smile:.

I think you should still expect help in securing an NQT role, yes- most unis have an alumni service and want to help their grads find jobs.
Original post by Sadie24

When you are looking for jobs for NQT's, can we still apply for jobs which don't state if they are applicable for NQTS? or as long as the personal specification states 'qualified teacher'?

I would recommend getting in touch with the school to just double check BUT employed teachers aren't able to leave their roles for September now as the deadline to resign has passed. The only people able to start in September will be NQTs or qualified teachers on supply etc.
I think you should still expect help in securing an NQT role, yes- most unis have an alumni service and want to help their grads find jobs.

Hopefully, thanks for the advice.

On a positive note, I've just been notified I've been shortlisted for a temporary nqt teaching role September to the end of autumn term. Not very confident as I haven't been in the classroom or have taught in a while. I have to deliver a 30 minute outdoor socially distanced activity of my own choice. (10 key worker children in Y2-Y3). I was thinking of basketball or a creative arts activity, but unsure. Have you guys got any ideas? It would be very much appreciated :smile:
Original post by airfixfighter
I would recommend getting in touch with the school to just double check BUT employed teachers aren't able to leave their roles for September now as the deadline to resign has passed. The only people able to start in September will be NQTs or qualified teachers on supply etc.

Will check with the supply agency. You are probably right. From what I remember last year, there were alot of NQT jobs uploaded during August. So hopefully the pandemic hasn't stopped all flow of jobs during this period.
Original post by Sadie24
Hopefully, thanks for the advice.

On a positive note, I've just been notified I've been shortlisted for a temporary nqt teaching role September to the end of autumn term. Not very confident as I haven't been in the classroom or have taught in a while. I have to deliver a 30 minute outdoor socially distanced activity of my own choice. (10 key worker children in Y2-Y3). I was thinking of basketball or a creative arts activity, but unsure. Have you guys got any ideas? It would be very much appreciated :smile:

Scavenger hunt? You could maybe do an art activity at the end with things you find, too?

I'd be wary of anything involving sharing equipment at the moment.
Scavenger hunt? You could maybe do an art activity at the end with things you find, too?

I'd be wary of anything involving sharing equipment at the moment.

Okay will do, originally thought of doing a therapy art activity, but it's too long for a 30 minute activity. Therefore thinking of basing activity on 'footgolf'. Pupils will be highlighted safety procedures and and compete against each other in pairs. Pupils' will add up their score all together (aid younger pupils by using column addition as a group). Then we can sit down and compare scores e.g. who hit the ball more, who hit the ball the least. Then would give them all a certificate for participation. Do you think this may be an okay idea for the interview activity?
Original post by Sadie24
Okay will do, originally thought of doing a therapy art activity, but it's too long for a 30 minute activity. Therefore thinking of basing activity on 'footgolf'. Pupils will be highlighted safety procedures and and compete against each other in pairs. Pupils' will add up their score all together (aid younger pupils by using column addition as a group). Then we can sit down and compare scores e.g. who hit the ball more, who hit the ball the least. Then would give them all a certificate for participation. Do you think this may be an okay idea for the interview activity?

It sounds good to me but I'm not Primary!
Original post by Sadie24
Thank you! I wish you the best of luck as well. Found out the 1st school i applied for had 49 applications, so haven't been able to provide feedback for me to improve. Sounds like a good plan :smile:

When you are looking for jobs for NQT's, can we still apply for jobs which don't state if they are applicable for NQTS? or as long as the personal specification states 'qualified teacher'?

Unless it says “unsuitable for NQTs” or “experienced teachers only” then it’s fair game.
@sadie24 - Good Luck with the interview! I’ve applied for one job and hoping more closer to me appear! Though there are some that aren’t too far that I will apply to this weekend.

I’m back on placement at the moment. I am so tired as so not used to being out of the house and moving around so much! I’m enjoying it though, especially seeing people and having a routine again. It’s been nice to teach a bit again though so different to before, I’m loving smaller classes and it feels like it’s been good for everyone being back.

I’m sure it will be a big adjustment when things go back to normal class size wise!! :eek:
(edited 3 years ago)
I only got my job on Tuesday after a lot of applications and seven interviews. My first sets of applications didn’t get shortlisted. This was down to my personal statement. I change my personal statement and was eventually getting a lot more interviews. There was always the odd school where I didn’t get shortlisted with the personal statement. I learnt it’s key to highlight school ethos and values in the first paragraph, as to why your interested in the school and job role. It takes time, but the right school will be out their for you. It’s easy to stress about not having a job for September but don’t panic and keep applying
Original post by lozzielizzie
I only got my job on Tuesday after a lot of applications and seven interviews. My first sets of applications didn’t get shortlisted. This was down to my personal statement. I change my personal statement and was eventually getting a lot more interviews. There was always the odd school where I didn’t get shortlisted with the personal statement. I learnt it’s key to highlight school ethos and values in the first paragraph, as to why your interested in the school and job role. It takes time, but the right school will be out their for you. It’s easy to stress about not having a job for September but don’t panic and keep applying

Congrats on the job, and I agree with all this advice!

I think it's also really important to tailor your statement to the personal spec, too!
Ah reading this thread is making me super anxious about doing my pgce in September. Seems like getting a job isn’t as easy as perhaps i has originally assumed. I’ll be qualified in secondary maths but do you think I’d still have to make a lot of applications?

I’ve been rejected for so many grad jobs post interview I’m pretty terrified that I’d be awful when it comes to an interview for a teaching role!

Also when did you guys start applying for jobs?
Original post by fefssdf
Ah reading this thread is making me super anxious about doing my pgce in September. Seems like getting a job isn’t as easy as perhaps i has originally assumed. I’ll be qualified in secondary maths but do you think I’d still have to make a lot of applications?

I’ve been rejected for so many grad jobs post interview I’m pretty terrified that I’d be awful when it comes to an interview for a teaching role!

Also when did you guys start applying for jobs?

Bear in mind that a lot of people on this thread are applying for primary jobs- which is a very different job market. Also, bear in mind that the teaching jobs market is weird at the moment- a lot of schools aren't advertising vacancies because they don't know what things will be like in September.

You shouldn't assume you'll walk into a teaching job- but equally for maths in some areas of the country, you might be the only applicant- so you'd have to be pretty rubbish for them not to offer you the job. Teaching interviews are very different to other types of interviews in many ways.

I started applying for jobs just before the Easter holidays during my PGCE (in 2019) and had a job by May (secondary science). I was applying for jobs in an area of the country where there isn't such a teacher shortage, and away from where I did my PGCE, which can be a disadvantage as well. I got a job on my 4th interview- previously losing out a couple of times to people who were already known to the school.

Anyway, you'll get loads of advice next year about applying for jobs, so I wouldn't worry about it yet!
@lozzielizzie - congrats on the job and thanks for the advice!!

I’m starting to get worried about not getting a job. I applied for one last week and had an interview but didn’t get the job. I got good feedback though and feel less nervous after getting to have a virtual interview experience! I can’t see any I want to apply for at the moment so not sure I will have a job for September.

I should have started applying earlier but wanted to wait till I felt more prepared and had finished work for my course.

@fefsdfsdf
Maths is a good subject to train in as there are more vacancies than other subjects. You might also end up having interviews about your placement schools and get a job that way. Check eteach and tes to see what jobs are about at the moment, though there would have been more in previous months. I’ve just checked and there are still Maths jobs in my area

I just started applying a few weeks ago and feel a bit worried about getting a job now so I’d advise applying earlier!

Most people on my course applied from Easter onwards.

Good Luck on your course! I can’t believe I am very nearly done (still have a virtual assessment to do).

I’m starting to get worried about not getting a job. I applied for one last week and had an interview but didn’t get the job. I got good feedback though and feel less nervous after getting to have a virtual interview experience! I can’t see any I want to apply for at the moment so not sure I will have a job for September.

I should have started applying earlier but wanted to wait till I felt more prepared and had finished work for my course.

@fefsdfsdf
Maths is a good subject to train in as there are more vacancies than other subjects. You might also end up having interviews at your placement schools and get a job that way. Check eteach and tes to see what jobs are about at the moment, though there would have been more in previous months. I’ve just checked and there are still Maths jobs in my area

I just started applying a few weeks ago and feel a bit worried about getting a job now so I’d advise applying earlier!

Good Luck on your course! I can’t believe I am very nearly done (still have a virtual assessment to do).
Original post by Olives&chocolate

Hopefully something will come up in the next few weeks, but if it doesn't then I really do think there will be more vacancies in September than usual. I'd also consider getting signed up with some supply and possibly tutoring agencies- I think there will be lots of demand for both come September (or maybe even before).
Original post by Olives&chocolate

@fefsdfsdf
Maths is a good subject to train in as there are more vacancies than other subjects. You might also end up having interviews about your placement schools and get a job that way. Check eteach and tes to see what jobs are about at the moment, though there would have been more in previous months. I’ve just checked and there are still Maths jobs in my area

Thanks so much for the reply! :smile: best of luck with your future career :smile:
Hopefully something will come up in the next few weeks, but if it doesn't then I really do think there will be more vacancies in September than usual. I'd also consider getting signed up with some supply and possibly tutoring agencies- I think there will be lots of demand for both come September (or maybe even before).

Yeah, I’ve now started to look at supply agencies and make enquiries. I didn’t want to go down the supply route straight away but think it’s the best option as no other jobs that are on my radar atm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending