The Student Room Group

MSc Sustainable Development (Sussex)

Hi everyone!
I just accepted my offer for MSc Sustainable Development at Sussex.
Anyone else is joining this course in September?

Additional note:
I received 3 offers
a) MSc Sustainable Development (Sussex)
b) MA Development Studies (Sussex)
c) MSc Environment and Sustainable Development (UCL)

After much consideration (budget, locations and course details), I chose MSc Sustainable Development in Sussex. I hope I'm making the right decision and looking forward to studying there.
Reply 1
Hey, I'm in the middle of application process for MSc Global Health at Brighton (taught at the Sussex campus at Falmer). I just received an invitation for a Skype interview. Did you have an interview? Any insights you can share?
Reply 2
Original post by BellaT81
Hey, I'm in the middle of application process for MSc Global Health at Brighton (taught at the Sussex campus at Falmer). I just received an invitation for a Skype interview. Did you have an interview? Any insights you can share?

No, they don't have interview for both courses I applied at Sussex.

Anyway, good luck with your application! All the best.:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RaeYaa30
No, they don't have interview for both courses I applied at Sussex.

Anyway, good luck with your application! All the best.:smile:

Thanks.
Hi everyone!

Additional note:
I received 3 offers

After much consideration (budget, locations and course details), I chose MSc Sustainable Development in Sussex. I hope I'm making the right decision and looking forward to studying there.

Hey! Congrats on the offers and good luck at Sussex!
I have applied for the same MSc at UCL but waiting to hear back. Do you mind stating what you studied at uni and your final mark etc please?

Thankyou :smile:
Hello!
I'm thinking about applying to Sussex next year (MA in Gender & Development). What is your background ? Do you have professional experiences, have done internships etc ?
Thank you and congratulations :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by fran_hodge
Hey! Congrats on the offers and good luck at Sussex!
I have applied for the same MSc at UCL but waiting to hear back. Do you mind stating what you studied at uni and your final mark etc please?

Thankyou :smile:

Hi! Thank you. I waited for almost 6 months before getting my offer from UCL. I completed my application back in December 2019 and never received any replies from them. This is one of the reasons, I am more keen to study in Sussex because of the communication I had with them throughout the application process. Nevertheless, UCL is still a good choice, I believe you will receive your good news soon.

However, as I am an international student and a mature student myself (received my first degree in engineering in 2011), my background of study does not really matter.

Hope this helps you. Good luck and all the best!
Reply 7
Original post by seldemone
Hello!
I'm thinking about applying to Sussex next year (MA in Gender & Development). What is your background ? Do you have professional experiences, have done internships etc ?
Thank you and congratulations :smile:

Hello!
I studied chemical engineering for my first degree. Then work as an engineer for a year before changing my career to my now profession. Currently, I worked with a government-linked cooperation, where I deal with sustainability matters particularly related to agriculture and environment issues. I have worked for almost 9 years.

Anyway, all the best for your application next year.
Hello!
I studied chemical engineering for my first degree. Then work as an engineer for a year before changing my career to my now profession. Currently, I worked with a government-linked cooperation, where I deal with sustainability matters particularly related to agriculture and environment issues. I have worked for almost 9 years.

Anyway, all the best for your application next year.

So i'm guessing you will just head back into your field at higher pay! That's smart! I guess in that scenario you won't need the fancier name of UCL. Most of us doing postgrad in Europe now have to try and chase the prestige since we're going to start our careers with MSc...lol. Though i made a similar decision to you and chose a university that appealed to me more than just purely ranking. Had an offer for Manchester but am starting in the Netherlands in September (University of Groningen). Hope you enjoy your time in the UK!
Reply 9
Original post by Realitysreflexx
So i'm guessing you will just head back into your field at higher pay! That's smart! I guess in that scenario you won't need the fancier name of UCL. Most of us doing postgrad in Europe now have to try and chase the prestige since we're going to start our careers with MSc...lol. Though i made a similar decision to you and chose a university that appealed to me more than just purely ranking. Had an offer for Manchester but am starting in the Netherlands in September (University of Groningen). Hope you enjoy your time in the UK!

Partly true. I will eventually head back to my current workplace upon graduation later. In term of ranking, Sussex's development studies/sustainable development is no.1 in the world. So, I guess it still means something and have some accreditation to it...LoL. But yes, UCL seems fancier in the CV and perhaps boost up my image.

Anyway, all the best in the Netherlands!
Reply 10
Hi everyone!

Additional note:
I received 3 offers

Hello!

My goodness the world has changed since you accepted your offer! I hope things are going well for you.

I am considering exactly the same MSc at Sussex, but the online only version. My other choices are:

MSc (online) in International Development at SOAS
MSc (online) International Development at Edinburgh
MSc International Development by Distance Learning at Birmingham

Of course, globally speaking, there are many other options!

My concern about Sussex is that I may get lost in the science and technology aspects as so many modules are shared with Energy Policy.

My BA was in History and it was a long time ago (1999!), I have worked for charities/social sector all my life and the past 7 years for an international development charity. Science/energy has not been much of a theme during those 7 years ... but it would be very interesting to learn more about it.

I also like that (for the online course) there is no dissertation at Sussex. This fits better with working life/family. Although it worries me slightly that the Masters could then be taken less seriously and it would preclude advanced academic study in the future if that was a road I decided I would take.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the course. I might also start a new thread (This is my first experience of posting on Student Room.)
What did you decide? I'm currently debating the following:King's - MSc Emerging Economies and International DevelopmentSussex - MA International Education and Development StudiesSOAS - MSc Development StudiesUCL - MA Education and International Development
Hi everyone!

Additional note:
I received 3 offers

What was your GPA and when did you applied to this course ?
Reply 13
Hi, I'm right now looking to apply to Sussex as well for the same MSc Sustainable Development Course. I'm curious to find out how it has worked out for you after one year? Do you regret turning down UCL, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 14
Original post by BettyBr
Hello!

My goodness the world has changed since you accepted your offer! I hope things are going well for you.

I am considering exactly the same MSc at Sussex, but the online only version. My other choices are:

MSc (online) in International Development at SOAS
MSc (online) International Development at Edinburgh
MSc International Development by Distance Learning at Birmingham

Of course, globally speaking, there are many other options!

My concern about Sussex is that I may get lost in the science and technology aspects as so many modules are shared with Energy Policy.

My BA was in History and it was a long time ago (1999!), I have worked for charities/social sector all my life and the past 7 years for an international development charity. Science/energy has not been much of a theme during those 7 years ... but it would be very interesting to learn more about it.

I also like that (for the online course) there is no dissertation at Sussex. This fits better with working life/family. Although it worries me slightly that the Masters could then be taken less seriously and it would preclude advanced academic study in the future if that was a road I decided I would take.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the course. I might also start a new thread (This is my first experience of posting on Student Room.)

Hello ! Sorry to write you out of the blue, but I am desperately trying to find some piece of information of the two online Master programmes you are mentioning : MSc (online) in International Development at SOAS and the MSc (online) Sustainable Development in Sussex.

Which one did you finally choose?

I must admit I have a preference for the MSc at SOAS, but I would love to have the feedback of someone who pursued the online version. Thank you very much for the answer and I hope you are fully satisfied with what you are studying at the moment.

Cheers
Original post by cocoCH
Hello ! Sorry to write you out of the blue, but I am desperately trying to find some piece of information of the two online Master programmes you are mentioning : MSc (online) in International Development at SOAS and the MSc (online) Sustainable Development in Sussex.

Which one did you finally choose?

I must admit I have a preference for the MSc at SOAS, but I would love to have the feedback of someone who pursued the online version. Thank you very much for the answer and I hope you are fully satisfied with what you are studying at the moment.

Cheers

Seconded - I'm curious about what the backgrounds of the other students were, what the job opportunties are like afterwards, and any other general info on the course.
Hi, would love to ask you some questions about the Sussex MSc Sustainable Development. Could you do an overall review of it? Employability, modules structure, age and experience of the cohort, recognition by employers, connection to employers, what fields alumni work in afterward?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending