The Student Room Group

Moving to north england

I’m really scared to move to North East England, I’m from multicultural London and I’m not white. Are people in North East typically friendly or the stereotypical racist whites? I have anxiety about moving out to a predominantly white area. I feel like I’ll just not fit in and make no friends

Scroll to see replies

I’m a BAME in the north east. There are racist people but everywhere has - tbh the type around here that would be are obnoxiously annoying so you would avoid them anyway because honestly most people don’t really go near them except their own friendship group. Most of the people here are friendly, especially in schools - you’ll find some that are ignorant but they won’t be stereotypically racist except the very few that are. You will definitely find some friends as new people have that appeal and some people will approach you since you are new. My friend was also new and a BAME from London and didn’t find any difficulties finding friends. Tbh i have a lot of friends that are from different ethnicities, dominantly white though. You could join a youth group if you are worried about predominantly white - there’s a large community with your ethnic group near the north of north east where I’m from. I actually was in a youth group and there was a lot of people my ethnicity (tbh I didn’t like most of them and I rather stick with my white friends - honestly too much drama I couldn’t be arsed). I’m sorry for rambling I need to sleep but don’t worry about not fitting in because you’ll find some friends easily here :h:
Original post by indybrookes
I’m really scared to move to North East England, I’m from multicultural London and I’m not white. Are people in North East typically friendly or the stereotypical racist whites? I have anxiety about moving out to a predominantly white area. I feel like I’ll just not fit in and make no friends

Wow! This smells racist.

You live in a predominately white country if you can’t fit in everywhere then are you even British?

This is really weird.
Reply 3
Original post by paul514
Wow! This smells racist.

You live in a predominately white country if you can’t fit in everywhere then are you even British?

This is really weird.

How is it weird? Leaving a diverse city such as London as a person of colour to north east London IS going to be uncomfortable. Open your mind. It’s easy to fit in in London but in predominantly white areas you are going to stand out
There's full on racists in London fam 😂 you'll get the same treatment anywhere. There are ethnic enclaves up north as well and near my way in northish Midlands. Obvs being an extreme minority whatever ur race is, you'll be a sore thumb and may or may not be targeted. Grin it chin it and bear it. This is England bruv. There's mostly white ppl lol. Unless you meet a psychopath your head won't be on a stick. But during these George Floyd rallies and looting times, be careful.
Depends on which part of the North East you are moving too, you will probably find the biggest thing to get used to is the vast difference in the size of city and things like public transport. In some areas of the North East it is non existent.

The North East in general has a reputation for being a lot more friendly and slower pace of life than London.

Where abouts in the North East are you moving to, city or more rural?
I'm in the North East and I'd say we are generally friendly. There's different races all over where I live and people get along just fine.
As long as you quickly familiarise yourself with the Parmo you'll be alright 😂
Which part of the North East are you moving to?
Reply 7
Where are you going. If it is a nice part of Newcastle, I suppose that would be bearable. If it is a small town then I would be worried and I wouldn't do it. I would find a house share in London instead. I am from the north and tbh I mostly hate it. The only part of the north I like is Liverpool because it has nice buildings and the scousers are friendly and outgoing. Apart from that it is mostly boring, there are few graduate jobs, the poverty rates are awful, and loads of areas are full of chavvy brexit voters. The small towns are generally blighted, boring and depressing.
Original post by Scrax
Where are you going. If it is a nice part of Newcastle, I suppose that would be bearable. If it is a small town then I would be worried and I wouldn't do it. I would find a house share in London instead. I am from the north and tbh I mostly hate it. The only part of the north I like is Liverpool because it has nice buildings and the scousers are friendly and outgoing. Apart from that it is mostly boring, there are few graduate jobs, the poverty rates are awful, and loads of areas are full of chavvy brexit voters. The small towns are generally blighted, boring and depressing.

I live in a small town that isn't at all like that :/
I live in a small town in the NE too and its far, far better than living in a city.. any city, especially London.

It a completely different life, no rushing around, no overcrowded public transport.. at times no public transport at all.:smile:

People actually talk to you if you are on public transport and most places neighbours talk to each. As long as you are careful where you choose to live you will enjoy it as long as you don't want that London life.
Original post by Anonnorth
I live in a small town in the NE too and its far, far better than living in a city.. any city, especially London.

It a completely different life, no rushing around, no overcrowded public transport.. at times no public transport at all.:smile:

People actually talk to you if you are on public transport and most places neighbours talk to each. As long as you are careful where you choose to live you will enjoy it as long as you don't want that London life.

Exactly!
Original post by paul514
Wow! This smells racist.

This is really weird.

The more north you get the less multicultural it is. No such thing as reverse racism anyway. My point was I want to not be the only non white person who sticks out in a white area. I like meeting people from all ends of the world.
Original post by Anonnorth
Depends on which part of the North East you are moving too, you will probably find the biggest thing to get used to is the vast difference in the size of city and things like public transport. In some areas of the North East it is non existent.

The North East in general has a reputation for being a lot more friendly and slower pace of life than London.

Where abouts in the North East are you moving to, city or more rural?

I’m still undecided, I might move to Middlesbrough or Redcar
Please don't, I live in the North East and I don't know why anyone would want to come live in the same part of the UK as me :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Dont be weak
Original post by SANDERS101
Dont be weak

It’s not a weakness it’s a concern. I’ll uppercut any jaw that wants to acc be racist

Eww... Just don't bump into my ex.
You do realise... you’re in a white country... right?
Original post by lazerbeem
I live in a small town that isn't at all like that :/

PRSOM
The more north you get the less multicultural it is. No such thing as reverse racism anyway. My point was I want to not be the only non white person who sticks out in a white area. I like meeting people from all ends of the world.

There are many non white people in the NE but it is predominately white in this country. However its very unlikely you will be the only non white person

Quick Reply

Latest