The Student Room Group

Terrified I'm really ill...reassurance please

I'm really scared I have a heart arrhythmia. I'm having an ECG tomorrow but I'm really terrified...I've been diagnosed with iron deficiency (a ferritin level of 9.5) but not anaemia as my haemoglobin is perfect and have just been feeling really, really unwell which is not usual for just iron deficiency. Things like hot face and ears and cold body but no fever, waking up with nocturnal panic attacks, loss of appetite, really bad anxiety (but no anxiety history), fast heart rate that increases during the panic attack-like episodes, feeling a bit off balance, exhausted muscles (but could be as I havent slept properly for the past month due to the nocturnal panic attack things...), mind feels empty, feels like the walls are closing in sometimes, pressure in the side of my nose and in my ears, swollen neck glands on and off, sometimes a pressure in top of chest when I stand up etc. When my iron deficiency was identified, they tested me for all the thyroid hormones plus my other hormones and everything was normal. I have always been very healthy and am 22 years old but I am a veggie which could be the iron issue.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? I can't cope anymore with the symptoms and doctors really aren't sure what the cause is as things have been normal so far. Praying the ECG is normal too...
Reply 1
This sounds like a combination of anxiety and your anaemia. If you have concerns tell your doctor and ask for their input. It's what they're there for.

ECGs aren't anything to worry about either really, I've had quite a few. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them?
I know that you said that you have no history of anxiety, but a lot of those symptoms come with anxiety. I experienced a similar thing, starting from a smaller issue where I'd get worried about it, creating anxiety. However anxiety causes a lot of further physical symptoms (including hot flashes, fast heart rate, feeling empty, exhausted and pressure) due to the fight or flight response that your body perceives to be the issue (think of it like the side affects of adrenaline rushes). If the ECG is normal, I'd recommend trying therapy to see if this helps. I experienced something very similar, and turns out I have anxiety however therapy did help me become aware of when I was experiencing things related to anxiety or if there was actually an issue.
Reply 3
Original post by Pathway
This sounds like a combination of anxiety and your anaemia. If you have concerns tell your doctor and ask for their input. It's what they're there for.

ECGs aren't anything to worry about either really, I've had quite a few. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them?

Thank you for replying, that's reassuring to know. I've spoken quite a lot to my doctor and they have said it definitely could be anxiety and anaemia but as the symptoms are common in many things they want to make sure it's not something more serious. With an ECG, what happens if they pick up something unusual? Do you have to have another one?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I know that you said that you have no history of anxiety, but a lot of those symptoms come with anxiety. I experienced a similar thing, starting from a smaller issue where I'd get worried about it, creating anxiety. However anxiety causes a lot of further physical symptoms (including hot flashes, fast heart rate, feeling empty, exhausted and pressure) due to the fight or flight response that your body perceives to be the issue (think of it like the side affects of adrenaline rushes). If the ECG is normal, I'd recommend trying therapy to see if this helps. I experienced something very similar, and turns out I have anxiety however therapy did help me become aware of when I was experiencing things related to anxiety or if there was actually an issue.

Thank you for being reassuring!! Yeah this is why I'm confused...during the day I also am not really worried about anything (apart from now my health obviously which preoccupies my mind all the time) but I dont experience racing thoughts or panic about anything else. Maybe it's subconscious? Okay great, its nice to know that someone else has experienced something like this! It's come on all of a sudden and its been 4 weeks now so I'm desperate to get a final answer plus to get rid of it! Some days are definitely better than others so maybe it could be anxiety related and I just cant identify an obvious cause.
Reply 5
Thank you for replying, that's reassuring to know. I've spoken quite a lot to my doctor and they have said it definitely could be anxiety and anaemia but as the symptoms are common in many things they want to make sure it's not something more serious. With an ECG, what happens if they pick up something unusual? Do you have to have another one?

Well put it this way, they are just ruling things out and if they find something, that's good - it means it can be monitored and treated. Try not to worry too much, be kind to yourself.

Yes, but I have a genetic condition which has affected my heart (causing things like arrhythmias), which is worsened by a long term eating disorder (anorexia nervosa). I'm looked after by a tertiary care cardiologist for management of my cardiac issues. I've had various ECGs, short ones and longer term ones to monitor things (24hr ones and 72hr ones), echocardiograms, and various other tests. It's different for everyone how it's managed because it depends on what it is - but I wouldn't worry anyway because it might not be relevant. Even if it is, you have to deal with it and worrying won't help (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't stress about it or my other health issues).

Honestly, it's not something worth worrying about, especially as you don't know yet and you could be worrying for nothing.
Thank you for being reassuring!! Yeah this is why I'm confused...during the day I also am not really worried about anything (apart from now my health obviously which preoccupies my mind all the time) but I dont experience racing thoughts or panic about anything else. Maybe it's subconscious? Okay great, its nice to know that someone else has experienced something like this! It's come on all of a sudden and its been 4 weeks now so I'm desperate to get a final answer plus to get rid of it! Some days are definitely better than others so maybe it could be anxiety related and I just cant identify an obvious cause.

I was the same way! I couldn't see a leading cause for my anxiety apart from my health so I think it is something that can be subconscious, whatever your body perceives as a "threat" basically. However, the right help does work and if anxiety is the case, just know that things can get better and it will become easier to manage. I always found my symptoms to be worse at night which is probably due to having less distractions than I would in the day. I am also veggie so I think if my iron levels are low it did tend to intensify the symptoms (probably because I am anxious about the anaemia ones as well, thinking that it could be something worse!) I hope your ECG goes well and that you start to feel better soon!
I'm really scared I have a heart arrhythmia. I'm having an ECG tomorrow but I'm really terrified...I've been diagnosed with iron deficiency (a ferritin level of 9.5) but not anaemia as my haemoglobin is perfect and have just been feeling really, really unwell which is not usual for just iron deficiency. Things like hot face and ears and cold body but no fever, waking up with nocturnal panic attacks, loss of appetite, really bad anxiety (but no anxiety history), fast heart rate that increases during the panic attack-like episodes, feeling a bit off balance, exhausted muscles (but could be as I havent slept properly for the past month due to the nocturnal panic attack things...), mind feels empty, feels like the walls are closing in sometimes, pressure in the side of my nose and in my ears, swollen neck glands on and off, sometimes a pressure in top of chest when I stand up etc. When my iron deficiency was identified, they tested me for all the thyroid hormones plus my other hormones and everything was normal. I have always been very healthy and am 22 years old but I am a veggie which could be the iron issue.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? I can't cope anymore with the symptoms and doctors really aren't sure what the cause is as things have been normal so far. Praying the ECG is normal too...

Sorry to hear you're going through so much right now.
It seems like a lot of what you're experiencing could be linked back to anxiety and you're getting yourself worked up because you're worried about it being something more than what it is. Hopefully your results come back normal and that it is just iron deficiency and they'll medicate you appropriately for it. Let the doctor know when you see them tomorrow about all of this though. Even if you do have arrhythmia, I'm sure there's things they can do for that or to make you feel more comfortable. Best of luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Pathway
Well put it this way, they are just ruling things out and if they find something, that's good - it means it can be monitored and treated. Try not to worry too much, be kind to yourself.

Yes, but I have a genetic condition which has affected my heart (causing things like arrhythmias), which is worsened by a long term eating disorder (anorexia nervosa). I'm looked after by a tertiary care cardiologist for management of my cardiac issues. I've had various ECGs, short ones and longer term ones to monitor things (24hr ones and 72hr ones), echocardiograms, and various other tests. It's different for everyone how it's managed because it depends on what it is - but I wouldn't worry anyway because it might not be relevant. Even if it is, you have to deal with it and worrying won't help (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't stress about it or my other health issues).

Honestly, it's not something worth worrying about, especially as you don't know yet and you could be worrying for nothing.

Okay yes that's very true, it really could be nothing. Something in my gut tells me it's not cardiac related but then my recent anxiety has blown it up and not finding a concrete cause so far (neither by doctors nor by scouring Mr Google...) hasn't helped so it's now a possibility in my head haha. Thank you so much for all of your advice, it's made me feel better about it all. I'm glad you're getting the care you need; make sure you look after yourself as you're definitely worth it! I'll update you all when I've got the results :smile:
Reply 9
I was the same way! I couldn't see a leading cause for my anxiety apart from my health so I think it is something that can be subconscious, whatever your body perceives as a "threat" basically. However, the right help does work and if anxiety is the case, just know that things can get better and it will become easier to manage. I always found my symptoms to be worse at night which is probably due to having less distractions than I would in the day. I am also veggie so I think if my iron levels are low it did tend to intensify the symptoms (probably because I am anxious about the anaemia ones as well, thinking that it could be something worse!) I hope your ECG goes well and that you start to feel better soon!

Yes exactly, my health is the only thing I get anxious about!! That's really good to know, thank you. Yes I totally agree, during the day I have loads of distractions and find that if I distract myself during these panic attacks then I immediately calm down. I will definitely be looking into therapy and anxiety-management techniques if all is clear tomorrow as it's clearly not helping the problem regardless of whatever it is!! Thank you so much, I will update you all on the ECG results haha!
Okay yes that's very true, it really could be nothing. Something in my gut tells me it's not cardiac related but then my recent anxiety has blown it up and not finding a concrete cause so far (neither by doctors nor by scouring Mr Google...) hasn't helped so it's now a possibility in my head haha. Thank you so much for all of your advice, it's made me feel better about it all. I'm glad you're getting the care you need; make sure you look after yourself as you're definitely worth it! I'll update you all when I've got the results :smile:

Be kind to yourself - anxiety can really do a number on how you perceive things. Spending time to work through what your thoughts are connected to those feelings might help. Could be done in writing, or art?

I hope things do turn out alright, and if anything is wrong, then they will catch it and manage it with you. :hugs:

Thanks, things are okay and I'm getting cared for by really compassionate and knowledgeable doctors. Very grateful for that!

Please do update us if you feel comfortable. Only ever a message away should you need to talk. You'll get through this tough spot.
Original post by -Eirlys-
Sorry to hear you're going through so much right now.
It seems like a lot of what you're experiencing could be linked back to anxiety and you're getting yourself worked up because you're worried about it being something more than what it is. Hopefully your results come back normal and that it is just iron deficiency and they'll medicate you appropriately for it. Let the doctor know when you see them tomorrow about all of this though. Even if you do have arrhythmia, I'm sure there's things they can do for that or to make you feel more comfortable. Best of luck!

Thank you! Yes I think so, I think also the fact that I can't just be physically examined by a doctor due to the situation has made it a whole lot worse. My blood test was also cancelled and pushed back a week which delayed the iron deficiency diagnosis so it's all just gone on so long! Yes I really hope so, I'm taking in as much iron as I can plus taking the tablets they gave me. I shall do, I will keep updating them all on everything. Fingers crossed, I'm just looking forward to having some relief now. I will let you all know how it goes!
Original post by Pathway
Be kind to yourself - anxiety can really do a number on how you perceive things. Spending time to work through what your thoughts are connected to those feelings might help. Could be done in writing, or art?

I hope things do turn out alright, and if anything is wrong, then they will catch it and manage it with you. :hugs:

Thanks, things are okay and I'm getting cared for by really compassionate and knowledgeable doctors. Very grateful for that!

Please do update us if you feel comfortable. Only ever a message away should you need to talk. You'll get through this tough spot.

I agree, it can really amplify everything! I've been doing a lot of art but I think I'm going to start journaling again as words have always been my thing. Thank you so much, you're so kind and it means a lot! That's good, it makes me happy knowing you're being properly cared for as it does make all the difference. I shall do! Thank you again, and same to you, I'm always here <3
I agree, it can really amplify everything! I've been doing a lot of art but I think I'm going to start journaling again as words have always been my thing. Thank you so much, you're so kind and it means a lot! That's good, it makes me happy knowing you're being properly cared for as it does make all the difference. I shall do! Thank you again, and same to you, I'm always here <3

Thanks! :h:
Hi everyone! So update: during the ECG, I had a panic attack episode which wasn't great lol as I couldn't move and had to wear a mask. But, results showed that my heart is healthy and normal, it was just beating a bit fast. So I've been referred to cardiology and they might put me on a 24 hour monitor just to see. All in all nothing serious by the looks of it which is reassuring!! :smile:
Hi everyone! So update: during the ECG, I had a panic attack episode which wasn't great lol as I couldn't move and had to wear a mask. But, results showed that my heart is healthy and normal, it was just beating a bit fast. So I've been referred to cardiology and they might put me on a 24 hour monitor just to see. All in all nothing serious by the looks of it which is reassuring!! :smile:

Glad to hear! Sorry that you had a panic attack, that does sound like an uncomfortable experience but I hope you're feeling a little better now.
Glad to hear! Sorry that you had a panic attack, that does sound like an uncomfortable experience but I hope you're feeling a little better now.

I am thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest