The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official Imperial College London Applicants 2021 Thread

Hi there! :smile:
Thanks for visiting :tsr:
Please be aware that this discussion thread was for people applying to Imperial for a 2021 start.

To chat to users for September 2022 start, click here >>

Or, to browse other conversations about imperial, click here >>

Haven't seen a 2021 Admissions thread yet so I am starting this one! Copied the questions from the 2021 one lol (sorry). So yeah, go ahead and write!

Introductions:
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
2)What subject(s) are thinking of applying for at Imperial?
3)What were your GCSE Grades?
4)Why Imperial?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Imperial what other unis are you thinking of applying?
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Imperial?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one?

Volunteer Note: You can find a massive list of applicants' threads for other universities here. :woo:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, international student here.
1. Studying Pure Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science (not A-levels though, it's our equivalent in the Caribbean)

2. Mathematics and Computer Science (BEng)

3. Did in GCSE equivalent: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, History, Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, English Language, English Literature, Information Technology and Spanish.

4. Honestly, I don't know. I guess I like the focus on sciences and the fact that it's in London. I've visited London a few times before.

5. Ummm, depends on my grades this year but Southampton, QMUL, Kent and Reading seem like the most likely choices. Actually, Imperial is a bit of a reach for me so it may be the first to leave my list lol. And I'm also applying to schools in Canada as well.

6. No, but I've been to the campus area so I got a good look at it.

7. Key Club, Environmental Club, Karate (probably not really going to help but worth listing). Also, I joined a coding workshop and learnt some web development skills and have made a mobile app.

8. No, Math + Comp Sci applicants to Imperial are exempt from the MAT (thank goodness).
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by CaribStudent2021
Hi, international student here.
1. Studying Pure Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science (not A-levels though, it's our equivalent in the Caribbean)

2. Mathematics and Computer Science (BEng)

3. Did in GCSE equivalent: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, History, Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, English Language, English Literature, Information Technology and Spanish.

4. Honestly, I don't know. I guess I like the focus on sciences and the fact that it's in London. I've visited London a few times before.

5. Ummm, depends on my grades this year but Southampton, QMUL, Kent and Reading seem like the most likely choices. Actually, Imperial is a bit of a reach for me so it may be the first to leave my list lol. And I'm also applying to schools in Canada as well.

6. No, but I've been to the campus area so I got a good look at it.

7. Key Club, Environmental Club, Karate (probably not really going to help but worth listing). Also, I joined a coding workshop and learnt some web development skills and have made a mobile app.

8. No, Math + Comp Sci applicants to Imperial are exempt from the MAT (thank goodness).

hahaha well good luck to you :smile:
Yeah, thanks. What course are you applying to?
Reply 4
1) biology, chemistry, maths, English literature, welsh bacc (5A*)
2) Medicine
3)A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*Distinction
4) nice place, good course, very good uni
5)Cambridge, Exeter, Bristol
6) nope... coronavirus
7) essay competitions, reading around subject, welsh back individual project
8) BMAT

Original post by CaribStudent2021
Yeah, thanks. What course are you applying to?

Sorry, forgot to introduce myself lol
Original post by 1st superstar

Thanks for the tag! Just tagging in @StrawberryDreams :smile:
Nice stats:smile:. Good luck to you as well.
Reply 8
There was one already but it went like 2 and a half months with zero activity :colondollar: so I'll just copy the FAQs I had on that one.
I'm in first year here doing physics btw
Also don't forget the existence of the Ask-a-student thread too: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6421814

Do I need a load of extra-curricular activities on my personal statement?
The most important thing is that you explain why you chose this subject and show how you express your interest in the subject outside the classroom - could be books, clubs at school, essay competitions, work experience etc. If it's unrelated then don't talk about it much. Nothing is mandatory, but every little helps.

When am I going to hear back?
Whenever they feel like it. It's possible that you will be waiting for several months to hear back. Just remember: Imperial take ages.

It's been x amount of time and I haven't heard anything, am I rejected?
No.

Am I less likely to get an offer if I've been waiting this long?
Who knows. Probably not.

Other people I know who applied after/at the same time as me are getting offers. Does this mean I'm rejected?
No.

I've not heard anything back, should I call them up and ask what's going on with it?
Well it won't get it done any faster if that's what you wanted. Chances are they haven't gotten to yours yet. Some departments may have a pooling system if they're not sure about an application. I do not know which.

They said they'd get back within x number of weeks and they haven't, does this mean I'm rejected?
No.

I've applied just before the January deadline, am I less likely to get an offer because of it?
No.

I'm an international, what will they do about the interview?
Either you will have a Skype interview, or if they are unable to interview you, you may receive a higher-than-usual offer. Probably depends on your course though.

Do I have to wear a suit to the interview?
No.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've been looking for this thread for ages!

1. Biology, Chemistry and Maths - 2/3 A* hopefully
2. Medicine
3. 9 Grade 9's and one Grade 8
4. Science based uni, cool location and great course
5. UCL, King's, St George's
6. Nope
7. Essay competition, olympiads and wider reading at the moment
8. UCAT and BMAT
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by studyingpeach
I've been looking for this thread for ages!

1. Biology, Chemistry and Maths - 2/3 A* hopefully
2. Medicine
3. 9 Grade 9's and one Grade 8
4. Science based uni, cool location and great course
5. UCL, King's, St George's
6. Nope
7. Essay competitions and wider reading at the moment
8. UCAT and BMAT

haha cool, which essay competitions?
1. Biology-A*, Chemistry-A*, Maths-A*, EPQ-A*
2. Medicine
3. 99988887766A*B
4. Their research facilitates are amazing there. Their medical course is integrated and I prefer that over PBL courses. Also, it's in London and lived in London all my life. Tbh i'm contemplating between imperial and ucl.
5. Cambridge, UCL, King's, Newcastle
6. No
7. olympiads, wider reading, writing articles for my school's medical newsletter
8.BMAT
I did the Newnham Biological Sciences Essay Competition - what about you?
I did the Newnham Biological Sciences Essay Competition - what about you?

same
and the:
peterhouse kelvin prize
science communication prize -biochem society
royal college of surgeons of Edinburgh essay prize
which question did you do for the peterhouse kelvin prize? i chose the first question on cordiceps but i chickened out so never sent it because my writing skills aren't best
woah that's a lot of essays! which question did you do for the newnham one - I did the one on bioinformatics
woah that's a lot of essays! which question did you do for the newnham one - I did the one on bioinformatics

I did the tree pathogen one lol
nice - from what I heard, i think most people did the organoids one
What’s the Edinburgh prize thing? I swear they’re all for Med students at uni
Original post by Anonymous
What’s the Edinburgh prize thing? I swear they’re all for Med students at uni

It was back in october now, they had a essay comp as part of their medicine symposium. I managed to get runner up tho somehow

Latest

Trending

Trending