The Student Room Group

BLM protesters vandalise Winston Churchill statue

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Churchill was undoubtedly a flawed man and ultimately a product of his time, and since so many members of BLM and the like have demonstrated that they don't know how to view history in context, I'm not surprised they targeted it. It's annoying, but somewhat understandable.

I was far more enraged by that chinless POS who tried set fire to the flags on the Cenotaph.
(edited 3 years ago)
Churchill's generation made great sacrifices to preserve our freedoms such as the right to have a rowdy protest.

So, unlike the modern hand wringers, I doubt he'll be concerned with a bit of paint on his statue.
(edited 3 years ago)
We can argue all we like about whether people were/weren't racist and whether their statues should be defaced/removed but nobody has ever walked past one of those statues and felt inspired to become a racist.
More helpful would be to root out the real causes of racism in modern society and instill proper change in people. We need to get to the root of the vile hatred that some people have for black people and do something about it that will actually make a difference in the way racist people think.
No hardened racist is going to realise they are wrong and change because a statue of someone they'd never heard of was thrown into some water in Bristol.
I get why people are doing it because it makes it seem like things are being done about it, quickly. But actually any real change is unfortunately going to be a far longer effort with people doing things that may seem much less significant, but will build up to something better, in every second of every day of their lives, not just when it's trending on Twitter.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jamiet0185
We can argue all we like about whether people were/weren't racist and whether their statues should be defaced/removed but nobody has ever walked past one of those statues and felt inspired to become a racist.
More helpful would be to root out the real causes of racism in modern society and instill proper change in people. We need to get to the root of the vile hatred that some people have for black people and do something about it that will actually make a difference in the way racist people think.
No hardened racist is going to realise they are wrong and change because a statue of someone they'd never heard of was thrown into some water in Bristol.
I get why people are doing it because it makes it seem like things are being done about it, quickly. But actually any real change is unfortunately going to be a far longer effort with people doing things that may seem much less significant, but will build up to something better, in every second of every day of their lives, not just when it's trending on Twitter.

There's no argument on whether they were racist. Churchill was racist to the bone, and most people don't care. Clearly their actions speak for themselves.

Owning slaves speaks for itself, too.
Original post by Poooky
There's no argument on whether they were racist. Churchill was racist to the bone, and most people don't care. Clearly their actions speak for themselves.

Owning slaves speaks for itself, too.

You're right, he was a racist, and I condemn that thoroughly
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Churchill is like many historical figures, he has good and bad to his character.
He is both a hero and villain. Being a racist does not take away the fact he helped win us the war. But equally, helping to win the war does not make him counteract him being a racist.

It's hard to say really...opens up a lot of trick moral questions.
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
Churchill is like many historical figures, he has good and bad to his character.
He is both a hero and villain. Being a racist does not take away the fact he helped win us the war. But equally, helping to win the war does not make him counteract him being a racist.

It's hard to say really...opens up a lot of trick moral questions.

The Soviets also helped us win the war. In fact they lost more soldiers than the United States and Britain did. Yet, they are still continuously painted as evil commies.
Reply 8
So if they hate churchill and everything he did/stood for does that mean they supported hitler instead? (:
Reply 9
Original post by Wōden

I was far more enraged by that chinless POS who tried set fire to the flags on the Cenotaph.

Hang him.
Original post by Wōden
Churchill was undoubtedly a flawed man and ultimately a product of his time, and since so many members of BLM and the like have demonstrated that they don't know how to view history in context, I'm not surprised they targeted it. It's annoying, but somewhat understandable.

This 100%.
Original post by Napp
So if they hate churchill and everything he did/stood for does that mean they supported hitler instead? (:

8/10
Original post by BuckHowls
The Soviets also helped us win the war. In fact they lost more soldiers than the United States and Britain did. Yet, they are still continuously painted as evil commies.

That’s because they were... but are still revered in Russia, because... well... they’re Russians and they’re part of Russian history. Karl Marx has a bust in London, doesn’t he? (Yes I know he’s not Russian).

They also deployed more soldiers, were far less equipped than the US, Britain and the Wehrmacht, and their tactics led to more casualties (Stalingrad for instance)
Screw these protests. They can’t expect anybody to side with them when they pull stuff like this
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Occitanie
8/10

I thought a solid 8.5 at least :tongue:
Original post by jamiet0185

If we were to remove the statue of such an emblematic figurehead of British resilience and determination as Churchill, we’d actually be emboldening those hardened racists.
Original post by Napp
I thought a solid 8.5 at least :tongue:

OK OK OK, a 9 since you’re a top geeza!
Reply 17
Original post by Wōden

Likewise! And some scumbag graffitied the Cenotaph with 'BLM', which seems to have had less publicity than the Winston Churchill incident. And parked a bike on the plinth. I'd like to see the lowlife doing this being locked in a room with a few serving personnel. Even the Chelsea Pensioners would give them a run for their money! :mad::mad:
Reply 18
Original post by Surnia
Likewise! And some scumbag graffitied the Cenotaph with 'BLM', which seems to have had less publicity than the Winston Churchill incident. And parked a bike on the plinth. I'd like to see the lowlife doing this being locked in a room with a few serving personnel. Even the Chelsea Pensioners would give them a run for their money! :mad::mad:

It's almost touching that these filth think they have the right to deface such venerated monuments.
Disparaging the man who saved this country from the Nazis (ironic given Hitler would have rubbed them out), graffiting the soldiers who kept us free - someone else (might have been Occitane) showing them vandalising a black battalion monument (admittedly in the US)
It all goes to show that these vile little hooligans decidedly represent no one other than themselves. As you alluded to, it would be rather satisfying seeing them be locked in a cell with someone of the people they're abusing and seeing what happens.
I was listening to the news yesterday and they were talking about if you take these statues and monuments down and destroy then how are the future generations going to learn about the struggles that black people had to face

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending