The Student Room Group

Applying to prestigious unis?

I’m in year 12 and will be applying to uni this year for entrance in 2021, and I’m trying to get an idea about how many universities with higher entrance requirements I should apply to.

I’m studying 2 A-levels, a BTEC diploma worth 2 A-levels and an EPQ. It’s only June so I don’t have any predicted grades yet, but I’m guessing that I will be predicted grades anywhere between ABB DM and BBC MM. Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to apply to many Russell Group universities/prestigious universities with these predictions? The course I am most passionate about applying for at the University of Manchester has entry requirements of ADM, but I’d imagine that these would differ since I’m studying more than one A-level and an EPQ with the BTEC.

I know it’s a bit of a vague question, but I’m not exactly looking for an exact answer, I’m just trying to get a general feel for how applications to prestigious unis should look in terms of predicted grades.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So you can apply for 5 unis ( I am in the same situation)

Personally I am applying for one uni I like that has lower entry requirements sort of as a backup

3 that I love and are sort of middle grades

And then 2 prestigious

Just so I have a variety, if I don’t get accepted then I’ll either defer and reapply or accept a lower offer!

Hope this helps :smile:
*2 that I love sorry 😂😂
Original post by Sophie7703

Personally I am applying for one uni I like that has lower entry requirements sort of as a backup

And then 2 prestigious

Just so I have a variety, if I don’t get accepted then I’ll either defer and reapply or accept a lower offer!

Thanks, that helps :smile:
A good mix would be nice! Maybe 1 or 2 ambitious choices, 2 choices that you 100% feel like you'd definitely get the grades for and 1 back-up choice just in case. :rambo:
Original post by Sophie7703

And then 2 prestigious

I realise you said the exact same thing I just repeated everything. :lol: My bad for parroting without reading!

That said, great minds think alike. :cool:
Original post by Quick-use
A good mix would be nice! Maybe 1 or 2 ambitious choices, 2 choices that you 100% feel like you'd definitely get the grades for and 1 back-up choice just in case. :rambo:

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Quick-use
I realise you said the exact same thing I just repeated everything. :lol: My bad for parroting without reading!

That said, great minds think alike. :cool:

Haha! That’s so funny and you are totally correct😎😂
Original post by hidered
I’m in year 12 and will be applying to uni this year for entrance in 2021, and I’m trying to get an idea about how many universities with higher entrance requirements I should apply to.

I’m studying 2 A-levels, a BTEC diploma worth 2 A-levels and an EPQ. It’s only June so I don’t have any predicted grades yet, but I’m guessing that I will be predicted grades anywhere between ABB DM and BBC MM. Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to apply to many Russell Group universities/prestigious universities with these predictions? The course I am most passionate about applying for at the University of Manchester has entry requirements of ADM, but I’d imagine that these would differ since I’m studying more than one A-level and an EPQ with the BTEC.

I know it’s a bit of a vague question, but I’m not exactly looking for an exact answer, I’m just trying to get a general feel for how applications to prestigious unis should look in terms of predicted grades.

I agree with everyone else and encourage you to apply to Manchester plus other top unis. Most have no problem with the BTEC & A level combo as long as you meet the entry requirements
My first fear is that you are overloading yourself needlessly. 2 A levels and a Btec worth another 2 and an EPQ is putting at risk you getting higher grades. Nearly every course the offer is based on 3 A levels or equivalents and the higher the grades you get the more chance you have of getting into the best universities. Universities dont look at you doing more than 3 subjects and drop grades.

You dont say what subject the BTEC is in. That might be a factor as will your A level subjects and it might help knowing what course you intend studying.

My initial thought is you drop one of your A levels and EPQ. You could go with your best A level and your BTEC diploma as long as the BTEC is in an appropriate subject. That way you can concentrate on getting your best results ADD will get you into most universities. The other option would be to take 2 A levels and a subsidiary BTEC worth 1 A level especially if this isnt in an appropriate subject.
Original post by harrysbar
I agree with everyone else and encourage you to apply to Manchester plus other top unis. Most have no problem with the BTEC & A level combo as long as you meet the entry requirements

Thanks, that’s helpful and raises my confidence a bit haha
Original post by swanseajack1
My first fear is that you are overloading yourself needlessly. 2 A levels and a Btec worth another 2 and an EPQ is putting at risk you getting higher grades. Nearly every course the offer is based on 3 A levels or equivalents and the higher the grades you get the more chance you have of getting into the best universities. Universities dont look at you doing more than 3 subjects and drop grades.

You dont say what subject the BTEC is in. That might be a factor as will your A level subjects and it might help knowing what course you intend studying.

My initial thought is you drop one of your A levels and EPQ. You could go with your best A level and your BTEC diploma as long as the BTEC is in an appropriate subject. That way you can concentrate on getting your best results ADD will get you into most universities. The other option would be to take 2 A levels and a subsidiary BTEC worth 1 A level especially if this isnt in an appropriate subject.

Thanks for the reply :smile: The subjects I was originally taking (one A-level, the EPQ and BTEC applied science) didn’t quite meet the entry requirements for the most of the courses that I’m looking into, so I decided to take A-level politics as well. The workload isn’t too much because a lot of the science exam work isn’t nearly as hard as an A-level in science, and I really enjoy writing essays so A-level politics was a good choice. The thing with applied science is that it was my first time ever doing coursework and I might not have achieved a high enough grade on a few assignments, so the extra A-level is a good idea. Other than the previous science coursework, everything is going smoothly and the workload is about the same as someone studying 3 A-levels. Plus, the EPQ is nearly finished now so that will let me concentrate more on my other subjects
(edited 3 years ago)
It certainly is the exception rather than the rule that an A level and Applied Science BTEC isnt acceptable. Nearly everywhere accepts the Applied Science other than for Medicine. What courses and what university weren't accepting it.

I attach a couple of details. Firstly Manchester for Psychology

BTEC National Extended Diploma

We require successful completion of a BTEC National Extended Diploma at grades D*D*D in a science-based subject.

BTEC National Diploma

We require successful completion of a BTEC National Diploma at grades DD in a science-based subject with one A-level at grade A. If the BTEC National Diploma is in a non-science subject, the A-level must be in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.

Here is Bristol for Law

D*DD in a relevant subject
It certainly is the exception rather than the rule that an A level and Applied Science BTEC isnt acceptable. Nearly everywhere accepts the Applied Science other than for Medicine. What courses and what university weren't accepting it.

I attach a couple of details. Firstly Manchester for Psychology

BTEC National Extended Diploma

We require successful completion of a BTEC National Extended Diploma at grades D*D*D in a science-based subject.

BTEC National Diploma

We require successful completion of a BTEC National Diploma at grades DD in a science-based subject with one A-level at grade A. If the BTEC National Diploma is in a non-science subject, the A-level must be in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology.

Here is Bristol for Law

D*DD in a relevant subject

Yeah, you’re right that some courses will accept a specific BTEC.

One course that I’m looking at is philosophy and politics at UoM and the entry requirements state that a BTEC diploma must be in a relevant subject. The entry requirements also say that A-level French and A-level politics are subjects they accept for entry onto the course.

I don’t think UoM minds which BTEC a student has for that particular course because there aren’t many BTECs that would be considered to be in a relevant subject for philosophy/politics.
Original post by hidered
Yeah, you’re right that some courses will accept a specific BTEC.

One course that I’m looking at is philosophy and politics at UoM and the entry requirements state that a BTEC diploma must be in a relevant subject. The entry requirements also say that A-level French and A-level politics are subjects they accept for entry onto the course.

I don’t think UoM minds which BTEC a student has for that particular course because there aren’t many BTECs that would be considered to be in a relevant subject for philosophy/politics.

I have just checked the course you mentioned and there is nothing to suggest you need 2 A levels and a BTEC diploma.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma
- accepted with grades DM in combination with an A-level at grade A in a different subject area to the diploma.

The subject list is not unusual. Most universities have suggested A levels. Most universities have been using this preferred subject list for years whilst the Russell Group have been going on about the facilitating subject which nearly all their members didnt follow.

Applicants must be studying at least one of the following A-level subjects: Accounting; Economics; Finance; Business Studies; Development Studies; Government and Politics; Economic and Social History; Mathematics; Anthropology; Sociology; Philosophy; Religious Studies; English Language; English Literature; Geography; Psychology; Classical Civilisation; History; Archaeology; Communication Studies; Environmental Studies; World Development; Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Modern Languages.

As far as the BTEC subject it does matter. Generally things like Applied Science, Business, Law and Psychology will be accepted. Sometimes things like Public services wont and say Hairdressing wont be acceptable.
He's going to hate me for quoting him again but @nathan_nacu has an offer from Manchester to read Law with a CTEC in science plus one A level in Sociology (predicted grade A) @hidered
I have just checked the course you mentioned and there is nothing to suggest you need 2 A levels and a BTEC diploma.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma
- accepted with grades DM in combination with an A-level at grade A in a different subject area to the diploma.

The subject list is not unusual. Most universities have suggested A levels. Most universities have been using this preferred subject list for years whilst the Russell Group have been going on about the facilitating subject which nearly all their members didnt follow.

Applicants must be studying at least one of the following A-level subjects: Accounting; Economics; Finance; Business Studies; Development Studies; Government and Politics; Economic and Social History; Mathematics; Anthropology; Sociology; Philosophy; Religious Studies; English Language; English Literature; Geography; Psychology; Classical Civilisation; History; Archaeology; Communication Studies; Environmental Studies; World Development; Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Modern Languages.

As far as the BTEC subject it does matter. Generally things like Applied Science, Business, Law and Psychology will be accepted. Sometimes things like Public services wont and say Hairdressing wont be acceptable.

Alright, thanks for the help :smile: Hopefully it this thread will help anyone else in the same/a similar situation as well. I’m still going to stay with the subjects I’ve chosen because I’m really enjoying them so far and papers/mock type tests have gone well
so my predicted grades were anywhere between AAA and BBC and I applied to Warwick, Cardiff, Portsmouth, Sussex and Essex. This meant 2 Russell group, 2 ok unis, and a back up (ports offered unconditional)
Original post by harrysbar
He's going to hate me for quoting him again but @nathan_nacu has an offer from Manchester to read Law with a CTEC in science plus one A level in Sociology (predicted grade A) @hidered

Ah, nice! It sounds like Manchester might be a bit more lenient than *some* other Russell Group unis in terms of entry requirements and BTECs/CTECs. I’ve seen that York, for example, has way higher entry requirements for some courses even though the course content isn’t wildly different
York asks for AAA or DDD or a mix. Just because a university asks for that doesnt mean they wont accept lower on results day. Most do. 40% of students get in with 2 or more grades below. Note the 3 subject requirement again not 4.

Quick Reply