The Student Room Group

Changing Course and University: SFE's implications

Hi!

I am taking a CertHE course at a university with SFE support regarding payments for tuition fees and Maintenance Loan.

It turns out that I want to interrupt the current course and switch to a master's course at another university. So I would like to know the following:

1- Is this change to a postgraduate course possible?

2- How can it affect my situation at SFE (regarding tuition fees and maintenance loan)?

Thank you.
Original post by Calmey
Hi!

I am taking a CertHE course at a university with SFE support regarding payments for tuition fees and Maintenance Loan.

It turns out that I want to interrupt the current course and switch to a master's course at another university. So I would like to know the following:

1- Is this change to a postgraduate course possible?

2- How can it affect my situation at SFE (regarding tuition fees and maintenance loan)?

Thank you.

Hi there, previous undergraduate study does not affect your eligibility to get funding for a postgraduate loan. You can view the eligibility criteria and more information here http://ow.ly/Ny1s30oSf1Y
In regards to the second question, it will only affect your undergraduate loan if you withdraw as you could be asked to pay money back if you were overpaid.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, previous undergraduate study does not affect your eligibility to get funding for a postgraduate loan. You can view the eligibility criteria and more information here http://ow.ly/Ny1s30oSf1Y
In regards to the second question, it will only affect your undergraduate loan if you withdraw as you could be asked to pay money back if you were overpaid.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you very much for the answer and the clarifications, Isaac.
Reply 3
Hi Isaac!

I was reading the content on the link you sent and, unfortunately, I'm not able to apply for a postgraduate master's loan this year because I have not yet completed three years living in the UK.

So, I will complete the CertHE course that I am taking now and will apply for the graduate loan next year.

Thanks again for your support, it was really very important to me.
Original post by Calmey
Hi Isaac!

I was reading the content on the link you sent and, unfortunately, I'm not able to apply for a postgraduate master's loan this year because I have not yet completed three years living in the UK.

So, I will complete the CertHE course that I am taking now and will apply for the graduate loan next year.

Thanks again for your support, it was really very important to me.

You're welcome and we hope you have a great day.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 5
You're welcome and we hope you have a great day.
Thanks, Isaac

Hello Isaac, good morning.

I hope everything is fine with you.

I am determined to make a decision and would like to get some clarification from you. I want to immediately abandon the course that I am now taking to join a course in an area of interest, at another university. So my doubts are in relation to two issues:

1) The new course only starts in September 2020
2) It is a CertHE course fully provided online

By making this change will I still be eligible for Student Finance England funding?

Thank you.
Original post by Calmey
Hello Isaac, good morning.

I hope everything is fine with you.

I am determined to make a decision and would like to get some clarification from you. I want to immediately abandon the course that I am now taking to join a course in an area of interest, at another university. So my doubts are in relation to two issues:

1) The new course only starts in September 2020
2) It is a CertHE course fully provided online

By making this change will I still be eligible for Student Finance England funding?

Thank you.

Hi again, I'm doing fine thank you :smile: I hope you are too.

Your new query confuses me slightly, because your first post stated you are already studying a certHE course but your latest post you are stating you want to study a new CertHE distance learning course. Are you withdrawing from your current CertHE course to start another?

Please could you clarify everything for me.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 7
Hi again, I'm doing fine thank you :smile: I hope you are too.

Your new query confuses me slightly, because your first post stated you are already studying a certHE course but your latest post you are stating you want to study a new CertHE distance learning course. Are you withdrawing from your current CertHE course to start another?

Please could you clarify everything for me.

Thanks, Isaac

"Are you withdrawing from your current CertHE course to start another?"

Yes, that's what I want to do.

Thanks.
Original post by Calmey
"Are you withdrawing from your current CertHE course to start another?"

Yes, that's what I want to do.

Thanks.

How many years of previous higher education study do you have? Have you received any qualification at all? Could you also provide the exact university name and exact course name?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 9
How many years of previous higher education study do you have? Have you received any qualification at all? Could you also provide the exact university name and exact course name?
Thanks, Isaac

1) I never studied in UK, but I did all primary and secondary education in my country (12 years in total). That is why I was able to enter the CertHE course that I am currently taking at a University.

2) I never received any academic qualification.

3) University of West London; Creative Sound Production (CertHE)

Thanks a lote.
Original post by Calmey
1) I never studied in UK, but I did all primary and secondary education in my country (12 years in total). That is why I was able to enter the CertHE course that I am currently taking at a University.

2) I never received any academic qualification.

3) University of West London; Creative Sound Production (CertHE)

Thanks a lote.

If you have never received a CertHE qualification previously then you should be funding.

Please advise on how many years of previous higher education funding you have, only higher education not your 12 years primary secondary and further education.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 11
If you have never received a CertHE qualification previously then you should be funding.

Please advise on how many years of previous higher education funding you have, only higher education not your 12 years primary secondary and further education.
Thanks, Isaac

I never had any Higher Education funding before, only in the CertHE course that I started in February of this year.

Thanks.
Original post by Calmey
I never had any Higher Education funding before, only in the CertHE course that I started in February of this year.

Thanks.

All eligible students are given one additional year of funding, the CertHe course you are withdrawing from will be your additional year of funding. This means you should be eligible for the length of your new course.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 13
All eligible students are given one additional year of funding, the CertHe course you are withdrawing from will be your additional year of funding. This means you should be eligible for the length of your new course.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you, Isaac.
This is great news. But I still need your help in order to do all the things correctly. So the steps I need to follow are:

1-Apply for the new course
2-If approved, contact my university to withdraw the current course
3-Apply for SFE funding for the new course

Please, can you confirm that it is right?

Thanks.
Original post by Calmey
Thank you, Isaac.
This is great news. But I still need your help in order to do all the things correctly. So the steps I need to follow are:

1-Apply for the new course
2-If approved, contact my university to withdraw the current course
3-Apply for SFE funding for the new course

Please, can you confirm that it is right?

Thanks.

Yes, you must make sure your current application is withdrawn before you apply for finance for the new course.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending