The Student Room Group

REDO YEAR 12 - medicine/dentistry (COVID)

Hi, i was studying chemistry, maths, biology for a level from September 2019 -February 2020.

But in Feb 2020 i couldn’t go back to that school to continue learning due to covid and my parents losing their job and have now missed 5 months of learning.

I am planning to go to a different school this september but they require me to restart year 12. (school admissions were closed everywhere due to covid so i has no school to go to)

i would like to apply for dentistry/medicine but know that they don’t like a levels done in 3 years. Could they consider my circumstances?? would it be a good idea to contact universities about this?

thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by MinyardJosten
Hi, i was studying chemistry, maths, biology for a level from September 2019 -February 2020.

But in Feb 2020 i couldn’t go back to that school to continue learning due to covid and my parents losing their job and have now missed 5 months of learning.

I am planning to go to a different school this september but they require me to restart year 12. (school admissions were closed everywhere due to covid so i has no school to go to)

i would like to apply for dentistry/medicine but know that they don’t like a levels done in 3 years. Could they consider my circumstances?? would it be a good idea to contact universities about this?

thank you!!

Definitely contact them. You can email them regarding the undergrad course you want to do. I'm struggling with same thing about retaking. Lots of people have said to email the unis about any questions I have. Most will say that they take into consideration your extenuating circumstances and you can normally include it in your personal statement when applying through UCAS.
Original post by g.ttt
Definitely contact them. You can email them regarding the undergrad course you want to do. I'm struggling with same thing about retaking. Lots of people have said to email the unis about any questions I have. Most will say that they take into consideration your extenuating circumstances and you can normally include it in your personal statement when applying through UCAS.

I totally agree but dont put it in your personal statement though. It should be in your reference or some sort of section where you can mention it like cambridge's SAQ
Some medical schools are definitely okay with you doing A levels in 3 years. You will be able to see it on their websites if they are okay with it. If they aren't okay, you could contact them and explain your circumstances.
Original post by g.ttt

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate the help!! I'll definitely email different unis and ask them directly, I'm sure they would have to take into account any extenuating circumstances, especially now due to covid.
Hopefully your situation of retaking will work out as well!! :wink::wink:
Original post by PetitePanda
I totally agree but dont put it in your personal statement though. It should be in your reference or some sort of section where you can mention it like cambridge's SAQ

Thanks for you reply! Hopefully when I go back to school I can ask for guidance on informing universities of my circumstances and look into where I should include it.
may be able to weigh in, but I'm skeptical whether the coronavirus will be accepted as a reason to sit your A-levels over three years, since you would be doing the same subjects. Additionally, all applicants would be affected by it and presumably most will have still done their A-levels in two years.

It's unclear to me why you need to change schools, and you say that you have missed 5 months of learning but lockdown only started on March 23rd. Also schools should have provided work for you to do in lockdown, so you should have been independently working in that in this time anyway.
Original post by Emily5243
Some medical schools are definitely okay with you doing A levels in 3 years. You will be able to see it on their websites if they are okay with it. If they aren't okay, you could contact them and explain your circumstances.

Thank you! I'll definitely find out which unis do take A-Levels in 3 years, so I can at least have some options to study medicine. And contacting them directly for advice is probably the best way to know
Original post by artful_lounger
@ecolier may be able to weigh in, but I'm skeptical whether the coronavirus will be accepted as a reason to sit your A-levels over three years, since you would be doing the same subjects. Additionally, all applicants would be affected by it and presumably most will have still done their A-levels in two years.

It's unclear to me why you need to change schools, and you say that you have missed 5 months of learning but lockdown only started on March 23rd. Also schools should have provided work for you to do in lockdown, so you should have been independently working in that in this time anyway.

I didn't really explain this very well (sorry)! Hopefully this clears it up (it is quite a confusing situation)

But I was previously going to a paid private school but in February my parents lost their jobs and so I couldn't go back to that school. They were hoping to send me back there quickly after finding a new job so I would only missing a few weeks and be able to catch up.

But then there was the lockdown so they were unable to work anyway and were left without jobs. Therefore it was decided that I would move to a new free school, but all the admissions to new schools were closed until recently due to lockdown. So I haven't been to school since February and had no school to provide me any work.

I just heard back from the schools but they said they couldn't accept me into year 13 as they all did different exam boards and the course was "2 years" so I would have to start in year 12.

I have been doing as much independent work at home as possible to try and keep up.
Original post by MinyardJosten
I didn't really explain this very well (sorry)! Hopefully this clears it up (it is quite a confusing situation)

But I was previously going to a paid private school but in February my parents lost their jobs and so I couldn't go back to that school. They were hoping to send me back there quickly after finding a new job so I would only missing a few weeks and be able to catch up.

But then there was the lockdown so they were unable to work anyway and were left without jobs. Therefore it was decided that I would move to a new free school, but all the admissions to new schools were closed until recently due to lockdown. So I haven't been to school since February and had no school to provide me any work.

I just heard back from the schools but they said they couldn't accept me into year 13 as they all did different exam boards and the course was "2 years" so I would have to start in year 12.

I have been doing as much independent work at home as possible to try and keep up.

You're legally required to be in full time education or training until the age of 18 - why didn't your parents contact the local authority to arrange schooling for you when you were forced to leave your school originally?

In any case, your only option is to throw yourself at the mercy of admissions committees and hope they are sympathetic. I have no idea whether your circumstances would be sufficient for medical schools specifically to waive their requirement of sitting A-levels in the normal time frame...
Original post by username4940518

thank you!!

I am thinking of retaking y12 too let me know if you found out any news 😣
Original post by JUNE14_ 2002
I am thinking of retaking y12 too let me know if you found out any news 😣

I am resitting yr 12. What are your concerns about it?
Original post by PetitePanda
I am resitting yr 12. What are your concerns about it?

Some unis are strict when it comes to this is what I found out while searching on google but I’m still retaking cause it’s my best shot at getting the grades I want
Original post by JUNE14_ 2002
Some unis are strict when it comes to this is what I found out while searching on google but I’m still retaking cause it’s my best shot at getting the grades I want

What course? Any extenuating circumstances?
Original post by username4940518

thank you!

Hey! How did it go? Did you end up resitting year 12?

Quick Reply

Latest