The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea or Bath?

I'm an international student and I have recieved offers from Swansea and Bath for their Clinical Psychology Masters course. I know that Bath is highly ranked for the dept and in general while Swansea ranks lower. However Swansea offers placement which I think is really important. I've also heard a lot of conflicting stuff about Swansea and I'm not sure how to take it. I'm honestly not sure how I should weigh the two. I'd really appreciate the help.Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm an international student and I have recieved offers from Swansea and Bath for their Clinical Psychology Masters course. I know that Bath is highly ranked for the dept and in general while Swansea ranks lower. However Swansea offers placement which I think is really important. I've also heard a lot of conflicting stuff about Swansea and I'm not sure how to take it. I'm honestly not sure how I should weigh the two. I'd really appreciate the help.Thanks in advance!

I would pick Bath in a heartbeat - the uni is higher ranked overall and for Psychology, it's a beautiful city and placements aren't always as good as students think as you generally have to find them yourself
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
I don’t know anything about the courses or much about the uni, but I’m from Swansea if you have any questions about living there or the city and stuff.
Bath is one of the uks leading university and for that reason bath would be number one. However it is quite a small expensive city which is not very diverse. Swansea is over double the size and offers better nightlife. Only you can choose but nearly everybody would choose Bath.
I would pick Bath, personally. You can have a placement when you graduate, there's no need to have one offered by the university.
Original post by swanseajack1
Only you can choose but nearly everybody would choose Bath.

And that's coming from swanseajack
Original post by harrysbar
And that's coming from swanseajack

Bath is actually my favourite English city along with Worcester and the university is right there near the top alongside the likes of Exeter but Swansea would definitely offer more in terms of nightlife and would be considerably cheaper.
Reply 7
I would pick Bath in a heartbeat - the uni is higher ranked overall and for Psychology, it's a beautiful city and placements aren't always as good as students think as you generally have to find them yourself

Okay Harry that's good to know. I had placed a lot of emphasis on Swansea exclusively for its placement module, but I guess even the faculty knew that it wasn't a very big deal- they had introduced it since many students got placed for it anyway and wanted credits for it too.
Reply 8
Original post by RiaWombat
I don’t know anything about the courses or much about the uni, but I’m from Swansea if you have any questions about living there or the city and stuff.

Hi Ria, thanks for replying!
In light of the fact that I'm really not into partying, is Swansea a good place to be? I've heard mixed reviews about Swansea, all from people who don't stay there though, and I'd like an insider's opinion. Its cheap, sure, and its got stunning beaches which I really appreciate, but is there stuff to do in the city apart from that?
I hope I don't sound offensive, I just want a clearer idea on city life at Swansea, and on stuff to look forward to (and look out for if need be).
Reply 9
Bath is one of the uks leading university and for that reason bath would be number one. However it is quite a small expensive city which is not very diverse. Swansea is over double the size and offers better nightlife. Only you can choose but nearly everybody would choose Bath.

Okay, Appreciate the honesty there!
I would pick Bath, personally. You can have a placement when you graduate, there's no need to have one offered by the university.

Thanks for your opinion. The major reason i wanted a placement was so that I could get a taste of working in the field before having to actually get a job in it, that's the reason why it featured so heavily in my choice.

How heavily does Uni ranking feature later on when looking for jobs? I read that employers don't really look at institute anymore, rather they emphasise your grades and experience and stuff like that. Just generally asking.
In light of the fact that I'm really not into partying, is Swansea a good place to be? I've heard mixed reviews about Swansea, all from people who don't stay there though, and I'd like an insider's opinion. Its cheap, sure, and its got stunning beaches which I really appreciate, but is there stuff to do in the city apart from that?
I hope I don't sound offensive, I just want a clearer idea on city life at Swansea, and on stuff to look forward to (and look out for if need be).

The nature around the city is absolutely stunning as well as the bay. The city itself got destroyed in ww2 and rebuilt so it’s not the prettiest, particularly in comparison to Bath. I’d say there’s a decent about to do it’s got the basics like cinema, bowling ally, restaurants. If you love walking or stuff like surfing it’ll be good. I think the public transport is really good you can get on to the Gower relatively easily which is where the nice beaches are. I can’t really tell you about clubs because I’m currently underage but there’s a few in town and then there’s the Uplands which is close to the uni campus and has the slightly edgier, more alternative bars and restaurants. The uni has also got some really lovely parks right near it.
Overall it’s not the most exciting city to live in but it’s well connected, safe and the nature is stunning. Hmu if you have anymore questions.
I should probably say that I don’t personally see a future for myself here but a lot of people never move away.
The nature around the city is absolutely stunning as well as the bay. The city itself got destroyed in ww2 and rebuilt so it’s not the prettiest, particularly in comparison to Bath. I’d say there’s a decent about to do it’s got the basics like cinema, bowling ally, restaurants. If you love walking or stuff like surfing it’ll be good. I think the public transport is really good you can get on to the Gower relatively easily which is where the nice beaches are. I can’t really tell you about clubs because I’m currently underage but there’s a few in town and then there’s the Uplands which is close to the uni campus and has the slightly edgier, more alternative bars and restaurants. The uni has also got some really lovely parks right near it.
Overall it’s not the most exciting city to live in but it’s well connected, safe and the nature is stunning. Hmu if you have anymore questions.
I should probably say that I don’t personally see a future for myself here but a lot of people never move away.

Okay that's great. I love the idea of being close to the beaches and nature so its definitely a one-up there. But yeah if anything, I don't plan on staying longer than my uni course anyways and it seems to be good enough for that duration anyhow. I'm still juggling my choices and this definitely helps.
Just thought of this, does not knowing Welsh put you at a disadvantage here? Even if I am staying at the uni, would it ever be an issue?
Okay that's great. I love the idea of being close to the beaches and nature so its definitely a one-up there. But yeah if anything, I don't plan on staying longer than my uni course anyways and it seems to be good enough for that duration anyhow. I'm still juggling my choices and this definitely helps.
Just thought of this, does not knowing Welsh put you at a disadvantage here? Even if I am staying at the uni, would it ever be an issue?

Because of the university and it’s size as a city, Swansea isn’t really a very welsh place. Barely anybody speaks welsh. My welsh is shockingly bad.
It’s more so the north and the west of wales that have a lot more welsh speaking. The closest place to Swansea I’ve heard it spoken is Carmarthen which is over an hour away.

This might give you some idea. It is a little bit old but quite a nice video. A few things have changed since then. Some shops have closed and new ones opened and I suspect many will now close wherever you go due to coronavirus. Swansea is a lovely city. Much friendlier than English cities. Its location is what makes it special. It is housed right on the sea front and the university itself is in a huge park directly opposite the beach. You might have read some of the adverse publicity that has been in the National Press about the High Street. The truth is that High Street hasnt been the main street since the 1970s and other than going to or from the train station nobody will go there.

The area around the station and further out of the city has been a problem for many years although it has been cleaned up in recent years. I worked in that are for 35 years so know it well. It has never been particularly unsafe but many alcoholics and drug addicts have congregated there. As I say it is something you never need to experience.

The rest of the city is really nice. Swansea Market has recently been given the UKs best indoor market award. In terms of shopping it isnt as good as Bath. It doesnt have John Lewis or House of Fraser but has most mid and low price shops which students tend to use. We have a really nice Debenhams and Marks and Spencer and other shops like Next, Top Shop, River Island and cheaper shops like Primark, Peacocks and New Look. The are numerous Costa's in the city centre. There is a Waterstones for books and a really nice Wilko's for all student essentials. There is a large Tesco next to the bus station and also a large Sainsbury's close to the city centre. We also have Asda and Morrison's but they are out of Town so might not be suitable for you.

Swansea has a stunning marina with lots of boats and has numerous resturants there.

The main nightlife area is Wind Street a couple of minutes walk from the shops and there are numerous restaurants and Bars there including Nando's, TGI Fridays, Frankie and Benny's, Five Guys, Ask,Wetherspoons and Picture and Piano. Throughout Swansea there are loads of restaurants ranging from English, Italian, Portugese, Greek, Turkish, French, American, Chinese, Indian, Caribbean, Cuban and many more. There is also a 24 hour Mcdonalds.

There are 3 theatres, 2 large multi screen cimemas and Bowling centres, a very good and popular Leisure Centre and many clubs.

What makes Swansea different is the seaside. There are lovely walks along the promenade to stunning Mumbles should you wish that. There are buses out to Gower beaches and some are stunning like Oxwich, Caswell, and Three Cliffs. Rhossilli has been in the top 10 beaches worldwide. You could also catch a bus to the Brecon Beacons mountain range and is a really nice journey. At the foot of the Beacons is the Danyrogof showcaves which is open April to October and over Christmas. There are lots of things you can do but ignore much of the adverse publicity that has been made about a very small part of the city.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+student+videos&&view=detail&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dswansea%2Bstudent%2Bvideos%26FORM%3DHDRSC3
Because of the university and it’s size as a city, Swansea isn’t really a very welsh place. Barely anybody speaks welsh. My welsh is shockingly bad.
It’s more so the north and the west of wales that have a lot more welsh speaking. The closest place to Swansea I’ve heard it spoken is Carmarthen which is over an hour away.

There is a lot of Welsh spoken in some of the villages in the Swansea, Amman and Gwendraeth Valleys but basically everyone speaks English so it wont be a disadvantage to OP. They might come across a few speaking Welsh at the university and some courses are taught in Welsh as well as English for those who require it but nearly everyone will mainly converse in English.

How heavily does Uni ranking feature later on when looking for jobs? I read that employers don't really look at institute anymore, rather they emphasise your grades and experience and stuff like that. Just generally asking.

Employers aren't exactly checking league tables every 5 minutes but Bath is just very well known in the UK as one of the leading unis. Although it's not Russell group due to its small size, it is comparable prestige wise to the better ones in that group like Bristol & Warwick.

Grades and experience will be more important than the uni you attend but a 2.1 from Bath will be considered better than a 2.1 from Swansea by certain employers, so it really depends on where you end up applying as to whether the uni you attend could make a difference to your employability. The NHS doesn't really care about prestige, but Bath is well known as having good employability statistics, mainly because they have an excellent careers service and lots of contact with employers.
Employers aren't exactly checking league tables every 5 minutes but Bath is just very well known in the UK as one of the leading unis. Although it's not Russell group due to its small size, it is comparable prestige wise to the better ones in that group like Bristol & Warwick.

Grades and experience will be more important than the uni you attend but a 2.1 from Bath will be considered better than a 2.1 from Swansea by certain employers, so it really depends on where you end up applying as to whether the uni you attend could make a difference to your employability. The NHS doesn't really care about prestige, but Bath is well known as having good employability statistics, mainly because they have an excellent careers service and lots of contact with employers.

Swansea has one of the highest employability rates of any university due to its connections with industry especially subjects like Engineering. The likes of Microsoft, Rolls Royce and Tata all have close links to the university.
Swansea has one of the highest employability rates of any university due to its connections with industry especially subjects like Engineering. The likes of Microsoft, Rolls Royce and Tata all have close links to the university.

Yes Swansea is brilliant for Engineering in particular

Quick Reply

Latest