The Student Room Group

A-level extra reading

Because GCSEs have been cancelled, I have decided to start looking at the A-levels im taking next year. I 'm hoping to take French, History, Politics, Spanish and EPQ. All of them are Edexcel and for history, im doing War of the roses, Mao's China, and Russia. Does anyone know any good books I could read before september?
I don't suggest reading proper books but instead, do preparation then you can read some books

For French and Spanish, I suggest you solidify your GCSE knowledge. For all of them, I would go to their spec and learn the exam structure of your topics. For French and Spanish I would go to the specification and start learning Edexcel's vocab list (if they have one ). For History, go on youtube and watch some overview of those topics so you have a rough idea of what happens and start to look at the content you will learn in AS. For Politics, I suggest getting a good understanding of our UK government, what the parties are and their beliefs and the structure of the government. For EPQ, maybe look at this course: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success and find out what you want to do for it.
Original post by PetitePanda
I don't suggest reading proper books but instead, do preparation then you can read some books

For French and Spanish, I suggest you solidify your GCSE knowledge. For all of them, I would go to their spec and learn the exam structure of your topics. For French and Spanish I would go to the specification and start learning Edexcel's vocab list (if they have one ). For History, go on youtube and watch some overview of those topics so you have a rough idea of what happens and start to look at the content you will learn in AS. For Politics, I suggest getting a good understanding of our UK government, what the parties are and their beliefs and the structure of the government. For EPQ, maybe look at this course: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success and find out what you want to do for it.

Thank you! The link was really helpful; I have an idea of what i want to do, but it helped show me what i need to be looking for
Original post by StudentPR
Because GCSEs have been cancelled, I have decided to start looking at the A-levels im taking next year. I 'm hoping to take French, History, Politics, Spanish and EPQ. All of them are Edexcel and for history, im doing War of the roses, Mao's China, and Russia. Does anyone know any good books I could read before september?

Books can be hard to recommend as some are quite hard to find or expensive, the textbooks you'll get given at school will probably be the most useful to you.

I would suggest that you look at the Youtube series on the War of the Roses (It's called "Britain's Bloody Crown") it really helped me just get the basics down for War of the Roses.

For politics the gov.uk have lots of information around committees and the importance of key structures like the House of Lords.
Original post by Leah_argent
Books can be hard to recommend as some are quite hard to find or expensive, the textbooks you'll get given at school will probably be the most useful to you.

I would suggest that you look at the Youtube series on the War of the Roses (It's called "Britain's Bloody Crown") it really helped me just get the basics down for War of the Roses.

For politics the gov.uk have lots of information around committees and the importance of key structures like the House of Lords.

Thank you so much! I was looking for some more accessible summaries of the content before the new year starts, this looks really helpful :smile:
I'm doing war of the roses too x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Leahtaylor125
I'm doing war of the roses too x

Oh that's so cool! How are you finding it? Do you think there's anything I could do to prepare for the content or any notes or revision tips? x
Original post by StudentPR
Oh that's so cool! How are you finding it? Do you think there's anything I could do to prepare for the content or any notes or revision tips? x

I'm in year 11 too but I've been set a level work, it's really good not too hard. x
(edited 3 years ago)
image-e880914f-f8fc-4c1b-928a-7ea381338c3d4243919553572706695-compressed.jpg.jpeg

i recommend this one xx
(edited 3 years ago)
apparently flash cards, essays , Past paper questions and extra reading is really good, you should check Netflix and YouTube to see if there's anything on there. as immature as it may or may not sound, you could look at horrible histories x

Quick Reply

Latest